advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
DVD Burner Advice Needed
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: January 05, 2006 04:05PM
The wife needs to get an external DVD burner for her work Win2KPro machine. I thought seeing as how this will live here at home maybe I should get something that's also compatible with my Mac.

I'm looking for something I can put in an external firewire/USB case that will be useable on both platforms. Dual layer would be nice. I haven't done any homework on this yet so any recommendations?

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DVD Burner Advice Needed
Posted by: Srabadan
Date: January 05, 2006 04:18PM
I just picked up a Lite On DL DVD at a computer show for 39 bucks, that price should be easy to meet online.

Pioneer also selling a DL DVD for about 40 this week.

Those DL DVDs are really expensive though.
Re: DVD Burner Advice Needed
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: January 05, 2006 04:39PM
If you want to do some "homework" on SuperDrives, go to [www.xlr8yourmac.com] and check out the Drive Compatibility Database. There you'll find thousands of reports on the various brands, with Mac compatibility for all kinds of Apple machines.

As for my recommendation, I'll point you to the Pioneer DVR-110D BK drive, and the best deal I know of on it is currently $38.45 here:
[www.supermediastore.com]

I recently bought a DVR-110D BK from Supermediastore.com, and it came with the latest available firmware (very important), v1.37, for $41 with free UPS Ground shipping (since expired). The drive came OEM, that's the drive only with Pioneer's warranty/owner's manual, nicely packed in 7-8 layers of bubble-wrap, inside of a box filled with heavy packing peanuts, so there was little chance that it would get damaged in transit.

I like Pioneer optical drives because they are very Mac-friendly and compatible, have excellent burn features including 8X DL ability, and they're known to be very reliable over the long haul. I also have two DVR-109 drives, one internal in my G5 tower, the 2nd internal in my G4 Digital Audio PowerMac, and those have always performed fantastic.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 230
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018