advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[Door hanging dilemnas] Hinge Quandry
Posted by: Black
Date: December 23, 2012 12:44AM
I have no choice but to hang an exterior entry door with an outward swing due to stairway location (this is an enclosed porch.)
Meaning, the hinges will be on the outside.
Is there such a thing as heavy duty hinges with pins that can't be quickly popped out with a screwdriver and a hammer?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [Door hanging dilemnas] Hinge Quandry
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 23, 2012 12:50AM
Yes.
Interlocking metal plates
[www.doorware.com]

Heavy Duty - No removable pin.
[www.doorware.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 12:59AM by Carm.
Date: December 23, 2012 01:12AM
Carm
Yes.
Interlocking metal plates
[www.doorware.com]

Heavy Duty - No removable pin.
[www.doorware.com]

Thank you Carm. I had bought hinges that seemed to have some sort of cap on the end, then couldn't find them when I went to install them tonight, so ended up using three hinges off a provisionary door that had been made to seal the entrance during rehabbing... one has the lock tab like these and I couldn't figure out what the benefit was.
Guess I should track down two more like it before proceeding.
I theeenk these were the ones I thought I bought:
[www.homedepot.com]
(not on the receipt so apparently never made it to the register.)

Been meaning to ask this for a while-- thanks again.

Date: December 23, 2012 01:21AM
I have used the interlocking plates design before but never the non removable pin type. Getting the non removable pin type seems to be the best solution.
Date: December 23, 2012 01:29AM
Carm
I have used the interlocking plates design before but never the non removable pin type. Getting the non removable pin type seems to be the best solution.

I agree but I don't think I'm going to be able to find that type at a local brick and mortar.

Date: December 23, 2012 01:37AM
I don't think so either (well...maybe a lock shop) and they are expensive. $29 a piece.
Date: December 23, 2012 01:41AM
Carm
I don't think so either (well...maybe a lock shop) and they are expensive. $29 a piece.

That's good to know--- less pangs of regret for not buying them.
I'll probably rig up some kind of a latch on the inside for vacations or periods of vacancy. If I could move the neighbor's garage about 6" I'd be able to see the hinges from my bedroom window.

Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 23, 2012 01:55AM
I have used a inside allen wrench locking pin that was only assessable when the door was open. It prevents the pin to be removed or driven out from the outside.

Hey, if they are going to get in they will get in!!!

Don't have a link, but they do exist.
Date: December 23, 2012 02:15AM
M>B>
I have used a inside allen wrench locking pin that was only assessable when the door was open. It prevents the pin to be removed or driven out from the outside.

Hey, if they are going to get in they will get in!!!

Don't have a link, but they do exist.

I thought some of them I saw at the store had an allen key recess on one end, but can't see how it would only be accessible with the door open.

Posted by: artie67
Date: December 23, 2012 02:22AM
Also put in a heavy grade dead bolt and make sure the tongue goes into solid wood.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 23, 2012 02:29AM
The ones I have used the door must be fully open to access the allen hex screw from the inside of the hinge. As it would be easily defeated from the outside of the door.
Date: December 23, 2012 08:59AM
artie67
Also put in a heavy grade dead bolt and make sure the tongue goes into solid wood.

It's getting a handle lock and deadbolt, but there's just the thin side of a 2x4 on the door jamb side. I bought one of those extended strike plates, and am doing 3 1/2" screws for everything (bought an extended drill bit).

Posted by: davester
Date: December 23, 2012 09:08AM
I've used the allen key type also. Those should be available at your local B&M hardware store or lock shop. It's a common application.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 23, 2012 11:45AM
Learned this from my carpenter uncle, long dead.

Drill three holes a couple feet apart up and down the length of the door jamb on the hinge edge, clear of the hinges and screw in lag bolts, leaving the heads sticking well out. I use washers sometimes if I need more height. Then close the door slowly until the heads contact the door, leaving marks at the points of contact. At those points, I drill a hole just big enough to accommodate the bolt heads. When the door closes, the bolt heads go into the big holes in the door, and the door can't be removed if it's closed, even with the hinge pins removed.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 23, 2012 11:57AM
or dowels
or splines

heck if you had a biscuit joiner you could use those

Course it's a lot easier to just punch your fist through the plaster / wallboard a couple inches away.
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 26, 2012 10:45AM
"Learned this from my carpenter uncle, long dead.

Drill three holes a couple feet apart up and down the length of the door jamb on the hinge edge, clear of the hinges and screw in lag bolts, leaving the heads sticking well out. I use washers sometimes if I need more height. Then close the door slowly until the heads contact the door, leaving marks at the points of contact. At those points, I drill a hole just big enough to accommodate the bolt heads. When the door closes, the bolt heads go into the big holes in the door, and the door can't be removed if it's closed, even with the hinge pins removed."

Very nice trick!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018