advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iphone 5 versus 4s
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: June 15, 2013 09:23AM
My daughter has requested an iphone 4s instead of an iphone 5. What do you think are the ramifications of that decision going into the future. She thinks the 5 is too big. And she is paying.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iphone 5 versus 4s
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: June 15, 2013 09:35AM
AirDrop sharing and filters in the camera app are 2 of the new iOS7 features that so far don't appear to be coming to the 4S.

[cdn.iphoneincanada.ca]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 15, 2013 09:35AM
It depends on if she is the type of person who buys a phone every 2 years or every 4. The 4S is cheaper and really there are no tangibile benefits offered by the 5 other than it is newer and a bit faster. The 4S will get by just fine for another 2 years, but at the end of 2 years Apple will have likely abandoned it. If she wants to keep using it beyond that she should get the 5 or be prepared to upgrade again in 2 years.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 15, 2013 09:46AM
Mostly depends on the coverage area for LTE where she lives.

The iP5 is not that much bigger than a 4S. We're not talking iP4S vs Galaxy Note here.

The main advantage of the iP5, IMHO, is LTE connectivity. LTE, when implemented properly, is as fast or faster than many home broadband connections. I have an LTE iPad, and I truly do not know when I switch between wifi and LTE based on speed.

My son has an iP4S, and he's off to college. His coverage area for AT&T does not yet have LTE. We're eligible for the upgrade next month (which is a no-brainer, we can sell the iP4S for the cost of the iP5), but there's not point until they get LTE. Besides, that university has a quality wireless network for free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2013 09:47AM by sekker.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 15, 2013 09:47AM
Most people say their 4/4s had much better battery life than 5.

Is this something to consider?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 15, 2013 11:20AM
space-time

I continue to be baffled by this statement. My 5 has better battery life than my 4 did. Plus is has much better network connection than the 4.
Posted by: Buck
Date: June 15, 2013 11:39AM
It looks like new models are coming in September -- rumors are rumors of course. By then, my 4S will be 2 years old and I will get the biggest new iPhone. It just needs to be a little smaller than the iPad Mini so it fits in my pocket.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 15, 2013 11:52AM
macphanatic
space-time

I continue to be baffled by this statement. My 5 has better battery life than my 4 did. Plus is has much better network connection than the 4.

To make it clear: I did not own a 4 or 4s, but when I asked about battery life on 5, almost everyone said their 4/4s had much better battery life. I have seen that mentioned in other unrelated thread as well.

as always YMMV
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 15, 2013 12:04PM
If she's already held a 5 and it's too big, then it's too big.

The 4S won't take full advantage of iOS7, when it ships. And it may not be able to use iOS8 at all. But for making phone calls, it's just as capable. And no LTE.

There are still a number of accessories available for it, so there's no huge downside. If the 5 wasn't too big, then there could be a noticeable disadvantage getting a 4S this close to a 5S being announced (Oct-Sept, for my money).

I've been getting a new 'Phone every 2+ years, since the 2G. I'll probably get a 5S, but I'd like to cut back to every four years.

And, I'm considering Sprint. They seem to have good coverage in my area. Who knew!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 15, 2013 12:05PM
space-time

It's the other way around.
Date: June 15, 2013 01:26PM
Poor battery life on the 5 was fixed with a software update.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 15, 2013 01:26PM
I agree with buck -- in just a few months the 4S will be 2 years old -- thats just too far back.

Assuming shes touched both, then kinda got to let he make her own decision, mistake or not.

As for me, I have a 4, the wife has a 5 -- the 5 may be bigger, but it feels like it weighs half as much. As a guy, I could get into the "its too big for my pocket argument" -- but women (at least those over 16 that also have a car) always have purses -- doesnt seem to be as a big deal.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 15, 2013 02:05PM
pbarra,

I wouldn't buy either right now. I'd wait to see what Apple offers when they release the next flavor of the iPhone. That said, I have a 4S and my wife has a 5. I've had the opportunity to use both as well as upgrade to a 5. I've chosen to wait. The 4S is a great phone. It's offer far more than enough features and horsepower that I can't think of any reason to move to an iPhone 5.

Sure, with the advent of iOS 7 it may not support some of the absolute newest of the features. That's cool. I have no interest in Airdrop. Same goes for camera filters. Not sure what other features won't be available to the 4S but the loss of those two are non-issues. The loss of them will have no impact whatsoever on how I use my 4S. But, I already have the phone and that's a huge factor in this equation. If I didn't have an iPhone and wanted one and needed to buy it now, I'd go for the 5.

