advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.75 ( -6.95 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Your copy of Safari is missing important software resources. Please reinstall Safari."
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 03, 2013 11:30AM
Saw that on a plain white "web page" after refreshing this MRF "tips and deals" page. A few seconds later a hard reboot was necessary. The only thing that worked was the cursor and spinning beach all. No apps reachable, no dock and the Finder inaccessable, all locked up.

Laptop had been asleep and I made the mistake of trying to get it to do something while it was reacquiring the WiFi signal, which always locks it up for a few seconds until the signal is aquired.

I miss the old days, when the browser might just complain you're offline. Or the old days, when WiFi hardware couldn't disable the Mac. Or the old days, when a kernel panic might tell you to shut down or when it knew it had been shut down "improperly" and sent a report to Cupertino ... does Apple know when Macs crash anymore?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Your copy of Safari is missing important software resources. Please reinstall Safari."
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 03, 2013 11:38AM
I want my colored "home" icon back! like in the old days.
Re: "Your copy of Safari is missing important software resources. Please reinstall Safari."
Posted by: tortoise
Date: April 03, 2013 12:03PM
deckeda
Saw that on a plain white "web page" after refreshing this MRF "tips and deals" page. A few seconds later a hard reboot was necessary. The only thing that worked was the cursor and spinning beach all. No apps reachable, no dock and the Finder inaccessable, all locked up.

Laptop had been asleep and I made the mistake of trying to get it to do something while it was reacquiring the WiFi signal, which always locks it up for a few seconds until the signal is aquired.

I miss the old days, when the browser might just complain you're offline. Or the old days, when WiFi hardware couldn't disable the Mac. Or the old days, when a kernel panic might tell you to shut down or when it knew it had been shut down "improperly" and sent a report to Cupertino ... does Apple know when Macs crash anymore?

I installed the missing software over two years ago, namely the Chrome browser, havent had any trouble since as Safari is dormant and never opened. Great improvement, too bad Apple seems to have lost it's mojo!
Date: April 03, 2013 12:09PM
tortoise

I installed the missing software over two years ago, namely the Chrome browser, havent had any trouble since as Safari is dormant and never opened. Great improvement, too bad Apple seems to have lost it's mojo!

My issue wasn't actually caused by Safari, but okay. (And both of those browsers use WebKit to render.)
Date: April 03, 2013 01:03PM
tortoise

Chrome is Apple's mojo…plus Google's unique spyware. Enjoy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 01:04PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: decay
Date: April 03, 2013 02:07PM
samintx
I want my colored "home" icon back! like in the old days.

[macmatrix.blogspot.hu]

SideEffects restores color icons to your MacOS X Lion or Mountain Lion Finder Sidebar.

[www.giyf.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 02:07PM by decay.
Posted by: decay
Date: April 03, 2013 02:12PM
or try TotalFinder & enable colored icons in the sidebar in preferences.

[totalfinder.binaryage.com]

[www.giyf.com]
Posted by: JEBB
Date: April 03, 2013 06:13PM
I like that. I've now got my copy of SideEffects installed.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 03, 2013 08:23PM
deckeda
My issue wasn't actually caused by Safari, but okay. (And both of those browsers use WebKit to render.)

Chrome doesn't use the system Webkit, it has its own build installed. Chrome and Safari aren't 100% the same by any stretch of the imagination. Different versions of Webkit, different javascript engine, etc.
Date: April 03, 2013 09:03PM
What kind of Mac? I had a problem with a bad WiFi card that caused me to return a 13" MBP a couple years back.
Date: April 03, 2013 09:44PM
Late '08 MBP running Mountain Lion.
Date: April 03, 2013 09:53PM
tortoise
...too bad Apple seems to have lost it's mojo!

I can't stop thinking about mojo…

"The company once notorious for its ability to upend convention and revolutionize markets may no longer have what it takes, worry some technology journalists. Call it the iPad or the iPlod, but the message seems clear: Apple may have lost its mojo.”

Jeremy A. Kaplan, commenting on the introduction of the new "iPad" device for FOXNews.com, 28 January 2010"
Date: April 04, 2013 07:38AM
Yeah, Kaplan was one of the guys trying to fill the void after Dvorak grew bored bashing Apple after their repeated successes.

But John Dvorak's gift is his ability to take a benefit or a non-issue and make people think it's The End, whereas Kaplan got caught up parroting others in the It Doesn't Have Flash "controversy" surrounding iPad's launch.

And there was another guy trying this, an analyst. Can't remember his name. Englund? England?
Date: April 04, 2013 08:26AM
Try running the hardware test for your Mac. I would be curious of the result.
Date: April 04, 2013 01:52PM
Article Accelerator
Chrome is Apple's mojo…plus Google's unique spyware. Enjoy.

Chrome has as much to do with KDE as Apple, which isn't a whole lot at this point. Chrome is using a different version of Webkit, different Javascript engine, etc. Many companies, including RIM, Nokia, and Google have submitted patches to Webkit. Apple is likewise a large contributer to Webkit, but far from the only one.

To be fair, with Google and Opera putting their support behind Blink (a Webkit fork), Apple could end up as one of the lone contributors to Webkit.

If you are nervous about Chrome's ties to Google, try Chromium instead, it's the Googleless Chrome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 01:56PM by silvarios.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login