advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Solar Powered Security Light Motion Detector?
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 26, 2013 11:45AM
I am wondering if solar security lights have advanced enough to be taken seriously?

I have a spot over my garage that gets direct light, enough it would seem to charge it, but what of the lighting power? The local home store has a unit for $79 that will put out 350 lumen. That's less than my current set up but the solar is basically free after you buy it.

Anyone have any experience with solar powered security lights?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Solar Powered Security Light Motion Detector?
Posted by: rz
Date: February 26, 2013 11:59AM
No, but my experience with other solar lights would make me think twice about it. How often do your security lights go on? How much electricity do you think it's costing you?

My solar landscape lighting worked by charging batteries that would store the energy. They'd kick on at dusk, and if it was a particularly sunny day, I might get about 6 hours out of them. Cloudy/rainy day? Forget it. And after about a year or two, the batteries had to be replaced. So my dream of having "free" power after paying for the lights was just that, a dream.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 26, 2013 12:11PM
I have one on my shed in back. LED lamps, power is stored in 2 "C" sized NiMh cells. The solar panel is perhaps 12"x8". It lights up the local area quite nicely. I set it for a short on/off cycle, and it has yet to not light up because the batteries are dead. I picked it up at Sam's club a couple of years ago.. no idea who made it.

Placement of the solar panel is important, of course.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: February 26, 2013 12:32PM
I bought a $20 one from Newegg (coupon put it at like $12 then) and I have it out back and it works great for my needs.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 26, 2013 12:34PM
Get one that will run using a deep cycle 12v (automobile size) battery and a solar charger.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 26, 2013 12:48PM
<<Get one that will run using a deep cycle 12v (automobile size) battery and a solar charger.>

Is that an on the shelf item at Menards?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 26, 2013 12:50PM
It probably won't be but it sure would be nice if many more things used 12v so these cheap and long lasting batteries could be used.

chopper
<<Get one that will run using a deep cycle 12v (automobile size) battery and a solar charger.>

Is that an on the shelf item at Menards?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 26, 2013 08:24PM
Couple of them here!

It is Harbor!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020