advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who here is blind as bat and successfully ordered glasses online?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 06, 2012 08:44PM
i had an overnight trip to Chicago this weekend and was so exhausted that i needed to sleep on the plane home. when i awoke my bifocals, which i usually tuck into my collar, were no where to be found. flight attendants helped me look to no avail. we'll see if Southwest turns them up in the next day or so. good thing i had a spare pair of contact lenses in my pocket.

thought this might be an opportunity to try buying online again. tried 5 years ago with Zenni and though the customer service was exceptional the glasses didn't work for me. the ultimate conclusion by CS at the time was that my prescription was to severe for them. i'm hoping a lot has changed since 2007 and there are more online providers now.

i need progressives and my prescription is -5.75/-6.00. anyone with similar or worse deficiencies order an online pair that worked?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who here is blind as bat and successfully ordered glasses online?
Posted by: davester
Date: October 06, 2012 08:48PM
I tried to but I couldn't make out the letters on the keys. jest smiley

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 06, 2012 09:10PM
I was using progressive bifocals, but I broke my glasses and had to get something quick. I got some $15 single visions from Zenni and push them down on my nose when I need to read. Ideally, I need some progressives lenses, but they are even fairly expensive at Zenni, but my eyes change with diabetes, so I am getting by with my $15 glasses. You might try a pair of the single vision glasses to get you by and then have them as backups.

Mine are pretty well-built and I got plain lenses - nothing on them. They are still in good shape after several months.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: October 06, 2012 10:45PM
Can't say regarding strong prescription, but I've been very happy with eyebuydirect.com and goggles4u.com. Both have glass in refractive index up to 1.74, which I believe is pretty high so they should be able to do it. EyeBuy regularly has BOGO sales, and they're so cheap the risk is quite small.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 06, 2012 11:19PM
.....yes, but now they no longer make PASSES at me.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Janit
Date: October 06, 2012 11:33PM
Although I'm sure you do feel blind as a bat, -5.75/-6.00 isn't really so severe that a competent fabricator would find it difficult. My prescription is more in the range of -10, and that one IS a challenge.

The fact that you had problems with Zenni suggests that their quality control is not what it should be. Too bad.

I must confess to some curiosity about your conversations with CS, since diagnosing problems with glasses by phone has its limitations. Even in person it can be a challenge.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 06, 2012 11:39PM
Any optician can verify the prescription strength of glasses you have. So if you order from Zenni again, a local place can verify if they're correct (if there's a problem again.)

I just bought from them and mine are fine. Spot-on.

If you're skittish about buying online don't go full-featured. Just get single prescription, no extras and consider them a backup. Much cheaper and less financial risk. If it works out then place another order for the fancy pair.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 06, 2012 11:48PM
I'm -200 and worse I gave my daughter -400; for no apparent reason son escaped unscathed. Try Zenni Optical, they ship your prescription to China and two or three weeks later you have a new set of optics for about $20-40 bucks.
Posted by: Black
Date: October 07, 2012 01:45AM
deckeda
Any optician can verify the prescription strength of glasses you have. So if you order from Zenni again, a local place can verify if they're correct (if there's a problem again.)

I didn't know that. FranX was expressing concern about ordering from Zenni for his child a while back, as there would be no way to know whether they're right-- he should be interested to know this.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: October 07, 2012 01:48AM
Janit
I must confess to some curiosity about your conversations with CS, since diagnosing problems with glasses by phone has its limitations. Even in person it can be a challenge.

I also had excellent assistance from Customer service. I was trying to figure out my own adjustments to a bifocal prescription to make them computer/far instead of near/far. The numbers I put in didn't seem right to them so they contacted me and stuck with me until they were sure they knew what I was trying to do and we had the numbers down.

Date: October 07, 2012 10:08AM
deckeda

Except that there are many other possible errors in fabrication that don't relate to the "strength" per se. My last pair of glasses gave me terrible headaches, and three different opticians checked them, said they were fine, and told me that perhaps I was not suited to use progressive lenses. This made no sense to me, since I had been using progressives for five years previously.

