advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
a dumb question on RAM installation and password
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 28, 2013 11:05AM
I have stuff on one computer I don't want people looking at. I have know this guy that will be installing the RAM for 100 yrs but don't feel comfortable with someone having access to info on my computer. I have a password to open the computer but does he need that password to see if the RAM works when he installs it?

Don't know how this works.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: a dumb question on RAM installation and password
Posted by: clay
Date: March 28, 2013 11:08AM
Create a new non-admin account and give him the password to that account.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 28, 2013 11:35AM
Sam,

Clay is spot on. Create a second account on the computer. Call it "Test" or some variation. Disable auto-login and give the tech the password for that account. So, after installation, he can power up the computer and go into an account to ensure the upgrade was successful.

FWIW, it's always good to have a spare account on the computer. It comes in handy when troubleshooting problems. If an issue affects one account but not the other, the issue is likely related to that account. If an issue affects both accounts, it's a sign of a deeper, possibly system-wide issue.

If possible, do a backup of your drive prior to the installation of the RAM. Although it sounds like you've got a good tech and it's unlikely you'll have an issue with the machine, it never hurts to be cautious.

Robert
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 28, 2013 11:43AM
or Guest account.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 28, 2013 11:48AM
I'd do what Clay suggested, although unless you use full disk encryption, anyone with physical access to the computer can access anything if they are determined.

But how much time will this person have the computer, upgrading RAM takes just a few minutes, testing it takes a bit longer. Will this be done while you wait? In your home, or at his shop? With just a test or guest account I wouldn't be too worried unless this is a very curious person left alone with your computer for a fairly long time and doesn't have other work to keep them occupied.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 28, 2013 11:51AM
Ah, that wild night in Moscow is coming back to haunt you.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 28, 2013 12:01PM
Relax, your tech guy has his own pRon which is probably better than yours.... wink smiley
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 28, 2013 01:16PM
testcase
Relax, your tech guy has his own pRon which is probably better than yours.... wink smiley

This!
Date: March 28, 2013 02:51PM
Speedy
Ah, that wild night in Moscow is coming back to haunt you.

quiet please. No one is suppose to know...and how did YOU find out, Speedy?
Date: March 28, 2013 02:52PM
testcase

I agree, my day has come and gone. big grin smiley
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 28, 2013 02:54PM
Nothing you do short of installing Filevault or Encryption is going to stop him from being able to look at your files if he wants to. All he has to do is put it in Target mode and he can browse all your files, although he won't be able to see your passwords.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 28, 2013 03:32PM
RAM can be installed and you can watch while you wait. It's quick, and nothing needs to be done except just fire up the computer to make sure that it's working.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 28, 2013 04:39PM
Another option is to Install your own ram, it takes a few seconds, depending upon your Mac. OWC has videos that how how to do it.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 04:41PM by wowzer.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 28, 2013 06:39PM
RAM can be installed and you can watch while you wait. It's quick, and nothing needs to be done except just fire up the computer to make sure that it's working.

This.

Another option is to Install your own ram, it takes a few seconds, depending upon your Mac. OWC has videos that how how to do it.

And this.

And Speedy and testcase! LOL.

As Ken said, this is a while-you-watch operation, if you don't want to take it on by yourself. You don't need to drop it off, and he doesn't have to take it into the back room. Any gentleman would install the RAM, and then have you open the computer to verify operation.

As also mentioned if someone has physical access, they can use an install disk to change the password and get access.

Consider wowzer's suggestion and roll your own. One caveat- it usually takes a fair amount of force to snap the RAM in place. That's the only potentially difficult part. You should be able to get an idea from any video showing the actual installation.

Good luck!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: decay
Date: March 29, 2013 09:44AM
at our small business, we don't allow customers to watch while we install RAM in the back work room. and typically we don't do it while they wait; we're not set up that way.

one way to do it would be install the RAM, then boot the Macbook into the built-in hardware test and run the short test. it will show amount of RAM, if it passed, and the OS wouldn't even be accessed.

---
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 31, 2013 03:40PM
at our small business, we don't allow customers to watch while we install RAM in the back work room. and typically we don't do it while they wait; we're not set up that way.

Irrelevant.

one way to do it would be install the RAM, then boot the Macbook into the built-in hardware test and run the short test. it will show amount of RAM, if it passed, and the OS wouldn't even be accessed.

That's still a while-you-watch operation.

sam knows a guy who will install her RAM. She didn't say it was his business. She's not comfortable with somebody having access to her information. This could easily be done in her presence without accessing any of her info.

If a business did not want to accommodate her because of its workflow, fine, understandable.

It's not necessarily the same if you "know a guy".

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020