advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone here believe in dream significance or dream interpretation?
Posted by: Black
Date: February 11, 2013 12:16PM
I almost never remember dreams but I had a few over the weekend which got under my skin.... the more vivid one involved being passed out on a train and heading way far off in directions other than home...

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 12:16PM by Black.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone here believe in dream significance or dream interpretation?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 11, 2013 12:18PM
Meaning is usually obvious. You want to escape something.
Date: February 11, 2013 12:28PM
cbelt3
Meaning is usually obvious. You want to escape something.

Poked around he internet and the common themes for the train include:
-Signifies the direction your life is taking
-signifies not being in control

Didn't come across that one!

In this case there was a theme of passing my destination and knowing I had to go back.
I ended up in a cab eventually and once I was conscious enough to converse the cab driver told me he picked me up on the far south side (coordinates so specific he even corrected himself from 96th to 95th street.) Most of the dream involved heading out to the west suburbs though.

Posted by: steve...
Date: February 11, 2013 12:29PM
There was a woman who interpreted caller's dreams on a radio show in Seattle quite a few years ago. I thought it was fascinating — so yes, I think there's something to it.

I heard another explanation of dreams recently. A person was saying that dreams are a way for us to experience various scenarios so that we can better deal with actual situations in real life.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 11, 2013 12:32PM
I think journaling your dreams and making an effort to remember them is interesting, and can be fun and enlightening. I'd have to put a lot of "dream interpretation" up there with astrology, but it's also true that your mind is working things out while you sleep, and paying attention to that can be useful, if you want it to be.

For what's it's worth, and maybe that's not much, here is some of what "dream moods dictionary" says about trains in dreams.

To see a train in your dream represents conformity. You are just going along with what everyone else is doing. Alternatively, a train means that you are very methodical. You need to lay things out specifically and do things in an orderly and sequential manner.

Dreaming of trains may also be a metaphor that you are "in training" for some event, job or goal. According to Freud, a train is analogous to the male penis.

To dream that you are on a train symbolizes your life's journey. It suggests that you are on the right track in life and headed in the right direction. Alternatively, the dream means that you have a tendency to worry needlessly over a situation that will work out in the end.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 11, 2013 12:33PM
that dream means you're tired of public transportation dependence and should no longer squelch the need a big honkin' 4wd truck
Date: February 11, 2013 12:38PM
Saw this one when I first searched, thanks.
Lemon Drop
To dream that you are on a train symbolizes your life's journey. It suggests that you are on the right track in life and headed in the right direction. Alternatively, the dream means that you have a tendency to worry needlessly over a situation that will work out in the end.[/i]

I feel like I've heard it said a lot that the way you feel in a dream is more important than the actual details.... it was definitely not a "heading in the right direction" sort of feeling. If anything, it was all about heading in the wrong direction.
There was some significance about a large red brick building heading out west that I passed that's bugging me too.

Date: February 11, 2013 12:38PM
billb
that dream means you're tired of public transportation dependence and should no longer squelch the need a big honkin' 4wd truck

I'd do a truck or van share if I could find at least 3 other people. Know anyone?

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 11, 2013 12:49PM
According to Freud, rand() % ; is analogous to the male penis.

Fixed that for you.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 11, 2013 12:57PM
steve...

I heard another explanation of dreams recently. A person was saying that dreams are a way for us to experience various scenarios so that we can better deal with actual situations in real life.

Yes, my dreams fully prepared me for the day I showed up at work with no pants.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 11, 2013 01:15PM
Based on some of the dreams I have, I'm going to go with "there's no real significance to your dreams". Most of my dreams (that I remember) are really strange, and most often have continually shifting "scenes". By this, I mean the dream will start out in one place and shift to another, then another. My wife and I tell each other about our dreams a lot. And it's usually something like "I was in the house where I grew up, but it wasn't quite the same... part of it looked like our current house. But then I was at my old high school, but your mother was the teacher. But it wasn't really my high school because it looked like a McDonalds. And then I flew through the McDonalds/school, and ended up in a hotel in some city I've never been in, but it looked a lot like Chicago. It was 2 o'clock in the morning, but the sun was still shining..."
Posted by: DP
Date: February 11, 2013 01:27PM
Anyone here dream only in color or only in black and white? I have a friend who says he never dreams in color.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: February 11, 2013 01:45PM
My dreams usually involve fishing or water someway then I get up and piss. The only other ones involve me destroying all the other people in the world thru intellectual, physical, and superhuman powers.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: February 11, 2013 02:12PM
The BEST dreams I ever have are when I have the flu and am drinking Nyquil like it's going out of style. Otherwise I usually don't remember my dreams. The other thing I've found and have discussed with others (a study should be done if it hasn't already) is that I almost always have bad dreams when I'm sleeping on my back. I mean, they only occur when I sleep that way, not that every time I sleep that way I have them.

Dreams are probably one of the most fascinating things in life.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 11, 2013 02:20PM
In my dreams, Ron Jeremy bows down and wants to be me.
Date: February 11, 2013 02:23PM
Acer
steve...

Yes, my dreams fully prepared me for the day I showed up at work with no pants.

ftw smiley

Date: February 11, 2013 02:24PM
MikeF
In my dreams, Ron Jeremy bows down and wants to be me.
FT(o)W!!

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 11, 2013 02:30PM
Did the train go through a tunnel?
Date: February 11, 2013 02:42PM
Dennis S
Did the train go through a tunnel?

Not while I was conscious... cab driver wouldn't have known.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 11, 2013 06:48PM
I've had a few dreams in my life that I think had tremendous significance. However, the other 99% don't seem to have had any particular meaning. I have 2 recurring anxious dreams: in the first, I am driving my cat toward some obstruction, and I can't get my foot to move to the brake. In my second dream, I am minutes away from teaching a class and I realize I have absolutely nothing planned.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: February 11, 2013 08:28PM
Ammo
I have 2 recurring anxious dreams: in the first, I am driving my cat toward some obstruction.

Well..... there's some interesting symbolism...

Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 11, 2013 09:43PM
Black
Ammo
I have 2 recurring anxious dreams: in the first, I am driving my cat toward some obstruction.

Well..... there's some interesting symbolism...

Gee, that must have been my cat herding nightmare. smile smiley

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 12, 2013 01:39AM
I believe that dreams can be used to interpret what's going on in your life, help you solve problems, recognize issues, etc. Not all the time, but certainly those that resonate with you have some meaning imo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020