Reasons for the 5:

A. The most current iOS hardware available from apple. It'll be supported by Apple and its OSs for a longer duration.

b. New accessories from Apple and other manufacturers are likely to ship with a lightning port instead of the old design.

C. Current and future apps will support the 5 for a longer duration (though I haven't come across an app that doesn't work on my 4S yet)

D. Available in a greater variety of capacities.

Reasons not to buy a 4S (even though it's a fantastic phone!)

a. Limited to storage capacity. Currently, the only 4S available for AT&T is a 16 gig model.

I wouldn't go near a 16 gig model. I need at least 32 gigs or more of capacity in my phone. Heck, I have a 64 gig model and I've already blown past the 32 gig mark. Then again, my 4S serves as a phone, business tool, personal information tool, media player, and portable game console. However, how I use an iphone and how she'll use it will likely differ and a lower capacity model may prove more than sufficient.

B. iOS support after iOS 7. Apple still supports the iPhone 4 under 7. The iPhone 4S is likely to be supported under iOS 8 when it comes out next time 'round. However, likely is the operative word.

C. Battery life. Although I've never had an issue with the battery life of the 4S - I charge it once a day - the 5 supposedly has better battery life.

One of the key issues you didn't bring into place is price. The amount of money she has to spend on the phone will impact her decision. She'll need the phone and necessary accessories. I'd also get Applecare for it. The cost of all this must be taken into consideration when she chooses the phone.

That she also checked out the 5 and felt it was too big is a different matter entirely. Me, I don't notice the difference in size because my 4S is in a rugged case. Same goes for any phone I purchase. So, for me, the actual size of the phone doesn't come into play unless it's a really tangible difference. My 4S in its case is noticeably larger than my wife's 5 in its semi-rugged case.

Robert
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: June 15, 2013 03:06PM
A few other comments about the iPhone 5:

Although mine is in a protective case, the aluminum around the front-glass has still gotten scuffed and is not pretty anymore. Not happy about that.

And LTE is awesome for data, but not so awesome for phone calls. When calling with LTE enabled, my phone drops calls at distinct points along my commute such that I'm pretty sure that it's not handing off properly between cell towers. When I disable LTE, my calls are not dropped.

Also, LTE is unavailable in most places. I'm on AT&T, but Verizon users have the same problem: No LTE outside of big cities.

Overall, however, I like it more than my 4S. It is much faster at many tasks, particularly at taking photos; tethering via LTE is comparable to connecting to a cable modem; the screen is nicer; the extra row of icons is useful; and games play more smoothly.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: June 15, 2013 03:56PM
With a new iPhone right around the corner I would wait unless I absolutely needed one. There are also rumors of a low cost iPhone coming, The rumor mill seems to think the low cost version will not have a retina display which means it could use the iPhone 4's body. All just speculation but I would wait.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 15, 2013 06:18PM
Get her a cheap used 4 for now if she needs a phone right now. Then upgrade her to the iPhone 5s or 6 when it appears. No point having a 2 year contract on such an old phone with no hope for LTE coverage which is increasing by the day. Anybody that thinks the 5 is big must be pixies.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 16, 2013 02:03AM
I don't care for the lightning port on the 5. No analog video output. I feel like the battery life is shorter. I'm always plugging mine in. The different screen ratio makes texting difficult in the landscape mode "to me." I think the 4 is easier to use single handed.

I like my 5 but I'm honest about what I don't like.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 16, 2013 06:41AM
davemchine
I don't care for the lightning port on the 5. No analog video output. I feel like the battery life is shorter. I'm always plugging mine in. The different screen ratio makes texting difficult in the landscape mode "to me." I think the 4 is easier to use single handed.

I like my 5 but I'm honest about what I don't like.

The lightning port has it's downsides, but I like it better than the 30 pin dock connector. Apple could have come up with a "lighting" connector that only plugged in one way that carried dedicated signals. Maybe made it a bit bigger to carry audio and video. Having to carry dongles really doesn't fit the Apple mantra of it just works. Of course, if everything supported Airplay, it would be a moot point.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 16, 2013 12:19PM
The lightning adapter has plenty of pins to carry video. Apple crippled it to close the analog gap.

I've been reading about a lot of cable failures and also damage to the very small port. I think it's too fragile. I'm really careful with mine.

We have seven portable ios devices in our home but only two with lightning so I am in dongle city. The lack of digital video is the most cumbersome though.

I didn't ask for the floppy drive back but I wouldn't mind a 30 pin connector back.
Date: June 16, 2013 01:57PM
I'm sure the lightning port is going to be nicer than a smaller USB, and it'll have some advantages over 30pin.

But I think it's very hard to make a quality and small connector.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018