advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Outlook 2011 Calendar Attachmnets Issues - Help, Please!
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 26, 2013 11:26AM
I use Outlook 2011 for work email/calendar/etc. ( I could switch to Mail/iCal, but haven't.)

My work email account is capped at 150MB. I keep bumping up against the limit.

My calendar has over 36MB of attachments.

In Windows Outlook, it's relatively easy to select a list view for Calendar, and sort by attachments and size.

Doesn't seem that that's possible on Outlook 2011. Here's a statement by a MS support engineer:
Outlook 2011 does not support attaching items to calendar appointments. Hence the calendar entries will not contain any attachments in them for us to search and delete it.
Girish M
Support Engineer Community Star

I'm not sure how that statement can be made: I have many calendar items with attachments in them. The Meeting drop down menu has an Attachments submenu offering Save, Preview, Add and Remove. Add and Remove are greyed out. I can create a meeting, and add attachments.

Finally, my questions:
How do I find attachments easily?
How do I delete attachments?
Can this be done in Mail (or another email client) that I should switch to?

Thanks!

Cary
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Outlook 2011 Calendar Attachmnets Issues - Help, Please!
Posted by: MEG
Date: February 26, 2013 12:41PM
Cary
The Meeting drop down menu has an Attachments submenu offering Save, Preview, Add and Remove. Add and Remove are greyed out. I can create a meeting, and add attachments.

IIRC the Add and Remove are greyed out because you don't have rights to edit the meeting you did not create in Outlook. If you create a meeting you can add or remove attachments.

Ask for them to raise the account quota if they insist on adding attachments to them that you cannot change. Otherwise you can decline the meeting to remove from your calendar and create your own calendar entry for the meeting (but you'll loose any auto updates if it's changed) or go through your email with a fine toothed comb to weed out attachments there (save the attachment to your local computer and then remove attachment from the email).
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 26, 2013 12:56PM
Get that idiotic cap increased. Storage space is dirt cheap.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 26, 2013 01:00PM
Speedy
Get that idiotic cap increased. Storage space is dirt cheap.

Storage space may be cheap, but if you're in a large organization with lots of users, under a managed contract for administration, it isn't so cheap anymore. They just upped the cap where I work from 50MB to 100MB (yes, that's megabytes). They don't want you keeping stuff online, where they have to back it up. We're encourage to offload stuff to PST files to keep storage requirements to a minimum.
Date: February 26, 2013 01:10PM
MEG
IIRC the Add and Remove are greyed out because you don't have rights to edit the meeting you did not create in Outlook. If you create a meeting you can add or remove attachments.

Ask for them to raise the account quota if they insist on adding attachments to them that you cannot change. Otherwise you can decline the meeting to remove from your calendar and create your own calendar entry for the meeting (but you'll loose any auto updates if it's changed) or go through your email with a fine toothed comb to weed out attachments there (save the attachment to your local computer and then remove attachment from the email).

I can't get the quota raised.

Declining the meeting won't work - First of all, the decline gets sent to the organizer, second, the updates don't follow, third, it's a pain in the butt.

Going through my email with a fine-toothed comb is OK, but I can't remove the attachment - that option is greyed out. That's the whole reason I'm asking this to begin with.
Posted by: MEG
Date: February 26, 2013 02:47PM
Cary
Going through my email with a fine-toothed comb is OK, but I can't remove the attachment - that option is greyed out. That's the whole reason I'm asking this to begin with.

Remove any attachments from your emails, not the calendar events. You should be able to remove attachments from any email. 2nd recommendation would be to cull any emails stored on the server but emails without attachments take up an minimal amount of space so don't expect huge gains from just deleting plain emails.

rz
They don't want you keeping stuff online, where they have to back it up. We're encourage to offload stuff to PST files to keep storage requirements to a minimum.

They don't care about backing up the data on your computer?!? Oi vey....
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 26, 2013 04:00PM
In Mac Outlook 2011, when you accept or reject a meeting request, the email gets moved to Deleted Items. Go there. Sort by attachment. Select the ones in the past that have a meeting icon, right-click, Delete.

Or just let it fill up and let IT deal with it. If they're going to cap you so low, don't make their problem your problem. Eventually someone high enough up with be upset they can't send you emails.

You could also setup a Rule within Outlook with the Kind of Meeting Request and the size set to something like 500KB, and have it bounce back to the sender... guess that's not an option. You could forward it to your IT person so they get the picture.

You can probably create a local folder, then create a rule to move large meeting requests directly to the local folder.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: February 26, 2013 07:24PM
M A V I C
In Mac Outlook 2011, when you accept or reject a meeting request, the email gets moved to Deleted Items. Go there. Sort by attachment. Select the ones in the past that have a meeting icon, right-click, Delete.

Or just let it fill up and let IT deal with it. If they're going to cap you so low, don't make their problem your problem. Eventually someone high enough up with be upset they can't send you emails.

You could also setup a Rule within Outlook with the Kind of Meeting Request and the size set to something like 500KB, and have it bounce back to the sender... guess that's not an option. You could forward it to your IT person so they get the picture.

You can probably create a local folder, then create a rule to move large meeting requests directly to the local folder.

I've deleted the meeting requests - I am left with meetings in Calendar that are either completely deletable ( not a great choice - I like to have a record of meetings and attendees), or I can keep them and not be able to delete attachments.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020