advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
a Panny Lumix w/ a problem
Posted by: abevilac
Date: December 02, 2012 03:07PM
I have a Panasonic LumixTZ3 camera that was purchased at Costco in July of 2008. It was a great little camera w/ a Leica lens that I used until my hubby bought me a Nikon DSLR for Christmas last year. I decided to try to sell the Panasonic and I charged up the battery and went to take some photos to check it out. It was not having any problems before I put it away [in its box] last year but It does everything but take a photo now. It turns on, shutter opens, lens comes out, screen will allow you to see the menus, etc it just does not show an image on the screen. THe LCD will show images that are on the memory card that were taken w/ this camera last year, so the screen is working. When I press the shutter button, the flash will work but the image is all black on the screen. I also put the card in my computer and the image files show up but the image is all black.

Are there any settings that might cause this to happen? Or, does anyone have any suggestions for fixing it? I still have the receipt from Costco but I guess gone are the days when you could bring something back after all this time???
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: a Panny Lumix w/ a problem
Date: December 02, 2012 03:26PM
Ah, well, found my answer..."that the menu with previously taken images are still viewable is very significant as it indicates that only the camera's CCD (charge-coupled device) and/or its related circuitry has gone faulty. The CCD is the eye of the camera. The Panasonic has gone blind."

It turns out that a lot of these cameras have gone bad recently by the looks of the comments on the web. I guess I might be able to sell the charger or the as is unit...such a drag.
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 02, 2012 03:30PM
Sounds like either a sensor issue, or perhaps, you have manual settings set so that each photo is completely underexposed?

Is there a way to factory reset the camera?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 02, 2012 03:31PM
not sure if Costco return policy has changed but can you talk to Costco about the issue?

If documented, they may allow you to return/exchange......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 02, 2012 03:40PM
I can't find any factory reset but all the evidence on the net suggests it's the ccd. I'm looking at the receipt and it's clear on no returns after 90 days but I just might try and see if I could exchange it. We spend a ton at Costco yearly so they may see it as an investment in good customer relations, maybe???
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 02, 2012 04:02PM
well, it never hurts to ask [particularly, if you ask nicely, which may sound easy but many people put up the *itchy attitude right away which may get you nowhere fast].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 02, 2012 04:03PM
Sounds like my old Canon A80. I could get a new sensor for it's not worth the cost, time and effort.

Grateful11
Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 02, 2012 04:30PM
Worth a try if you haven't already tried it...

Restoring menu settings to default values may solve certain problems.
Try using ‘RESET’ in SETUP menu.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: December 02, 2012 04:30PM
This link states the "Factory Reset" is the "Reset" in the "SETUP" menu. (Too bad it's not just the lens cap still on!!!) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out LyleH
[www.steves-digicams.com]
Posted by: ahs
Date: December 02, 2012 04:45PM
I had two Canons with CCD problems that were fixed by Canon even though both cameras were long out of warranty. Might be worth contacting Panasonic about the problem.
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 02, 2012 06:59PM
Give all the above a try. Doesn't hurt to ask. They may have spare parts for the camera that they wouldn't otherwise use anyway. Worst you can get is a "no."

Looking on ebay, that camera's only worth $60-70 anyway. You could probably sell it on ebay and disclose the problem, and someone might buy it for the lens assembly or the LCD. Or, disassemble the camera yourself and sell the lens assembly and the lcd separately - might even get more money than if you sold it as one piece.
Date: December 02, 2012 07:01PM
Thanks for the reset instructions. Unfortunately they didn't work. I did have canon A80 That was fixed out of warranty. So I think I will try Calling them about it. Thanks all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018