Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.27 ( +0.69 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014
Posted by: DP
Date: May 27, 2013 08:09AM
Each year, 24/7 Wall St. identifies 10 important brands sold in America that we predict will disappear before 2014. This year’s list reflects the brutally competitive nature of certain industries and the importance of not falling behind in efficiency, innovation or financing.

We continue to use the same methodology in deciding which brands will disappear. The major criteria include:
—Declining sales and losses;
—Disclosures by the parent of the brand that it might go out of business;
—Rising costs that are unlikely to be recouped through higher prices;
—Companies that are sold;
—Companies that go into bankruptcy;
—Companies that have lost the great majority of their customers; and
—Operations with withering market share.
Each brand on the list suffers from one or more of these problems. Each of the 10 will be gone, based on our definitions, within 18 months.

They predict J.C. Penney-no surprise there-but Olympus cameras? That one surprises me. Also, Volvo, Mitsubishi, and the WNBA...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 27, 2013 08:11AM
Link?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 27, 2013 08:13AM
[247wallst.com]

It would be sad if Volvo died after GM having already killed Saab.
Both good vehicles beaten down repeatedly by dastardly masters.

!#$@@$#!

are we there yet?

[garyrichard.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 08:16AM by Fritz.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 27, 2013 08:14AM
The parent company of Olympus is embroiled in a huge corporate scandal in Japan that threatens to destroy the whole company.

[en.wikipedia.org]
The Olympus scandal was precipitated on 14 October 2011 when British-born Michael Woodford was suddenly ousted as chief executive of international optical equipment manufacturer, Olympus Corporation. He had been company president for six months, and two weeks prior had been promoted to CEO, when he exposed "one of the biggest and longest-running loss-hiding arrangements in Japanese corporate history", according to the Wall Street Journal.[4] Tsuyoshi Kikukawa, the board chairman, who had appointed Woodford to these positions, reassumed the title of CEO and president.[1][2] The incident raised concern about the endurance of tobashi schemes, and the strength of corporate governance in Japan.

Posted by: DP
Date: May 27, 2013 08:24AM
ka jowct
Link?

Sorry, still waking up this morning... Thx, Fritz.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 27, 2013 08:48AM
Road & Track
Sad, but no print publication is immune from the growing wave of conversion to digital publishing.
Posted by: Black
Date: May 27, 2013 09:08AM
pRICE cUBE
The parent company of Olympus is embroiled in a huge corporate scandal in Japan that threatens to destroy the whole company.

[en.wikipedia.org]
The Olympus scandal was precipitated on 14 October 2011 when British-born Michael Woodford was suddenly ousted as chief executive of international optical equipment manufacturer, Olympus Corporation. He had been company president for six months, and two weeks prior had been promoted to CEO, when he exposed "one of the biggest and longest-running loss-hiding arrangements in Japanese corporate history", according to the Wall Street Journal.[4] Tsuyoshi Kikukawa, the board chairman, who had appointed Woodford to these positions, reassumed the title of CEO and president.[1][2] The incident raised concern about the endurance of tobashi schemes, and the strength of corporate governance in Japan.

I think we've all followed that, but article attributes the struggle to general decline in digital camera market and already small market share.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Date: May 27, 2013 09:09AM
Leap Wireless? Never heard of it....

Would much rather see Sears go away than Penney's. Will probably get my wish soon enough.

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: May 27, 2013 09:51AM
Ron Johnson, former retail chief at Apple, did not do JCP any favors when he tried to force it onto a younger, hipper market. The young'uns didn't respond, and the store's core constituency left. Doing away with sales did not help either. People like sales. What worked for Apple won't necessarily work for a middle-of-the-road traditional department store.
Date: May 27, 2013 10:19AM
I'd be sad to see Road & Track be shut down, lots of great memories from the sports car articles they ran in the Sixties and Seventies.
Posted by: DRR
Date: May 27, 2013 10:48AM
These lists are generally click bait. I'd say 2 out of every 10 may find themselves in serious trouble, and even then, it's not the brand that disappears. If Road and Track has to switch to some sort of digital-only distribution, that's not the disappearance of a brand, that's shifting of delivery method. They've forecasted the deaths of many companies who continue on, albeit their health is in question.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2013 10:53AM
what about Russell BRAND......???

