advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
String trimmer/weed wackers: gas, battery or corded?
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 08, 2013 08:23AM
I need to purchase a weed wacker/trimmer for the house.

I saw a beat up one at a garage sale over the weekend. It was an old battery powered one for $10. It had a 6inch metal wire thing at the end of it. One of which was missing. Does that metal wire thing do the cutting? I thought it is usually plastic pliable wire that does the cutting.

50x100 plot. Grass lawn in front and back. I'm leaning towards a corded model so i don't have to worry about batteries going dead. I have a gas powered John Deere mower so I'm not 100% totally against gas. Just thought it would be overkill for my needs. Just need something to trim the edges and grass/weeds around a few trees and bushes.

Any recommendations?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: String trimmer/weed wackers: gas, battery or corded?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 08, 2013 08:51AM
I purchased a Ryobi 18V LiOn model from Home Despot's return bin last year. I have a much larger yard with lots of fences and shrubs and whatnot to trim around. The battery lets me do the whole yard, it's light and does not vibrate my arthritic hands into crab pincers. My old gasoline powered weed whacker hasn't been out of the shed since I bought it.

I strongly recommend them.

I would avoid buying a battery operated appliance at a garage sale because the battery is most certainly kaput.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 08, 2013 08:56AM
IMHO, Echo is a very good brand, and a gas powered trimmer will be more heavy duty than corded or battery powered.
Dragging around a cord s a real pain. If you don't want to go gas, I think I would look for well reviewed lithium battery powered models.
Normally string trimmers use nylon cord, but there are multi-blade attachments to replace the string. I have one of the plastic blade attachments on our trimmer, and I like it much better than the string.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 08, 2013 08:58AM
After owning two $50 Black and Decker corded models with expensive proprietary trimmer line systems (which quickly ran out or stopped working correctly), I followed the forum's advice last summer and got a gas powered Echo for ~$220 at Home Depot. May seem like overkill, but it makes the job so much faster and easier, that it is already worth it to me. The easily replaceable $30 spool of line I bought should last me many years!

Not sure if this is the thread.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 08, 2013 09:04AM
Woot has this one until tonight.

[tools.woot.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: July 08, 2013 09:11AM
datbeme
After owning two $50 Black and Decker corded models with expensive proprietary trimmer line systems (which quickly ran out or stopped working correctly), I followed the forum's advice last summer and got a gas powered Echo for ~$220 at Home Depot. May seem like overkill, but it makes the job so much faster and easier, that it is already worth it to me. The easily replaceable $30 spool of line I bought should last me many years!

Not sure if this is the thread.

[forums.macresource.com]

I bought that Echo (straight shaft, right? The curved shaft is considerably cheaper) and I like it....
but I would recommend a corded model for the OP-- lightest option, and the only consumables are the line. I'd try to find one that uses at least .80 line though, as it's a pain when the .65 stuff is always breaking. I have been using a HomeLite most recently and it's been fine.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 08, 2013 09:54AM
I am bad at keeping gas-propelled things going, so I have a corded one. They're cheaper and the cord dragging is not that big of a deal to me.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 08, 2013 10:08AM
Dennis S
I am bad at keeping gas-propelled things going, so I have a corded one. They're cheaper and the cord dragging is not that big of a deal to me.

agree smiley

I have a Troybilt "system" that's electric where you can put different attachments on it. I have the weedwhacker, the blower and the tiller. Have considered the edger attachment, but already had an electric edger that I like. The weedwhacker attachment takes the .080 line. The blower is powerful but quiet.

If I was just looking for a weedwhacker, I'd probably look at the batter powered ones. But the tiller attachment I have needs more power than the batter would be able to supply.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 08, 2013 10:31AM
i have a 24V Black and Decker which is great - for the 7 or 8 minutes it runs before the battery is drained. i use it for touch ups. longer jobs get the corded B&D dragged out. i had a gas powered pull start one years ago and it was too aggravating. relieved when it finally died.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: M>B>
Date: July 08, 2013 10:38AM
Saw this on an TV commercial, seems interesting...

[ww2.pivotrim.com]
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: July 08, 2013 11:01AM
I have had this one for about a year now and love it. I have a 100 x 100 lot with a bunch of flowerbeds to trim around and have not had the battery run out yet. It is lightweight and has twistable head for edging.

