advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon free shipping getting worse?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 27, 2013 02:09PM
I placed an order for instock items on January 18th. As of today, they still haven't shipped.

When I order from B&H or Newegg and pick free shipping, my order ships within 48 hrs. I guess that I'll be looking at these vendors before ordering from Amazon.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon free shipping getting worse?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 27, 2013 02:35PM
It varies quite a bit. My last free shipping items from Amazon came pretty quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 02:35PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 27, 2013 02:44PM
There must be a glitch. Contact customer service. Of course, maybe Amazon wants you to buy Prime.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Black
Date: January 27, 2013 03:18PM
Speedy
There must be a glitch. Contact customer service. Of course, maybe Amazon wants you to buy Prime.

Naw.... this happens from time to time with some items (often seasonal items with uneven demand.) The OP should see that the anticipated ship date changes/gets moved back. I've had this before, followed by lightning-fast shipping.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: January 27, 2013 03:36PM
People who buy from Amazon frequently will tell you that this is uncommon.

I buy from them infrequently, and in my experience, it's not a surprise if they drag their feet in shipping the order, something few others do nowadays.

The last time this occurred, I contacted customer service, and they magically expedited the order to 1- or 2-day shipping and got it out the door immediately.

Bottom line, they do use the varying delay tactic to nudge people toward Prime, and to me, it's the one respect of their service that doesn't compare favorably to their competitors.

With modern logistics, there is often little reason to sit on a order unless there is desire to.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 27, 2013 03:52PM
I'll resist the opportunity to repost the your-package-was-eaten-by-an-alligator story yet again, but other than that memorable incident, Amazon shipping has been getting faster rather than slower for me. Very often we get stuff we've ordered with Prime in one day as opposed to the expected two.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: January 27, 2013 04:22PM
I haven't noticed recent additional slowdowns, but I feel like 5ish years ago my Amazon orders would routinely beat the quoted time frame by a good margin, whereas more recently they actually do take 10-14 days. Fast free shipping would diminish both the upsell on faster shipping times and Prime sales I guess.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 27, 2013 05:20PM
I think it was a glitch and that they'll do what they can to fix it if you call them.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: January 27, 2013 06:01PM
Something's wrong; never that long. I'd try customer service and they'll work on it.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 27, 2013 06:35PM
I have no problems with Amz shipping.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 28, 2013 12:18AM
Maybe I shouldn't feel this way, but as a Prime customer I am getting kind of tired of people who haven't paid what I've paid complaining that their stuff isn't going out the door fast enough. WTF did I pay for if not for "prime" service? Your stuff gets shipped after all my stuff has been taken care of. As it should be. There's probably a lot more of us than there was a few years ago, so the line has gotten longer.

Posted by: Carm
Date: January 28, 2013 12:57AM
I hear you $tevie.

macphanatic, my solution is to buy from a vendor that is not fulfilled by Amazon for the free shipping. Usually comes to the same price with free shipping and I get it faster.

As mentioned here by Amazon sellers. It needs to be shipped to Amazon by the seller before it gets sent out, if it isnt at the warehouse, it doesnt get shipped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 01:02AM by Carm.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 28, 2013 02:32AM
Your stuff gets shipped after all my stuff has been taken care of. As it should be.

Exactly.

And when an item I order isn't eligible for Prime, I get a delivery window, and it's almost always beats that window or arrives on the first day.

Also, I sometimes get a shipping update telling me it's shipping earlier than first announced.

I have *no* complaints. OK, I wish I didn't have to pay sales tax.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 28, 2013 08:58AM
Mac,

I'm surprised nobody asked... Did you order from Amazon itself or is it a purchase from a different vendor either fulfilled by Amazon or shipping from the vendor itself? This can make a huge difference. Regardless, it's obvious something is amiss and likely has nothing at all to do with Amazon's shipping policies.

I also happen to like what $tevie had to say on the matter of Amazon's shipping policies. I hadn't thought about it but, now that it has come up, I think it's fair for orders from people who pay the bucks for shipping to have a higher priority than other types of orders. Definitely reasonable.

'course, I just placed an order for an item whose estimated delivery is for tomorrow via Amazon Prime free two day delivery. The delivery date has been updated and I'll have it today. I ain't complaining. smiling smiley

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018