advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
touchscreen non-smartphone selection help
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: April 24, 2013 11:25AM
My wonderful daughter wants a touch screen cellphone with no slide out keyboard but cannot afford a data plan. We are on AT&T. I am trying to find the best rated current cell phones that fit the criteria. Any help appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: touchscreen non-smartphone selection help
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 24, 2013 12:31PM
My son used an LG "feature phone" that had a 'touch screen' front end. It sucked. The obvious question.. why does she 'need' a touch screen phone ? Or is she just wanting Dad to pony up for the data plan ? old fogey smiley
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 24, 2013 12:31PM
pb,

Maybe the Phone Finder at phonescoop.com can help. [www.phonescoop.com]. Find it on their and then confirm it doesn't need a data plan at AT&T itself.

Robert
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 24, 2013 03:13PM
My daughter has a prepaid plan (no data) with an ATT Avail. Not bad for a basic smartphone that you can text on, use over WiFi, etc. She's had it for over a year and has managed just fine without paying more for data (she's more likely to use her Touch over WiFi anyway).

If you can find it at retail (packaged in a clamshell), you can activate it without data. But I checked recently for a friend, and it looked like they now make you tack on data if you try to purchase straight from AT&T online. Calling them might help. They obviously don't make much on you if you are paying < $10 month, but I know it can be done.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 24, 2013 03:50PM
One of the Nokia Asha full touch devices? Even the "higher end" devices are somewhere in the $120 to $130 neighborhood. Runs S40 under the hood, a decent app selection for a feature phone and have 3.5G and WiFi (if you get the right model).

Another route is cheap prepaid Android phone, you have the option for data or not on a plan costing between $25-$35 for the basic tier.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 24, 2013 04:02PM
Asha 311 is probably the best of the line. Passable camera for the class, Bluetooth, WiFi, pentaband 3.5G, capacitive touch, 128MB RAM, 1 GHz processor. I've never used this specific model, but have used S40 for years.

I don't think AT&T considers S40 to be a smartphone, which requires data, but...better to do some research first. Make sure the vendor has a good return policy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018