advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which Cell Service will Screw me the least... Sprint Sucks...
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 05, 2006 09:37AM
Basically, I'm going to sprint tomorrow to give them back their so called "vision phones" (without a camera)... First thing... I wasn't informed to a $32.00 upgrade fee per phone... Then, I wasn't informed to their so called "you have to pay $10.00's a month if you have a vision phone"... So, I'm basically going to go back to SprintPCS tomorrow... Give them back their phones... and just cancel my service...

I can just reactivate my wife's old phone and then buy a @#$%& phone off of e-bay and finish up our contract through may... So, at least we would have service instead of a cancelation fee...

Sorry to rant and rave... I'm just a little annoyed...

So, which Cell company will give me the following... and screw me the least...

1) 500-1000 shared minutes
2) Free Phones
3) Free Nights and Weekends
4) Free In Network calling

Thanks....

Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which Cell Service will Screw me the least... Sprint Sucks...
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 05, 2006 09:48AM
I've never been pleased with Sprint's contracts - but service coverage in the US, I've found them to be without competition, including the Cingular/T-Mobile sharing of towers/free roaming.

I found the data rates on the "vision" thing to be useless, although it was about 1.5 years ago.

I have the Samsung i500 (Palm 4.1 phone) - and when the day comes that I need to be sending email via a scratch pad - that will be the day that I'm buried alive somewhere---and coverage probably will be spotty anyway.

I've been up and down the east coast, and there is only one tiny area of about 10 minutes, around the GA/FL line, where there is no SPRINT coverage, for about 5 minutes.

You can't even drive through Atlanta with Cingular/T-Mobile without dropping signals all over the place, and Cingular is based HERE! (check out their map. The density in ATL is terrible.)

Verizon is still GTE - and GTE always did and always will suck.

You might want to send a PM to Wurm. He did a major ANALysis of this, with two brats, himself and a wife, as to which way to go (plans, multiple carriers, pre-pay, etc.), and he might be able to share some thoughts which are intuitively counter to what you might be thinking right now.

As for me.... I moved to an area in June with spotty coverage (and not on Sprint's map, but I still got service 85% of the time, if not more), so I dropped it. Honestly - while there is some minor inconvenience, I really like NOT being available every second of the day.

Why it is that we think we can't live without what was something of a luxury 10 years ago, and POSITIVELY a luxury in 1992, and a toy of the "wealthy" in 1985 - I'll never figure out.

I'll eventually turn one on again, but beyond pre-pay for untypical use, I've not found anything I prefer to SERVICE always being there, vs. plans that offer so many things, but lousy coverage.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 05, 2006 09:51AM
T-Mobile

Free Phones?!?! Buy a good phone.

BGnR
Posted by: endymion
Date: January 05, 2006 10:10AM
I "upgraded" my Sprint plan in August and have had no end of billing headaches since. In my experience, they double-bill for any changes made after the initial plan. So if you get a plan for 2 phones but decide to change on of the numbers, that results in a $150 cancellation (which OUGHT to be waived if the change is within 90 days of establishing the new plan) but also in a pro-rated charge based on the full price of your plan for the newly established phone number for the remainder of the billing period in which the change was made.

This reminds me I really need to submit the information I've gleaned to my state commerce commision and utility oversight boards - they've put out a call for information like this.

I'm generally satisfied with the service, but the lack of communication about what will really be billed to your plan, and the extreme difficulty to get them to stick to their word says that when my contract is up I'll probably be switching to another carrier...
g=
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: January 05, 2006 10:45AM
I have the insurance on my phone (sprint). When the phone busted, I called them and got a re-conditioned one and had to pay $50 deductible!!!! If you add what I paid per month plus the deductible, I could've gotten a NEW phone with more features, Don't even let me get started about how they screw you every time you change your plan!!!! But they do have great coverage.

Posted by: rgG
Date: January 05, 2006 10:46AM
T-Mobile probably has the best price, but check their coverage in your area. My daughter uses T-Mobile pre-paid and it works well for her, but coverage varies widely across the country. They have a good family share plan, too. Check their website for the details and coverage maps.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 05, 2006 10:50AM
Ok... I called the store where I went to... They said that I get vision free for 30 days and NEED to activate vision for 30 days "IF" I get a vision phone... After 30 days (which is the 17th of January) I just cancel the service if I don't want it... So, the accounting dept. / billing dept. misinformed me... So, I have 9 more days to download some ring tones and possibly get some photos e-mailed to me... (no camera but my mom has a verizon phone so I'll try it from hers or I'll just try and e-mail it to me)

I'll accept the $30 per phone "phone upgrade fee"... even though I asked the guy about "activation fee" and he said that there wasn't an activation fee... I just wished he had said "no activation fee however, seeing you are getting rebates on new phones, you will be charged an upgrade fee"...

