advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.96 ( -0.83 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone else not impressed with iOS 7 design and colors?
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: June 10, 2013 05:30PM
I love the OS and some of the new features, but this new design and colors doesn't look 'Apple'. I'm much more impressed by Microsoft's mobile windows design than this (I can't believe I just wrote that).

Specifically, I find the greens distracting - my eyes are all over the place. The white transluceny causes difficulty in reading as opposed to the current black and MS's black. I think they went too far in trying to simplify and clean - black text on a white background with little color may make it simple, but not necessarily beautiful, attractive, or inviting.

Obviously very subjective, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone else not impressed with iOS 7 design and colors?
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 10, 2013 05:39PM
Overall I thought it looked pretty good. I also bet that a lot of the cosmetics will be able to be customized to some extent.

Athens, OH
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 10, 2013 05:40PM
I like the look. I would design more web stuff like that (and have for years) if it was easy to do (eg blurs in CSS...)

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 10, 2013 06:31PM
i will withhold judgement until i use it.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: rz
Date: June 10, 2013 06:53PM
Fugly is the word I thought of when I saw it.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 10, 2013 06:58PM
Withholding judgement, but I personally would not pick those colors as the obvious first choice.

But Ives has picked some pretty terrible colors in the past for iPods.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: June 10, 2013 07:00PM
From the video, it seems very usable. I like the way they're dealing with multitasking and appreciate AirDrop.
Date: June 10, 2013 07:09PM
I would imagine the colors are all configurable.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 10, 2013 07:25PM
I'm sure I won't mind it. Seems OK from the video they posted. The new features are cool.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to call it an improvement in usability because of the thin fonts and low contrast "buttons." In more than one shot I saw buttons and icons arranged in rows, and they lacked any differentiating color and scant shape differences.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 10, 2013 07:56PM
I understand wanting a new look for iOS, but this is not an improvement, IMO. Form should follow function, and at first blush, I think the new look is less attractive and harder to read. I hope I'm wrong, but this seems to be a step backward.

Our brains understand reality in 3 dimensions. it makes no sense to me to try to represent many different and subtle ideas using only 2 of those dimensions.

iOS 7 "Cotton Candy"

If an idea wanted to cross his mind it would need to bring a canteen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 08:15PM by Ammo.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 10, 2013 08:18PM
I AM looking forward to background options for apps like Podcasts.
Date: June 10, 2013 09:31PM
I guess the way I see the design is as translucent sheets. There's as much contrast as the background image you choose. A lot of the screenshots show a high level of contrast, and some that don't have so much. The biggest improvement I seem to see is that since things are streamlined a bit, it's a lot easier to see buttons, for example, than it was before. They're a lot more distinguishable and the interface is a lot less cluttered.

One of my complaints with the iOS before was everything was just a pile of clutter. Now the clutter is more contained.

Here's a good example:

And a bad example:

Hopefully Apple will have ways to improve contrast before this thing ships.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2013 01:03AM
I'm much more impressed by Microsoft's mobile windows design

I'm not at all impressed with MS's efforts. It looks like kids' blocks, or something from a book for little kids.

On the other hand, while I like the overall look for 7, I'd like the icons to be less flat, like the first icons on the 'Phone. Some of Apple's icons became flatter over time, and I prefer the "lickable" look.

Still, the new look is more elegant than 6. I think that in using 7 for a bit, the older OSs will seem clunky.

I like the frosted glass look. For my desktop and lock screen I use two different versions of the same picture. The lock screen is sharp, but I used the 'Phone's iPhoto to blur it (maximum blur was still somewhat light) for the desktop. That makes the icons stand out a little. Peeking around them a little bit looks pretty cool.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: June 11, 2013 02:26AM
Ammo
I understand wanting a new look for iOS, but this is not an improvement, IMO. Form should follow function, and at first blush, I think the new look is less attractive and harder to read. I hope I'm wrong, but this seems to be a step backward.

Our brains understand reality in 3 dimensions. it makes no sense to me to try to represent many different and subtle ideas using only 2 of those dimensions.

Our brains actually don't "understand reality in 3 dimensions", as it relates to screens, computers, and basic iconography recognition, which is its own reality, and recognition time is almost certainly faster when there are fewer dimensions and textures and shadings involved.

The differences are probably so minor that there's no significant advantage or disadvantage either way, but if we're going to drag the brain into it, it's not the best argument to make. if it's a taste complaint, or a rejection of the new look for other (non brain-theory reasons) then that's perfectly valid.

One of the complaints when OS X replaced Apple's traditional flat grey simple iconography was that those flat iconic images were instantly-readable in the brain in a way that softer textured, more colored, more dimensional candy OS images take longer to decode and process.

Example, a circle with the dots and a curly line is recognizable as a face (smiley face doodle) more globally and instantly than a textured dimensional graphic representation of a face.

Not a defense of the new iOS look--I haven't really formed an opinion yet. Just a contrary comment regarding how the brain recognizes and processes imagery and iconography.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 11, 2013 06:22AM
mattkime
i will withhold judgement until i use it.

agree smiley

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mavericks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login