The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Add a margin of error?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 23, 2013 10:20PM
Poll
Would you say 4 times or 5 times
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
5 votes were received.
4 1

20%
5 4

80%

I'm writing a manual for a piece of hardware, and if you press the reset button on it more than 5 times in a row it will freeze the system and require a force power down and to be unplugged for 5 minutes. It is a feature, not a bug banghead smiley

If you were writing the manual, would you say do not press more than 5 times because that is what it takes to freeze? Or 4 times to leave a margin of error because people will always try and push the limit and hit the button one more time. Lots of different people use the machine, and it always yields a call when it breaks.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Add a margin of error?
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: February 23, 2013 10:46PM
I've written a lot of manuals, procedures, and Procedures, (Note the use of the capital P; it has legal significance.), and I learned that it pays to be vague on occasion.

My sister wrote books, rather well paying books, in collaboration with an Engineer, who was not wordy. He knew the software in and out, which was convenient; he had written much of it.
He also knew how crappy the software was. It was pushed out way too early, but there were millions to be made. They spent many long nights not being too specific on the books.

My suggestion is: remove the reset button entirely, or place it in a position that most idiots can't find.

"require a force power down and to be unplugged for 5 minutes." Just put that bit in, early in the manual, along with the required warnings and precautions, that nobody will read anyway.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 24, 2013 07:23AM
just write what you already wrote on MRF

"if you press the reset button on it more than 5 times in a row it will freeze the system and require a force power down and to be unplugged for 5 minutes. It is a feature, not a bug"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 07:24AM by space-time.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 24, 2013 01:16PM
If it's 5 then say 5.

Posted by: billb
Date: February 25, 2013 09:13AM
Lie and have a poorly written and documented manual.

No way that could migrate into the product.

Accuracy is teh bomb.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJM
Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020