advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT Worst Movie Remakes
Posted by: lazydays
Date: December 05, 2012 10:41PM
The Wicker Man. 1973 version was golden but 2006 with Nicholas Cage..not so much, in fact it didn't even make sense unless you had seen the earlier version.

[www.imdb.com]

[www.imdb.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT Worst Movie Remakes
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: December 05, 2012 10:44PM
Any movie or show with Ashton Kutcher...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 05, 2012 10:47PM
The 1998 remake of Psycho.
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 05, 2012 11:13PM
I hate remakes. They should have more imagination dammit.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 05, 2012 11:25PM
I'm going with either of the film versions of The Hulk... Pretty bad when the cheesy 70's TV version was better than either of them!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 05, 2012 11:40PM
The Donald Sutherland version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was an outstanding remake. "Fame" (2009) didn't work at all. Arthur (2011) wasn't good.
Posted by: steve...
Date: December 05, 2012 11:40PM
Flight of the Phoenix -- the Dennis Quaid version was NOT a better film.

Northern California Coast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 11:46PM by steve....
Posted by: davester
Date: December 05, 2012 11:58PM
There are soooooooo many. However, I think Planet of the Apes may be a low water mark.

There are other movies that are almost remakes that are even worse...how about Avatar, which is really a remake of both Pocahontas and Fern Gully.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 12:00AM by davester.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 05, 2012 11:59PM
Paul F.
I'm going with either of the film versions of The Hulk... Pretty bad when the cheesy 70's TV version was better than either of them!

That's a good point. Why make that movie so serious? But then why make the remake of Starsky & Hutch a joking satire, when I think a serious treatment would have been better. There was the remake of Dragnet as a movie and as a tv show. The movie with Dan Aykroyd was alright but it would have been cool for it to be more realistic. Then the tv show with Ed Harris did just that, but he didn't have Friday's perfectly honed sense of ethics. Which Aykroyd actually got right in the comedy. But I ramble.
Date: December 06, 2012 12:06AM
lazydays
The Wicker Man. 1973 version was golden but 2006 with Nicholas Cage..not so much, in fact it didn't even make sense unless you had seen the earlier version.

I didn't even see the remake, but I gotta say, some movies are so classic that producers shouldn't dare touch them. The Wicker Man was such a unique work of art that it should never have been touched (especially the erotic scenes with Britt Ekland that were edited out of the puritanical american release.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 06, 2012 12:25AM
Good remake...

[www.imdb.com]

[www.imdb.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: December 06, 2012 12:54AM
The Getaway

The Time Machine

King King (several times)
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 06, 2012 06:00AM
davester
There are soooooooo many. However, I think Planet of the Apes may be a low water mark.

There are other movies that are almost remakes that are even worse...how about Avatar, which is really a remake of both Pocahontas and Fern Gully.

And "Dances With Wolves." "Avatar" really is a terrible movie. Lousy script, awful acting. It's like watching somebody else play a video game. I was epically bored, turned it off before the final battle scene started.

Also in the badly-made not-called-a-remake-but-it-is, "The Fifth Element" is just a horrible live-action remake of "Heavy Metal."

Here's another vote for both "King Kong" remakes, and I'll add the dreadful 70's "Dracula" with Frank Langella.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 06:02AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 06, 2012 07:07AM
Believe it or not, there is talk of a "Casablanca" remake. To which one can only respond, "How dare they!"

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 06, 2012 07:24AM
I'll agree with some....others...not so much.

But here's my choice. Red Dragon.

Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: December 06, 2012 07:49AM
bazookaman

agree smiley

I may be in the minority here, but I think Manhunter was better than Silence of the Lambs.
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: December 06, 2012 07:50AM
The 2011 remake of Peckinpah's Straw Dogs (1971) was lame.
Date: December 06, 2012 08:06AM
MGS_forgot_password
bazookaman

agree smiley

I may be in the minority here, but I think Manhunter was better than Silence of the Lambs.

I enjoyed Silence of the Lambs. But i did like Manhunter better. However, they're 2 totally different movies. Like Alien and Aliens. Both excellent but for WAY different reasons. But Red Dragon? Come on. The ONLY reason tehy did that was to maintain continuity with Anthony Hopkins as the Hannibal Lecter character. I really liked Brian Cox as Lecter in Manhunter. There were scenes in Red Dragon that were word for word from Manhunter. But the worst was Ed Norton as a veteran profiler??? Maybe a veteran profiler's SON. Yeesh!

Posted by: Randalls
Date: December 06, 2012 08:24AM
Pink Panther. I like Steve Martin but to come out with that dreck X 2 is so not right. I dont care how much money he made.
Posted by: kanesa
Date: December 06, 2012 08:42AM
The only remake I thought was as good as the original is The Parent Trap. I loved Hayley Mills, Brian Keith, and Maureen O'Hara in the original. Lindsay Lohan, Dennis Quaid and Natasha Richardson did a decent job in the remake. They tweaked the remake a little to modernize it but not too much to ruin it.

