AAPL stock: $111.25 ( +1.84 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[Bad Trees] 11 Trees you should never plant in your yard
Posted by: Black
Date: December 25, 2012 03:26PM
[www.houselogic.com]

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2012 03:26PM by Black.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [Bad Trees] 11 Trees you should never plant in your yard
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 25, 2012 03:55PM
In Florida there are a few more to leave off your planting list:

Sycamore -- Fast growing but brittle and prone to breaking under wind loads
Austrailian Pine -- Invasive species with peeling bark and a gazillion needles
Brazilian Pepper -- invasive species that spreads like a nightmare. Florida is spending millions to get rid of it.
Melaleuca -- same problem as the Brazilian Pepper
Chinese Tallow -- ditto

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Date: December 25, 2012 04:05PM
I'll defend my Sycamore to the death, but it does leave lots of "presents."

Posted by: Randalls
Date: December 25, 2012 04:06PM
Strange trees you should like...my daughters play group. Especially if in Chicago. Sorry bout the hijack.
[www.strangetree.org]
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 25, 2012 04:13PM
Avoid cottonwood as well.

"There are a couple of problems with the cottonwood that makes it so undesirable for planting in the yard. The first is the cotton seed pods that can coat your lawns and flower beds with a 2 inch deep layer of fluff. People with severe allergies find it difficult to breath when the cotton is airborne, and gardeners will curse at the zillions of little seedlings that sprout up in the garden.
Aside from the cotton, a more significant problem is the shallow root system. These trees grow quite rapidly and surface roots quickly spread to the diameter of the drip line. These roots are what we call "ankle twisters" and can render the lawn completely unusable. To make matters worse, shooters are forever developing from these roots and need to be maintained with a pair of loppers. Cottonwoods can buckle sidewalks, driveways, and patios and are best avoided."

[voices.yahoo.com]

And as a good friend likes to say, "Cottonwood is rotten wood."
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 25, 2012 04:36PM
Never plant a Mimosa tree, they grow like crazy and even when cut down they keep coming back if you don't keep cutting it back frequently.

Grateful11
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 25, 2012 04:44PM
re/ [www.houselogic.com]

Screw you guys. Love our willow. One also needs to know where the frak to plant it in a yard.

Posted by: ADent
Date: December 25, 2012 05:10PM
I have fixed the sewer once and the sprinklers twice with my huge maple tree. It is cracking the driveway too.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: December 25, 2012 05:25PM
Gumball. Nasty, thorny gumballs. Hate. Beautiful colored leaves in autumn. It was here when we moved in. We're thinking of having it cut down, the gumballs are frickin everywhere.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 25, 2012 06:22PM
Surprised a male holly tree didn't make that list.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 25, 2012 06:56PM
Avoid Ginko trees, unless you like the smell of vomit.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 25, 2012 07:23PM
Grateful11
Never plant a Mimosa tree, they grow like crazy and even when cut down they keep coming back if you don't keep cutting it back frequently.

heehee. I deliberately planted three mimosas in my back yard. love 'em. wish they'd grow faster.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 25, 2012 07:31PM
I love mimosas too! (who knew that they grew on trees)
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 25, 2012 07:31PM
I just knew one of my trees would be on that list....

[www.houselogic.com]

Mulberry: Big surface roots, lots of pollen, messy fruit, and shade so dense that grass refuses to grow underneath.

Read more: [www.houselogic.com]

I have 2 large Mulberry trees in my yard, The grass does get a little sun since the electric company trimmed them back to keep them from choking out the power lines, but I do have one area that has "thin to none grass" around it (I thought it was die to a evergreen bush). I am not that sensitive to pollen so I don't notice that.

I have been known to nibble on the fruit in the summer, but seems like the area birds love it more seeing how they usually hit my vehicle and my porch on occasion with purple berry stained crap. I also have two wild rabbits that like to frequent my yard too because of the berries (this is deep in the hood where pit bulls have been known to run loose), I'm surprised that they are still alive year after year.
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 25, 2012 09:42PM
Got several of those in my yard!
Green Ash is right up next to the house. I am surprised that it survived the house construction but it is hanging in there ... for now. Ash bore is in the county so it's just a matter of time and then I'll have to figure out how to get the trucks in close enough to take it down. Gonna be big bucks!

Willows are in the creek bed doing fine. They started life with us as table decorations at daughter's wedding. I put them in water and after roots formed set them out. They do suffer wind damage and have an awful lot of dead twigs throughout the year.

Black walnut was started from a sprout. We have several left from the original forest. A couple of American holly are slightly stunted from the root system but out there no other plants are showing signs of problems. Biggest threat is walnuts dropping onto the heads of passersby. Squirrels take care of cleanup.

Sweet gum does produce a huge collection of spikey balls which are hard to rake and make walking uncomfortable. It takes most of the winter for my tree to drop all the balls so the "final" cleanup is not until spring.

