advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Garmin nuvi 760/750 power options....
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 25, 2013 07:50PM
I have an old Garmin nuvi that I thought was a 760, but comes up as a 750 on its registration with Garmin. This was my moms and didn't have the best life(got her a new one and inherited this one). The battery was awful so I just replaced it successfully... side note, it didn't show that it was recalled(known issue with this model) but the battery life was so poor that the device wasn't useable at all even plugged into the car, for years(I read that the DC power isn't even enough to run the device-it gives it a bit of a charge while it runs and that's it).

After putting the device back together I tried to put the flat end of the cable that comes from the cigarette lighter back into the back of the device. It wouldn't seat securely so I looked it over-the pins inside are bent/broken. I'm sure this didn't help the device to operate, but I did charge it via USB before and it'd work for a short time only in the car.

I do have a cigarette lighter USB adapter and a mini USB cable, so I can connect the device to AC or DC power while driving-BUT the device won't function when anything is plugged into the mini USB(it goes into a mode as if it's connected to a computer). Is there a way to override this? If I can't leave that plugged in, I'll be without its use when charging it via USB. I know that the new battery is going to be a heck of a lot better than the original and can charge it before heading out.

It looks like the cable to replace this is at least $20 and the female part in the device looks damaged anyway(although that part comes off and seems replaceable-kind of an L shaped bracket that snaps onto the back of the device and accepts the DC charger). I don't want to spend much on this old unit with outdated maps, but I would like to maximize its functionality as we don't have another one or a smartphone. We are used to doing without it, but since I got a new battery and it is now semi-useful, I'd like to do whatever inexpensive stuff I can to make it more reliable.

This forum is great-it's such a well rounded community where so many questions can be answered.

Thanks,
Skye
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Garmin nuvi 760/750 power options....
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 26, 2013 09:18AM
Here is the pinout for the garmin. You can probably use this info to make your own charging only cable.
[pinouts.ru]

Here is a workaround.
Simply startup the garmin without being connected, then plug it in to charge after bootup.
[www.gpspassion.com]

Looking at the pinout of a standard USB cable, the center two pins are for data. If those two pins are getting power, it will probably make the garmin go into the connected to computer mode. Try blocking them with tape. On a similar note: Apple's newer devices require the center two pins on a USB charger to be shorted out if you want to charge them with an OLD usb chargers.
Date: January 26, 2013 09:48AM
Thanks. I'd tried plugging the USB in after it booted and it always went directly into data mode(no navigation). I just tried the idea suggested where you go into test mode and then plug in-seems to be stuck in startup while connected to USB. It actually won't turn off or proceed, so while I was excited about that workaround, it seems to make the unit mad. Now I have a side question: what to do about this now, since it's not showing as a drive on the computer but won't start up or turn off. I just have the Garmin splash screen and am leaving it plugged in so the battery doesn't drain.

The pinout change idea is intriguing... would I modify the mini USB end or the USB end? I can dedicate a cable to this purpose(although I do tend to use that car cable for several devices-I bet none would mind if data was disabled, right?), but am unclear on exactly what material I'd use and what to do with it to block those. Thanks for the tutorial!

Skye
Date: January 26, 2013 09:51AM
Duh, holding the power switch for 8 seconds DID work, it turned off. I'll try that test mode idea one more time.

The test mode, then plug in and 'reboot' consistently freezes the unit, darn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 10:01AM by RecipeForDisaster.
Date: January 26, 2013 10:40AM
Basic tape should work.

Work on the cable not the garmin. cables are cheap. The plug is so small you could possibly destroy the thing.
Date: January 26, 2013 10:48AM
So regular scotch tape, or electrical tape? Do I tape up just the regular USB end(leaving the mini end alone)? Think this treatment would bother any other devices that I use mini USB to power in the vehicle?
Date: January 26, 2013 11:05AM
Regular scotch tape on regular male usb side. leave mini side alone. Should do nothing to other devices.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 326
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018