advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Geico commercial with basketball play...???
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 09, 2013 09:17PM
I don't get it. I usually love their commercials but this one just escapes me. Please explain it if there is an explanation of what the purpose of the BB player running pellmell is.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Geico commercial with basketball play...???
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 09, 2013 09:36PM
I don't think that one is as effective as some of their others. They seem to have a shotgun approach to commercials — all different types. Does any insurance company advertise more than Geico?

Edit: I don't follow basketball but I think that player has a reputation as a good blocker so he's happy blocking whenever and whatever he can.

Northern California Coast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 09:54PM by steve....
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 09, 2013 09:47PM
steve...
I don't think that one is as effective as some of their others. They seem to have a shotgun approach to commercials — all different types. Does any insurance company advertise more than Geico?

Allstate/esurance
Progressive
State Farm
Travelers
Farmers
General

Well, OK, maybe Travelers not quite as much, but it sure seems as though insurance companies are an advertising bonanza for television channels the last few years...

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: MEG
Date: March 09, 2013 10:43PM
samintx
Please explain it if there is an explanation of what the purpose of the BB player running pellmell is.

He's the 2nd leading shot blocker of all time in the NBA. He's signature was waving his finger after a blocked shot. But outside of NBA circles he's not that recognizable a person so I agree with Steve that this one's not that effective.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: March 10, 2013 12:17AM
I couldn't think of the players name - Mutombo - that's it. Isn't he unusually tall also (I mean even for a basketball player - 7ft plus?)

[www.youtube.com]

Yep - from Wikipedia: The 7 ft 2 in (2.18 m), 260-pound (120 kg; 19 st) center is commonly referred to as one of the greatest shot blockers and defensive players of all time, winning the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award four times.

It makes a little more sense now.
Posted by: DRR
Date: March 10, 2013 08:35AM
steve...

Edit: I don't follow basketball but I think that player has a reputation as a good blocker so he's happy blocking whenever and whatever he can.

I used to work on GEICO, it's not a shotgun approach. Each campaign is designed to target one of their brand messaging pillars - ease of use, savings, 15 minutes, i forget the last one. Each campaign designed to communicate one of those things, because if you tried to communicate more than one per spot it would be a jumbled mess.

So not a shotgun approach, more like 4 rifles.
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 10, 2013 09:04AM
OK. I'm not into sports so your explanations make sense. Thanks. I still think the commercial falls below their usually funny and effective ads. Love the one they had with the moose and night vision.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 10, 2013 12:21PM
It was totally lost on me, as well. Unless the idea is to get folks on the internet like us to talk about it, I don't understand using such an obscure "celebrity".

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 10, 2013 02:09PM
I would think the Randy Johnson snowball fight would be similar. Only baseball fans would know him.

[www.youtube.com]

Someone from Geico, maybe Warren Buffett, said they advertised so much because almost every adult has to buy car insurance and it is a high-dollar purchase.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 10, 2013 02:31PM
apparently the ad has satisfied the number one requirement of a job well done - people are talking about GEICO even if a bit bewildered.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 10, 2013 03:03PM
Dikembe Mutombo is a great humanitarian who saves lives so whatever it takes to get him paid is a good thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020