advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No video from Mini Display Port of Nvidia Geforce GT 120 on Mac Pro - Mini DisplayPort or cable problem?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 31, 2013 08:27AM
My Mac Pro Xeon2.26GHz 8 Cores Nvidia Geforce GT 120 has no video output from the mini display port.
I run 2 Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP monitors from it, one with a Monoprice 6ft 32AWG DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. The cable is a bit over 2 yrs old.

Monitor is fine but reports no video reaching it from the cable. Is there a way I can confirm if the problem lies either in the cable or the card itself without buying another cable?

Also, can anyone recommend a replacement video card for this Mac Pro that has two video ports but doesn't use Aple's mini display port for one of them?

TIA

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No video from Mini Display Port of Nvidia Geforce GT 120 on Mac Pro - Mini DisplayPort or cable problem?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 31, 2013 08:36AM
Does System Profiler help?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: No video from Mini Display Port of Nvidia Geforce GT 120 on Mac Pro - Mini DisplayPort or cable problem?
Posted by: clay
Date: May 31, 2013 09:08AM
I don't have any troubleshooting tips, but my guess is that it's the cable at fault. I just had an 8-month old mini display port to DVI adapter from Monoprice die on me. Just sent it back to them for a free replacement this week.
Date: May 31, 2013 10:39AM
Speedy
Does System Profiler help?

No, it showed no information.

JoeM
Date: May 31, 2013 10:40AM
clay
I don't have any troubleshooting tips, but my guess is that it's the cable at fault. I just had an 8-month old mini display port to DVI adapter from Monoprice die on me. Just sent it back to them for a free replacement this week.

OK, that's great I'll give it a try. Thanks!

JoeM
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 01, 2013 02:15AM
There is a knows issue with minis, mini-Display Port, and the 2407. Most people with the problem haven't found a solution. Some have found temporary fixes or arcane workarounds.

In some cases, the the mini-DispalyPort cable shipped was not a dual-something, and getting the correct cable fixed the issue. And many times the fix was short-lived.

The Dell Community Discussions has a HUGE thread or two on the subject.

Good luck.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 01, 2013 07:35AM
RAMd®d
There is a knows issue with minis, mini-Display Port, and the 2407. Most people with the problem haven't found a solution. Some have found temporary fixes or arcane workarounds.

In some cases, the the mini-DispalyPort cable shipped was not a dual-something, and getting the correct cable fixed the issue. And many times the fix was short-lived.

The Dell Community Discussions has a HUGE thread or two on the subject.

Good luck.

Thanks for this info. Mono price is sending a new cable so I'll try that first. I've never liked the female end of the mini display port connector. The mono price cable has some play when seated due to the weight of the male end of the cable and lack of any security screws being used in the mini display port design.

If it doesn't solve the problem I will replace the card.

JoeM
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 01, 2013 07:03PM
Good luck, Joe.

I hope a good dual-link cable fixes your problem.

The major problem 2407 owners have been experiencing involves minis and the mini-DisplayPort, mostly, but some other computers as well. And that may just be to do the popularity of the mini.

When the mini and the monitor went to sleep, the monitor wouldn't wake up. At one point, Dell was supplying single-link cables, not dual link. Getting a dual-link cable seemed to help.

For others with a dual-link cable, there was an On/Off dance with the mini and monitor that would get it back on, until the monitor went to sleep again.

Then there was something about a *special* mini-DP to DP cable that didn't have power to one particular pin. I got that; no joy. It worked for some people, for a time.

Dell has never fixed this through at least eight firmware upgrades, They did replace some brand new monitors with refurbs, and that help some, for a while.

This whole thing may not even apply to you, and I hope it doesn't.

My only permanent, 100% effective fix was to buy an Apple LED display and repurpose the Dell to a BD player via HDMI.

Again, good luck to you.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020