advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hey you jet-setters-- some travel/flight questions
Posted by: Black
Date: December 23, 2012 12:58AM
I'm thinking about a Poland trip again.... looking at last January week.
Trying to use the layovers for a little extra value...
Looking at Priceline... one flight has an overnight layover in DC (friend there I owe a visit to) and then a 15 hour layover in Copenhagen (drove through once but never really experienced it).... would put me in Warsaw after midnight. Questions:
1) When you have these long layovers, particularly the overnight ones, does your baggage go back into your possession or does it just go wherever it needs to go to make it onto the next flight? (Would rather not have to deal with it)
2) If anyone knows Warsaw-- is it cosmopolitan enough these days that I'd be able to get to a hotel or hostel and check in without too much trouble at 1 AM, or would that be a royal PITA?
3) What does one do about a phone for a week-10 days in Europe? My current phone is not GSM.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hey you jet-setters-- some travel/flight questions
Posted by: Billiken
Date: December 23, 2012 02:15AM
You'd have no trouble getting checked in at that time in Warsaw. Just let the hotel/hostel know of your planned arrival time. Finding a hotel near the central railway station might be a good idea, as that's the hub for all the night busses, including the one from the airport.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: December 23, 2012 03:27AM
1) It depends on your airline but ask beforehand if you can check it through.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 23, 2012 08:41AM
Luggage normally gets checked through. People used to book certain flights with intermediate stops because a long flight could be cheaper than a flight to one of those stops directly. They'd get off at the city they really wanted and saved some money. With the new security rules, If you do that, the airline has all sorts of procedures they have to follow now to insure that a terrorist hasn't gotten off a plane with his luggage still on board. Even if there were no checked luggage, his presence aboard was a hazard.

I'd have a carry on with a clean change of socks & skivvies. Maybe a toothbrush but, don't take toothpaste, mouthwash etc. Your fried should have those. Make sure you're back in plenty of time to clear security for the next leg. If you miss a leg, I'd expect to be contacted by local authorities.
Date: December 23, 2012 08:49AM
testcase
Luggage normally gets checked through. People used to book certain flights with intermediate stops because a long flight could be cheaper than a flight to one of those stops directly. They'd get off at the city they really wanted and saved some money. With the new security rules, If you do that, the airline has all sorts of procedures they have to follow now to insure that a terrorist hasn't gotten off a plane with his luggage still on board. Even if there were no checked luggage, his presence aboard was a hazard.

I'd have a carry on with a clean change of socks & skivvies. Maybe a toothbrush but, don't take toothpaste, mouthwash etc. Your fried should have those. Make sure you're back in plenty of time to clear security for the next leg. If you miss a leg, I'd expect to be contacted by local authorities.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I can't figure out what you're saying though... luggage still continues directly on to the next plane, as a rule, even with a long layover?

Date: December 23, 2012 08:49AM
Billiken
You'd have no trouble getting checked in at that time in Warsaw. Just let the hotel/hostel know of your planned arrival time. Finding a hotel near the central railway station might be a good idea, as that's the hub for all the night busses, including the one from the airport.

Thanks, good info.

Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: December 23, 2012 09:37AM
Black
I'm thinking about a Poland trip again.... looking at last January week.
Trying to use the layovers for a little extra value...
Looking at Priceline... one flight has an overnight layover in DC (friend there I owe a visit to) and then a 15 hour layover in Copenhagen (drove through once but never really experienced it).... would put me in Warsaw after midnight. Questions:
1) When you have these long layovers, particularly the overnight ones, does your baggage go back into your possession or does it just go wherever it needs to go to make it onto the next flight? (Would rather not have to deal with it)
2) If anyone knows Warsaw-- is it cosmopolitan enough these days that I'd be able to get to a hotel or hostel and check in without too much trouble at 1 AM, or would that be a royal PITA?
3) What does one do about a phone for a week-10 days in Europe? My current phone is not GSM.

I was only in Warsaw briefly once, on the way to Moscow, but you should have no problem checking into a hotel there (have not stayed in a hostel) as long as you have a reservation.

As far as your stops in DCA and CPH, the answer is: that depends. It depends on how you ticket your flight, how you check your bags and how long you're in each city along the way. I'm presuming that the DCA/IAD stop is shorter than 24 hours. If that is the case, you should be able to ask the airline to check it all the way through (with the presumption that you will not be leaving the airport during that layover) ORD-WAW and the airline will hold your baggage until you reach WAW.

Just ask the gate agent when you check in to check your bags all the way through to WAW.

I should also note that it is against the rules to leave your checked baggage at the airport, but they don't really know if you've left the building. Just make sure you keep in mind that you'll have to go through security (and maybe passport control in CPH) and plan your time accordingly to make your next flight.

