Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: X-Plane Flight Simulator
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 17, 2013 10:58AM
[www.x-plane.com]

Anyone have this Flight Simulator? Just bought this software last week and proceeded to load it on a 2.0 GHz Quad-Core i7 MacMini Server (Running Mountain Lion, non-server version), the software runs in 64-bit mode. I just ran it long enough to fly a C-172 off the runway of an airport using mouse control, pretty cool. I have a Yoke & Rudder Pedals to pull out of the closet and try with the setup. Looking forward to having fun with this software.

Anyone else playing with this software? Experiences?

Jeff
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: X-Plane Flight Simulator
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 17, 2013 11:06AM
I tried it back when they first released it.. what... a decade and a half ago ? It was nicely done. I can imagine they've gotten better.

The advances are nothing short of amazing to this old school programmer, who wrote his first flight simulator in BASIC at age 13, and his second in PDP-11 Assembler and FORTRAN-IV at age 15. Back in the 1970's.

We live in a wondrous world.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 17, 2013 11:12AM
I thought that XPlane was free software? It used to be embedded in Google Earth too.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: June 17, 2013 11:43AM
I don't know how it was offered in the past. This past week I paid $70 for it. They send and 8 DVD package that runs on the Mac, PC and Linux.
Posted by: jims
Date: June 17, 2013 01:19PM
Please post a review when you have given it a good workout. After being a corporate pilot for 31 years the job market for us oldsters in small towns is not so good. I have looked at different sims, but have not found one I liked. If this is good I would invest in a yoke and rudder pedals

jims
jims
Date: June 17, 2013 02:18PM
I will do a follow-up in a few weeks.

I was impressed with some of the people that use the software and reviews that I have read. Scroll down and see information on this on page that pops up at [www.x-plane.com]

My experience with flying is much less than yours: 1500 hours spread over about 25 years including some CFI experience and owner of a Baron C-55 for about 5 years. Although instrument rated, I never spent much time actual IMC. Part of my desire for the simulator is to have fun in reviewing procedures for IFR and to start gaining insight into those new glass cockpits. After being away from flying over the past 7 years (gulp), I'd like to start reviewing this stuff while getting back into flying on weekends at the local airport.

I bought a set of rudder pedals and yoke from Circuit City several years back when they were having closing liquidation sales. Have not used them yet at all, but anxious to do so.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 02:24PM by SKYLANE.
Re: jims
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: June 17, 2013 03:26PM
SKYLANE
After being away from flying over the past 7 years (gulp), I'd like to start reviewing this stuff while getting back into flying on weekends at the local airport.

How hard could it be? It's probably just like riding a bike.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Jeff
Posted by: jims
Date: June 17, 2013 03:31PM
I'll look forward to a review on the software. Hope it is as much fun as it looks.
The glass cockpit is really cool. My last job was flying co-pilot on a Citation CJ2+ with the Collins Proline Glass cockpit.

jims
Re: jims
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 17, 2013 11:09PM
kj4btkljv
SKYLANE
After being away from flying over the past 7 years (gulp), I'd like to start reviewing this stuff while getting back into flying on weekends at the local airport.

How hard could it be? It's probably just like riding a bike.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Jeff

except when you ride your bike into a fog-shrouded mountain because of a flat stall.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018