Oh, and I ended up calling the billing dept. one more time because we had a special 10% off however, it only came off on one of our phones... We already have a better plan that anything sprint has right now (1000 shared minutes plus 7:00 - 7:00 nights and weekends for $70) so the 10$ off practically covers any "fees"... He corrected the 10% off and then said "oh, do you go online with vision? If not, be sure to cancel it by the 17th of January"... Which was nice of him and too bad the first lady didn't tell me that...

Overall, the service is ok... And the price is better than what verizon, cingular and t-moble is offering...

Bill
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 05, 2006 10:55AM
Price-T-Mobile

Coverage Verizon (esp. on the East coast)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 05, 2006 11:03AM
been a sprint user since they went live to the public; actually pre-signed up to get a promotional rate. lived through many transitions w/ them, but spousal unit is a flight attendant w/ major airline, and flew to many of sprint's initial markets, so it weened us off of corporate and costco phone cards. admittedly there has been some pain along the way, but w/ a little persistence, sprint has been reasonably responsive. now that Baby Buzz is a full size kid approaching puberty, we have four phones, three w/ free vison grandfathered in, free n&w, free in network calling, free to nearly free after rebate phones, voice command dialing, 2500 shared minutes, for $121/mo... the killer is the $26-$28 in taxes each month, but that has nothing to do w/ the carrier. before you go ballistic, check out HowardForums.com, they have lots of good info there about all carriers. good luck.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 05, 2006 11:06AM
been screwed by cingular, will go t-mobile once my contract is up.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 05, 2006 11:10AM
spacescape, when did you get the 1000 shared minutes and 7-7 deal? I pay an extra $5/mo to have my eve minutes start at 7, and I think my shared mins are only 900 or maybe even 800...my Sprint contract expires in May.

Meantime, I've been trying out Cingular and the RAZR phone...don't know if it's just the phone, but my coverage is real spotty. Usu the phone does not even ring when a call comes in, no matter where I am in town. This is not rural, this is major Midwest city (KC). That reminds me, I need to send in for the $200 rebate which will likely be denied.
Date: January 05, 2006 11:27AM
I got the plan december 2003... It's $45.00 plus 7:00-7:00 for another $5.00... Then $20.00 to add my wife on my plan... Yes, nothing compaired to what I had when I signed up...

Plus now I get 10% off...

Bill

SteveO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> spacescape, when did you get the 1000 shared
> minutes and 7-7 deal? I pay an extra $5/mo to have
> my eve minutes start at 7, and I think my shared
> mins are only 900 or maybe even 800...my Sprint
> contract expires in May.
>
> Meantime, I've been trying out Cingular and the
> RAZR phone...don't know if it's just the phone,
> but my coverage is real spotty. Usu the phone does
> not even ring when a call comes in, no matter
> where I am in town. This is not rural, this is
> major Midwest city (KC). That reminds me, I need
> to send in for the $200 rebate which will likely
> be denied.

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 05, 2006 02:01PM
someone actually talks like over an hour on the phone?

Geez.

500 minutes!!!!!! holy crap.

Are you a teenager?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 05, 2006 02:18PM
61 seconds = 2 minutes.
Date: January 05, 2006 02:21PM
SteveJobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> someone actually talks like over an hour on the
> phone?
>
> Geez.
>
> 500 minutes!!!!!! holy crap.
>
> Are you a teenager?

It's not that hard to do... "IF" you make a decent number of personal calls and work related calls durring the weekdays before 7:00 PM you can easily go over 400-500 minutes durring a month... Really though, we hardly ever go over 800 TOTAL minutes...

No, I'm not a teenager...

Besides steve when you come out with your new iPhone, you better hope people talk on the phone over 60 minutes a month or your plan is going to fail...

smiling smiley

Bill
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 05, 2006 05:09PM
where do you live? that info would be helpfull.....
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: January 05, 2006 05:36PM
the only good thing about sprint is the fair and flexible thing where overtime is only five cents a minute.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020