Your routing sounds like you're flying United/SAS and/or maybe Lot. UA's terminal at IAD is old and kinda sucks but the SAS terminal in CPH is very nice with good shopping and eating. WAW is, well, you know: Very Cold War.

With regards to the phone, I use eKit GSM phones while in Europe (I also keep an unlocked iPhone and buy SIM cards in other parts of the world) and have had one for the past three years. It's relatively inexpensive and the rates are pretty good (though I don't worry too much about it). You can order them here: [www.ekit.com]

Enjoy the trip! It's hella cold in Poland this time of year.
Posted by: yeoman
Date: December 23, 2012 10:44AM
Take a warm coat!
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 23, 2012 12:20PM
A carryon with a full clothing change is the best solution. I would bring all critical items like meds and glasses,
If you wear contacts, etc with you.

Assume your bag gets lost for two days when you pack.

Have fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 12:21PM by sekker.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 23, 2012 03:42PM
Warsaw does not come to mind when thinking about taking a trip late in January. Be prepared for flight delays due to blizzards.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 23, 2012 05:50PM
Looks like on average temps in Warsaw are 3-5 deg warmer than Chicago in Jan/Feb. I don't mind the cold, and also don't mind saving ~40% of the price of a flight in warmer months.

Posted by: billb
Date: December 23, 2012 06:49PM
Watch the fine print on frequent flier miles.
I've had miles not count because I booked through travelocity rather than directly and some Delta flights that are codeshared with another airline might not count, too.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 23, 2012 08:07PM
....chances are......it will be a SAUSAGE.....fest.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 24, 2012 03:35AM
billb
Watch the fine print on frequent flier miles.
I've had miles not count because I booked through travelocity rather than directly and some Delta flights that are codeshared with another airline might not count, too.

Thanks, I don't do Frequent Flyer miles (last flight was fall of '08...)

Posted by: Billiken
Date: December 24, 2012 10:01AM
Your routing sounds like you're flying United/SAS and/or maybe Lot. UA's terminal at IAD is old and kinda sucks but the SAS terminal in CPH is very nice with good shopping and eating. WAW is, well, you know: Very Cold War.

Warszawa Chopin airport is perfectly modern:

Warsaw airport new terminal photos
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 25, 2012 12:27PM
"Thanks for the detailed reply. I can't figure out what you're saying though... luggage still continues directly on to the next plane, as a rule, even with a long layover?"

When you check in for the first leg, will the initial carrier check your luggage to the final destination? If its the same carrier, they'll hold / store your checked luggage and see that its loaded on your next flight. If you'll be changing carriers, Company A will get the luggage to Company B with instructions on what flight you're on and they will store your bags in a secure area until your flight.

If the initial carrier ONLY checks your luggage to the first stop, then YOU will be responsible to claim your luggage and schlep it until you can check it in with the next carrier. I arrived six hours early for a flight once. I had thought I would find an eatery and have a relaxed meal, getting to my gate very early. I was NOT allowed to enter the secured part of the airport so, I had to stand around two hours in an area that had few amenities. I found a seat and watched a movie on my MBP (always a good idea to have a movie or three and, arrive with a fully charged battery.

Generally, I would say you're better off with a single check in. You shouldn't have to worry about your checked luggage until you arrive at your final destination. With today's highly increased security concerns, as long as you make all of your flights, you'd only have to deal with clearing security on initial entry and, any re-entry if you leave the secured area. The less you have with you, the easier such re-entries should be.

A few years back, on a domestic flight, a fellow was legally transporting a handgun in his checked luggage. What should have been a routine transfer at Newark Liberty airport in NJ, turned into a major clusterfuck. There was a mechanical problem with his outbound flight and, said flight was cancelled. The airline insisted he take his luggage and come back the next morning for the rescheduled flight. He tried to tell the airline he could not take possession because of the firearm. He finally accepted the luggage and, when he returned the next morning, was promptly arrested for possessing a weapon that was illegal in NJ. He was ultimately cleared in court (Federal law is clear. Citizens MAY transport firearms as long as certain procedures are followed). I imagine civil lawsuits are still wending their way through the courts. He should NOT have accepted his baggage. I don't know if police were called to the counter but, they should have been. Airlines have secure areas in which to hold luggage. Its simply part of their business (short term). If you don't have your luggage, then the airline is responsible for it until it delivers it at the destination you paid them to go to. If there's anything of significant value in your luggage, then additional insurance would be a prudent purchase.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: December 26, 2012 10:26AM
Billiken
Warszawa Chopin airport is perfectly modern:

Warsaw airport new terminal photos

I see that you're right! Last trip through WAW was Jan 2008 on the way to Moscow. Had a two hour layover in the lounge and that section of the airport must have been the old terminal 'cause it was very "cold war" - kinda like the old Kimpo transit area in Seoul.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018