My ophthalmologist became impatient with my questions, and resorted to sarcasm. He had medical students to teach, and I was wasting his time. (He really said that.)

In the end, I read up on optics and did some self-testing in order to describe how the glasses were affecting my vision. I found a new optometrist who was actually willing to listen to me -- she liked the fact that I was presenting her with a pile of data that sounded like an exam question.

The conclusion was that the optical centers of the lenses were improperly aligned (one was higher than the other) and that was the cause of my headaches. The glasses were re-fabricated, and, finally, the third pair worked for me.

This whole episode still makes my blood boil when I think about it. In order to gather my data, I needed to partially accommodate to the imbalanced glasses, and I couldn't drive more that a couple of miles at a time without getting headaches. When I got the good glasses, the headaches went away, but it still took me a couple of weeks to accommodate properly,

The conclusion -- all the opticians who tested them for me were lazy. They checked whether the lens markers were lined up, but not whether the grind was properly centered with respect to the lens markers. That is harder to verify.

The prescription strength was correct, but it was the prismatic imbalance that was killing me.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: October 07, 2012 10:16AM
My new prescription makes me feel tall, and I as I walk down a the sidewalk, the ground is dropping out. Floor and tables are slanted. I will see if this clears up after a couple of days. Single Vision.
Date: October 07, 2012 10:27AM
deckeda

as i said, i ordered from Zenni five years ago. at the time i did try to have my Costco contract optometrist check the prescription to see if it was done correctly. i got a lot of push back. online glasses were just starting to emerge and there was a considerable amount of skepticism and resentment. his antagonism was to the point i wondered if he was giving me the correct evaluation of the glasses. (he said the prescription on the Zenni glasses was correct.) these were progressives; IIRC the far vision was super great and reading was disorienting.

i also ordered a pair of single vision computer glasses from Zenni at the time which i wear to this day. have them on now, in fact. Maybe i'll retest the waters with a general single vision pair from Zenni. i did look at Goggles4U. they are a bit pricey for non-refundable onlines.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2012 10:28AM by graylocks.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 07, 2012 11:23AM
BTW, bats aren't blind big grin smiley
This is one of those things where it helps to use a B&M in your community rather than online. My wife has horrible eyesight and she had an issue with her latest pair. She called the store (SEE Eyewear), went there and got the 'scrip adjusted, then had her new set the next morning.
Date: October 07, 2012 11:27AM
thanks all.

i decided to order a pair of bifocals from Eyebuydirect. more expensive than Zenni, less expensive than Goggles4U. the trigger pulling factor for this company is that you can get a refund if the glasses don't work for you. there's a 10% restocking fee on bifocals but that's still better than the no refund policies of the other two companies. i'll post a review of the glasses and the experience when i get them.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 07, 2012 11:42AM
Janit

The prescription strength was correct, but it was the prismatic imbalance that was killing me.

Wow, interesting. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. patriot smiley

Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 07, 2012 12:13PM
Thanks Janit. The context of my comment was based only on going and them using my existing glasses as a starting point for the testing machine, and that there's usually some mention afterward of how much my eyes changed since then. I knew they had to have done a quick measurement of the old glasses. I can see how a quick 'n dirty check wouldn't reveal everything about the lenses.
Date: October 07, 2012 02:15PM
deckeda
Thanks Janit. The context of my comment was based only on going and them using my existing glasses as a starting point for the testing machine, and that there's usually some mention afterward of how much my eyes changed since then. I knew they had to have done a quick measurement of the old glasses. I can see how a quick 'n dirty check wouldn't reveal everything about the lenses.

Oh... you were just referencing the prescription strength... I guess I misread.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 07, 2012 07:46PM
....so after you get them......the DARK KNIGHT [BAT].....rises.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 08, 2012 08:00PM
graylocks
IIRC the far vision was super great and reading was disorienting.

Sounds like the lenses were not properly oriented. This has to do with the fact that your pupillary distance becomes smaller as you focus on nearer things. There is an imaginary line between the optical center of the far portion of the lens and the optical center of the near portion of the lens, and the orientation of this line needs to match the behavior of your pupils through different points of focus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018