I would add to the list American Persimmon, at least as a specimine tree. Those sweet fruits make quite a mess during the six week harvest time.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 25, 2012 10:49PM
russian olive

invasive species

sales banned in some states
Posted by: malfunction
Date: December 26, 2012 12:18AM
3d

The Ginko is a great tree, but you have to plant the male clones. The female trees do smell...

A good tree list for northern California: [redwoodbarn.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: December 26, 2012 08:23AM
SteveO
Gumball. Nasty, thorny gumballs. Hate. Beautiful colored leaves in autumn. It was here when we moved in. We're thinking of having it cut down, the gumballs are frickin everywhere.

What's a gumball? Another name?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 26, 2012 09:02AM
We have about 12 Quaking Aspen in our yard as they are somewhat native here, grow quickly to provide privacy and are beautiful....but we also had 1200 growing up through the lawn last summer.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: December 26, 2012 12:31PM
DP
SteveO

Sweetgum. See Don C's comment above. I think they're cool looking but I've neve seen one in Chicago (they're all over St. Louis.)

Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 26, 2012 01:16PM
malfunction
3d

The Ginko is a great tree, but you have to plant the male clones. The female trees do smell...

I was going to say the same thing about the Ginko. As a matter or trivia, the Ginko tree has been pretty much unchanged for 270 million years.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 26, 2012 01:20PM
Don C
Green Ash is right up next to the house. I am surprised that it survived the house construction but it is hanging in there ... for now. Ash bore is in the county so it's just a matter of time and then I'll have to figure out how to get the trucks in close enough to take it down. Gonna be big bucks!

Or you could treat the tree to keep the Emerald Ash Borer away. I have heard the pesticide is not real cheap (don't know for sure though) but it would probably be cheaper than the removal bill.

Posted by: gabester
Date: December 26, 2012 01:59PM
It always bothers me when there are these click-through lists, so for the sake of brevity for other reader's here's the details:

1. Silver maple (Acer saccharinum) Big, fast-growing, and dandy shade trees, silver maple is widespread in the east and Midwest. The tree grows quickly but makes for weak, brittle wood that may break during severe storms. Shallow roots invade sewage pipes and drain fields, and crack driveways and walkways.

2. Ash (Fraxinus) Sturdy and tough, populate North America as some most beloved trees. Threatened by the emerald ash borer, a tiny beetle that’s on track to wipe out the species.

3. Quaking Aspen (Populus tremuloides) Found in northern climes and higher elevations. Attractive white bark, but roots are insidious, sending up dozens of suckers to turn into new trees.

4. Hybrid Poplars (Populus) Cross-pollinated two or more species together. Result in fast-growing tree that looks good in your yard... but susceptible to diseases, and most won’t last more than 15 years.

5. Willow (Salix) Long, slender branches hang down. Has an aggressive, water-hungry root system that terrorizes drain fields, sewer lines, and irrigation pipes. Weak wood prone to cracking, short-lived, about 30 years.

6. Eucalyptus - Imported and popularized for growth — some types shoot 10 feet in a year — it has a bad rap for sudden, unexpected loss of big, heavy, resin-filled branches. Australian campers are warned not to pitch tents under eucalyptus trees. Its showy bark peels off annually and adds to seasonal chores.

7. Bradford pear (Pyrus calleryana) Imported to the U.S. from China in the early 1900s as replacement for orchard trees that were dying. Compact shape and spring blossoms made it a suburban favorite — but prone to splitting and cracking when mature. Blossoms can be stinky.

8. Mountain cedar (Juniperus ashei) Native to the south central U.S., releases massive amounts of pollen during cooler months.

9. Mulberry (Morus) Big surface roots, lots of pollen, messy fruit, and dense shade. The mulberry is the silkworm’s only source of food. Silkworm farmers should plant away!

10. Black walnut (Juglans nigra) North American native produces prized cabinet- and furniture-making wood. It also produces pollen and plenty of fruit that’ll drive you, well, nuts when you have to clean it all up in the fall. Secretes growth-inhibiting toxins that kill nearby plants, flower beds and vegetable gardens.

11. Leyland cypress (Cupressocyparis leylandii) Fast-growing evergreens quickly create a living privacy screen. Constant upkeep and trimming needed to keep healthy, and once grown can uproot during storms. Tree centers form a mass of dried twigs and branches are such a fire hazard that many communities officially caution residents against them.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 26, 2012 02:31PM
AllGold
Don C

Or you could treat the tree to keep the Emerald Ash Borer away. I have heard the pesticide is not real cheap (don't know for sure though) but it would probably be cheaper than the removal bill.

Not worth it. The ash is doomed. Unless we're saving prime specimen trees at Monticello or an arboretum, propping up with pesticides long term is an expensive and environmentally dubious strategy. Remove it, get started on the next tree. Harsh, but that's the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2012 02:31PM by Acer.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 26, 2012 03:26PM
DP
SteveO

Grateful11
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 26, 2012 04:10PM
AllGold
malfunction
3d

I was going to say the same thing about the Ginko. As a matter or trivia, the Ginko tree has been pretty much unchanged for 270 million years.

With hundreds(?) of trees to choose from why would someone specifically choose a male Ginko to plant in their yard?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014