....I think Katy Perry would like that BRAND to disappear....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 27, 2013 12:38PM
The previous list of companies doomed by the end of 2013:
(Qualifiers and equivocations at the link)
10. Avon
9. MetroPCS
8. The Oakland Raiders
7. Salon.com
6. Suzuki
5. Pacific Sunwear
4. Research In Motion
3. Current TV 
2. Talbots
1. American Airlines
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 27, 2013 12:52PM
Their 2013 picks were not too bad.

Nook is a goner, too - it'll be either purchased or sold off in parts later this year. Maybe yahoo will buy them...!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 27, 2013 01:30PM
Didn't click the link, but oftentimes a brand dies and keeps going, zombie-like, when the name gets bought.

Anyway, didn't the Chinese buy Volvo? Doesn't Oly's medical imaging division help bouy the cameras?

Mitsubishi isn't going away; it's one of the largest Japanese families of diversified products. I wouldn't be surprised to see what Americans think of as Mitsubishi disappearing here however (cars and electronics).

Leap Wireless bet on the wrong horse, that the FCC would rule their tech didn't interfere with GPS. It was shown to do so.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 27, 2013 01:32PM
Black

Would much rather see Sears go away than Penney's. Will probably get my wish soon enough.

You don't wish for thousands of people to lose their jobs.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 27, 2013 01:51PM
People like sales.

People like real sales, not the same inventory priced the same with a SALE sign, week after week after week.

Why not.

It seems like a lot of people here wanted GM to go under, resulting in thousands of employees and employees of peripheral and local businesses losing their jobs, and possible whole businesses going under.

I wouldn't mind if Sears dropped clothing from their product line and left that to JCP. And they do SALEs much better.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 27, 2013 02:08PM
RAMd®d
People like sales.

People like real sales, not the same inventory priced the same with a SALE sign, week after week after week.

Why not.

It seems like a lot of people here wanted GM to go under, resulting in thousands of employees and employees of peripheral and local businesses losing their jobs, and possible whole businesses going under.

I wouldn't mind if Sears dropped clothing from their product line and left that to JCP. And they do SALEs much better.

He wasn't being serious. But why would someone wish ill on anyone? I don't think they do. It just comes out like that sometimes. People are trying to survive. We have to support one another.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 27, 2013 02:40PM
He wasn't being serious.

Probably not, but you made the response you did, and that could be seen as edification or chiding.

But why would someone wish ill on anyone? I don't think they do.

I think many here do just that for various reasons, most of which probably say more about them than the targets of their scorn. It happens daily in real life, and no doubt some don't stop the practice just because they enter forums.

It just comes out like that sometimes.

Sometimes, that's true.

People are trying to survive. We have to support one another.

True enough.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: May 27, 2013 03:35PM
Black

Leap owns Cricket.
Date: May 27, 2013 03:36PM
Gutenberg
Ron Johnson, former retail chief at Apple, did not do JCP any favors when he tried to force it onto a younger, hipper market. The young'uns didn't respond, and the store's core constituency left. Doing away with sales did not help either. People like sales. What worked for Apple won't necessarily work for a middle-of-the-road traditional department store.

Heck, the only reason I stayed an Apple user for so long were closeout sales, first at Apple Stores with their refreshed products, then at CompUSA, MicroCenter, Target, etc. Yeah, not normal sales, but I love me some open box or clearance stock.
Date: May 27, 2013 03:46PM
deckeda
Leap Wireless bet on the wrong horse, that the FCC would rule their tech didn't interfere with GPS. It was shown to do so.

I think you are confusing Leap with LightSquared. Leap owns Cricket and yes, Leap did bet on the wrong horse.

