advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
BNC Monitor Cables, 4 vs. 5 connectors...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 26, 2006 01:36PM
We have a couple of old Sony "PS" series CRT monitors that use both VGA and BNC connectors, and have built in A/B switches for the two inputs. The BNC interface has five connectors. I hope to be giving one of them away w/ a mac in the next week, or so, and have run into the following conundrum;

on board video has mac connector, but doesn't work well in OS X, PCI video has VGA (HD15) connector and plays nice in all OS revs. we have two available BNC cables, a 5 BNC connector to mac, and 4 BNC connector to VGA. I've forgotten whatever I ever knew about BNC video, but rather than buying a new VGA/VGA cable, I was hoping the 4 connector BNC to VGA cable would work, though what's left of my internal memory bank says the 4 BNC connector cable was from a prior fixed resolution application in the days of multi-thousand dollar CRT color monitors. It has R, G, B, and Black connectors, and the 5's have an add'l White/Lt. Grey connector. the mac and the monitor are in different locations, so I can't do a plug and play test, so am relying on the forum's technical expertise to determine if the white (lt. grey?) connector is a necessary part of the equation, such as in controlling resolution or something equally, or more, important to its actually working. the connectors on the monitor are marked; R, G, B, HD, and VD, with the "HD" being used for the white/lt. grey connector that is missing from the 4 connector cable.

so, will the 4 connector work? or should we keep looking for the reverse VGA to mac video adapters that (hopefully) are (still) around here someplace to use w/ the 5 connector cable? thanks,

Buzz
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: BNC Monitor Cables, 4 vs. 5 connectors...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 26, 2006 01:59PM
I THINK that the grey cable is some sort of sync signal.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 26, 2006 02:53PM
that sounds right C(-)ris.

My father in law has a monster 24" Sun workstation monitor at home with the 5 BNCs, and I recall him bitching about the sync connector being flakey on it.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 26, 2006 03:43PM
Depends on the monitor whether you need all 5 BNC inputs connected. The RGB signals are obvious usually. The other two BNC connections are for the Horizontal synch and Vertical synch signals. Some monitors support supplying both H and V synch as a composite synch to just one of the H or V inputs, don't recall which at the moment. That can be done through the 4-BNC cable if it is possible. Would need more information about the Sony monitor, there are many variations built around the same basic Sony model. There may be a switch, internal or external, an on-screen setup, or auto-sensing to handle using the BNC inputs with combined synch instead of separate H and V synch.

Date: August 26, 2006 04:27PM
that would explain the "HD" & "VD" connectors as likely being the horizontal and vertical synching? it's the "Multisynch 400PS" circa 1998 in question. still looking for the reverse VGA to mac video adapter... I'm thinking they came w/ the Pismo when new(?)...

==
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 26, 2006 04:33PM
Buzz
that would explain the "HD" & "VD" connectors as likely being the horizontal and vertical synching? it's the "Multisynch 400PS" circa 1998 in question. still looking for the reverse VGA to mac video adapter... I'm thinking they came w/ the Pismo when new(?)...

Mac monitor to VGA video card/port?
Date: August 26, 2006 05:26PM
Racer, Yes, I think the Pismos came w/ an adapter that converts the VGA port to a mac video port so it could be used w/ an external mac cabled monitor, which in this case would (should?) allow the use of the 5 connector BNC cable... it worked on native mac video port years ago, so thinking (hoping!) that adapter, if/when found, will also work at no add'l charge; goal is to donate/divest/get rid of stuff, not buy anything new if it can, at all, be avoided...

==
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 26, 2006 05:31PM
From the spec sheet and manual from here:

[esupport.sony.com]

it appears this monitor supports composite synch and synch-on-green. So unless something funky is being done in that VGA-4BNC cable, it should work

Date: August 27, 2006 01:21AM
Thanks Joe, we'll keep our fingers crossed for no funkiness..., and keep looking for the Pismo adapter until we get a chance to try out the VGA-4BNC cable... whichever works first B)

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018