The remake of Wickerman has got to be one of the worst movies ever made.
Date: December 06, 2012 08:51AM
Randalls
Pink Panther. I like Steve Martin but to come out with that dreck X 2 is so not right. I dont care how much money he made.

Forgot about that one. I couldn't even bring myself to watch that. There is and always will be only ONE Inspector Clouseau.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 06, 2012 09:08AM
bazookaman
Randalls

Forgot about that one. I couldn't even bring myself to watch that. There is and always will be only ONE Inspector Clouseau.

agree smiley
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 06, 2012 09:23AM
I was appalled at the idea of a second True Grit. Until I saw it. And then saw it again. In many ways, better than the first.

I was watching Anatomy of a Murder the other night and thinking how good it is, and whether a color remake would be a good idea. But so much of the story—she returned without her panties!—hinges on a sense of 1950s small-town morality.
Posted by: RoadToad
Date: December 06, 2012 09:26AM
Willy Wonka. The remake is NOT better than the original.

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger...
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 06, 2012 09:29AM
I haven't seen most of the films mentioned above, but did make a point of watching the remake of "True Grit."

I thought it was a travesty, a vile caricature of the original. Then I saw that it was a Coen Brothers production, and I knew why.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 09:30AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 06, 2012 10:12AM
Isn't a book being turned into a movie just as "unoriginal"? Why are we so much harsher on remakes? In both cases, someone is creating something based on a previous work—usually one that has been well-received. I'm not saying I don't agree—most remakes STINK, and most are cheap attempts to capitalize on the success of their predecessors—but why are we more tolerant when a movie butchers a well-done story?

If someone complains about being let down by a movie after having read the book, we tell them their expectations aren't reasonable because they are two different things. Remakes are not afforded this slack.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 06, 2012 10:13AM
Haven't seen it yet, but Red Dawn looks pretty bad...
The original was so much a product of its time, I don't see how it would be possible to "update" it. Not that the original was a great piece of cinema, but it was an OK movie.

(Oh, and disagree about the Fifth Element... found it very enjoyable and creative. Also loved Heavy Metal, and don't see any real comparisons to the two... ).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 06, 2012 10:19AM
Paul F.
(Oh, and disagree about the Fifth Element... found it very enjoyable and creative. Also loved Heavy Metal, and don't see any real comparisons to the two... ).

+1

It is what it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 06, 2012 10:27AM
"My, aren't we fierce. Guards, castrate him!"

"Uh Oh"
Date: December 06, 2012 10:30AM
mrlynn
I thought it was a travesty, a vile caricature of the original. Then I saw that it was a Coen Brothers production, and I knew why.

The Coen brothers are masters of the vile travesty genre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 10:30AM by davester.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: December 06, 2012 10:59AM
mrlynn
I haven't seen most of the films mentioned above, but did make a point of watching the remake of "True Grit."

/Mr Lynn

re: True Grit. I don't know why you think it's so vile. I seem to remember you just hate the Coen's movies. But you and Mr. Downtown (even though he liked it) are laboring under the misconception that the Coen's remade Henry Hathaway's 1969 movie. They've made it clear that they started fresh from the novel, and filmed that. I liked it very much, and I've always liked Hathaway's movie as well. Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but if the intent is not to update or modernize a previous movie, and the source material isn't an earlier movie but a book, and the idea came from the director(s) and not a producer, I'll accept that it's not a remake. I wonder, for example, if in 1939 MGM was thinking of the 1914 silent film of The Wizard of Oz directed by L. Frank Baum. Remake or not?

davester
The Coen brothers are masters of the vile travesty genre.

Bah.

They did needlessly remake The Ladykillers, but overall they've made more excellent movies than not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 11:01AM by Uncle Wig.
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 06, 2012 11:32AM
mrlynn
Believe it or not, there is talk of a "Casablanca" remake. To which one can only respond, "How dare they!"

I was going to make a joke about Bridge on the River Kwai but now I'm too horrified! (there isn't a :scream: smiley, as in the famous painting?)

However, I haven't seen the original True Grit but really liked the remake for its whipsmart dialog. And I'm generally NOT a Coen Brothers fan.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 06, 2012 12:21PM
Casablanca: it's been done already...

Starring David Soul
Date: December 06, 2012 12:44PM
datbeme
Isn't a book being turned into a movie just as "unoriginal"? Why are we so much harsher on remakes? In both cases, someone is creating something based on a previous work—usually one that has been well-received. I'm not saying I don't agree—most remakes STINK, and most are cheap attempts to capitalize on the success of their predecessors—but why are we more tolerant when a movie butchers a well-done story?

If someone complains about being let down by a movie after having read the book, we tell them their expectations aren't reasonable because they are two different things. Remakes are not afforded this slack.

Have you seen The Princess Bride? You can almost use the book and read along with the movie.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 06, 2012 01:29PM
I thought The Fugitive was a good remake of the TV show.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018