They were so sure the iPhone was their white knight, Cricket bet big on large prefunded purchase orders for iPhones. When they didn't fly off the shelves as expected, Cricket was left with expensive unrefundable stock; even worse, they are still on the hook to pay for more iPhones in future quarters. Oops!
Date: May 27, 2013 06:41PM
vision63
Black

Better said: After consistently horrible experiences with staff in stores, and quitting Sears completely, I think Penneys deserves to last longer than Sears... I think the writing is on the wall for both though.

Date: May 27, 2013 06:42PM
silvarios
Black

Leap owns Cricket.

Thanks.

Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: May 27, 2013 07:13PM
It wouldn't do to get clothing out of Sears--then there'd be room to move around.
Date: May 27, 2013 08:05PM
I don't think wishing for a company to disappear automatically equates to wanting people to be unemployed. My partner works with quite a few people formerly employed by Circuit City, May Company, Radio Shack (not gone, but with a greatly reduced footprint) amongst other failed/failing companies.

In a competitive industry, the employees simply bounce to another shop. As someone who has known quite a few people who have worked at both JC Penney and Sears over the last couple decades, none of them were particularly worried about future employment or their current retirement funding when they ceased working at either company. This isn't a case of people after thirty years of work suddenly worrying about pensions being funded.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 27, 2013 08:24PM
DealChat
Date: May 27, 2013 08:30PM
Steve G.
DealChat

Ha! Too soon?
Date: May 27, 2013 08:31PM
silvarios
I don't think wishing for a company to disappear automatically equates to wanting people to be unemployed. My partner works with quite a few people formerly employed by Circuit City, May Company, Radio Shack (not gone, but with a greatly reduced footprint) amongst other failed/failing companies.

In a competitive industry, the employees simply bounce to another shop. As someone who has known quite a few people who have worked at both JC Penney and Sears over the last couple decades, none of them were particularly worried about future employment or their current retirement funding when they ceased working at either company. This isn't a case of people after thirty years of work suddenly worrying about pensions being funded.

I don't think people necessarily want people to be unemployed but if you think it's easy to get one of these jobs then getting one isn't your problem. I know lots of good people that have a hell of a time finding a job. Plenty of people fired by Circuit City etc., didn't ever really find another one. Unemployment in East Oakland, South Los Angeles (places where I'm from) is sky high. It's not for a lack of people trying. When my nephew Jordan found a job at Sears in Santa Monica, we had a party because he was looking for a year. When these stores close, it devastates people. Also, one shouldn't extrapolate their sour experience with the handful of people you encounter across the entire spectrum of the many thousands of workers that you never will ever meet. Workers should be supported. They have families, they are trying to survive.
Date: May 27, 2013 09:21PM
vision63
silvarios

I don't think people necessarily want people to be unemployed but if you think it's easy to get one of these jobs then getting one isn't your problem. I know lots of good people that have a hell of a time finding a job. Plenty of people fired by Circuit City etc., didn't ever really find another one. Unemployment in East Oakland, South Los Angeles (places where I'm from) is sky high. It's not for a lack of people trying. When my nephew Jordan found a job at Sears in Santa Monica, we had a party because he was looking for a year. When these stores close, it devastates people. Also, one shouldn't extrapolate their sour experience with the handful of people you encounter across the entire spectrum of the many thousands of workers that you never will ever meet. Workers should be supported. They have families, they are trying to survive.

My anti-worker campaign is off to a bumpy start....

Date: May 27, 2013 09:44PM
Black
vision63
silvarios

My anti-worker campaign is off to a bumpy start....

I know you well enough to know where your heart is.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 27, 2013 10:33PM
Fritz
[247wallst.com]

I think Ford made a mistake in selling Volvo. They should have merged it with Lincoln, which has no international presence.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: kj
Date: May 28, 2013 12:57AM
Rolando
Fritz
[247wallst.com]

I think Ford made a mistake in selling Volvo. They should have merged it with Lincoln, which has no international presence.

No doubt. I see a lot of newer volvos on the road, and I think they're pretty attractive cars for the most part. Saab hasn't made a car I'd want since the 900. Sad to see diversity shrink in the car market though. I really crave unusual things in general, and homogeneity seems to be the rule now days. On the other hand, Chinese ownership hasn't always been a bad thing (lenovo?). kj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login