Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Heatsink Cover For Digital Audio G4
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: December 12, 2005 10:19AM
Hey,

Anyone know the best place to get a heatisnk cover for the DA G4. I've found them online but the price is around $65.00 which seems a little high for a piece of plastic and a fan.

The reason I need one is that I recently got a deal on a DA on e-bay, only the heatsink cover has been cut apart and then reassembled -- probably as part of a processor upgrade and then downgrade. The machine works great with the jerry-rigged cover, but I'd love to get a new clean one if I could find one for a reasonable price.

If it helps, the apple part number is: 922-4357

Thanks,

Shawn

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Heatsink Cover For Digital Audio G4
Posted by: viaripatti
Date: December 12, 2005 03:04PM
FYI,
Those Digital Audio 733's do NOT need that fan unless you're running them somewhere in the Arizona desert. Apple over engineered them as usual. I've owned about 20 Digital Audios and have removed those fan & covers with zero effects to eliminate that extra little whirring sound-I'm very particular about noise if it's not needed. I do test my machines for heat issues by rendering endless movies at 100% processor power; a stock 733 without the fan and shroud never misses a beat AND the heatsink is barely warm after all of that hard usage. I DO rebend the heatsink clips and apply artic silver thermal paste just to be sure.
The only time I've replaced them is when I've uplclocked G4/466's at 600Mhz or those 733 at 867 just for safety. Those Digital Audios are the BEST machine apple ever made IMHO-totally assembled in the USA and I've never had a bad one yet.

I don't have any that I would like to sell since these machines overclock so well and I reserve them for that purpose.
Re: Heatsink Cover For Digital Audio G4
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 12, 2005 10:05PM
i bought one for mine, since i'm running a Sonnet 1.0 GHz and want to keep it as cool as possible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020