Earthwise Trimmer

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 08, 2013 11:08AM
cbelt3
I purchased a Ryobi 18V LiOn model from Home Despot's return bin last year. I have a much larger yard with lots of fences and shrubs and whatnot to trim around. The battery lets me do the whole yard, it's light and does not vibrate my arthritic hands into crab pincers. My old gasoline powered weed whacker hasn't been out of the shed since I bought it.

I strongly recommend them.

I would avoid buying a battery operated appliance at a garage sale because the battery is most certainly kaput.

agree smiley

I have the same one. 50x100 seems like the same ballpark as my yard. No problems finishing on one charge. Not as powerful as a gas trimmer, but good enough unless you're blazing a trail through native prairie grass. Easy to wind/refill, light, self-feeding line. Convenience is the main draw, though. No cord to wind/unwind/drag around, don't need to worry about gas (maintenance, mixing oil, will it start). Just pop in the battery and go. I actually have four or five of the batteries since I bought into the whole system (drill/driver, impact driver, hammer drill, hedge trimmer, and string trimmer). Ryobi's not in the same league as the contractor-level stuff, but I think they hit the nail on the head for price vs performance for most homeowners.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 08, 2013 03:29PM
cbelt3
I purchased a Ryobi 18V LiOn model from Home Despot's return bin last year.

One benefit of this one is the whole slew of battery operated tools that use that same battery.

[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 08, 2013 03:53PM
If you can get by with a battery powered one I'd do it. Even though gas has had ethanol in it for years they
still are not making 2-cycle engines that like the stuff. My wife bought a commercial Dolmar trimmer, one
if the lightest commercial rated trimmers on the market, it's only 3 years old and it's already been in for
new fuel lines, filter pickup filter and the carb. cleaned out. She runs Stabil and StarTron in the fuel which
suppose to help counteract the effects of ethanol but it doesn't help like they say it does. The mechanic that
fixed it said buy only 93 octane pure gas and run Shindaiwa mix with Seafoam already in it and gave her a
list of stations that carry pure 93. He said they see fuel related problems in all brands of trimmers everyday.

If going with gas I'd look at the Echo SRM-225 it nearly the same trimmer as a Shindaiwa which is what
many pros use. Echo bought Shindaiwa.
[www.homedepot.com]

If going cordless electric I'd look at the Ryobi 40 Volt series.
[www.homedepot.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 08, 2013 04:28PM
Michael
cbelt3

One benefit of this one is the whole slew of battery operated tools that use that same battery.

[www.homedepot.com]

NICE. Good call on that!!
I've been meaning to also get a leaf blower and an oscillating multi-tool as well! Just need to catch up on the reviews. Although it's great to have it all run on one battery style. I want to be sure the tool itself is well made.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 08, 2013 05:42PM
3d
Michael
cbelt3

[www.homedepot.com]

NICE. Good call on that!!
I've been meaning to also get a leaf blower and an oscillating multi-tool as well! Just need to catch up on the reviews. Although it's great to have it all run on one battery style. I want to be sure the tool itself is well made.

Anyone have any experience with the Ryobi leaf blower? I've got a lot of their battery stuff already, but the leaf blower is one tool where I think I'd be pretty disappointed if the power was much of a step down from my current cheapo corded blower. I really want to like it, though. That's the one tool I have yet to cut the cord on.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: July 08, 2013 06:57PM
Dennis S

Have to agree with Dennis on this one!
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: July 08, 2013 07:32PM
h linamen
Dennis S

Have to agree with Dennis on this one!

I agree as well. There are a couple of tricks with cords that apply here:
* Cheap is good. Cheap cords are thin light cords, (18 gauge), and the typical trimmer doesn't use much current.
* Lay your line out beforehand. Lay the line out in a lazy zig-zag to the furthest point, and trim backwards from there.

I find that gas trimmers are too heavy, too noisy, have too much vibration, and are just overall too fussy to deal with. Good battery powered ones are also heavy, and the batteries are fussy as well.

My father, with a practical bent, just used a scythe. I still have it. Once you get the swing of it, you can take out several square feet in just a couple of seconds. On top of that, it makes a great prop for Halloween.

Eustace
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 08, 2013 08:12PM
I just got an Echo. Well worth the investment. No real issue with vibration. Echo has a great way of replacing the line. Cut a length, insert it thru the feed holes until it's centered. Then wind the line in. No taking the spool out and wrapping the line, etc. Plus the Echo uses 0.95 to 1.2 line. The 0.95 is what the pro's typically use. I got the line with the square profile as it supposedly lasts longer and cuts better.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 08, 2013 09:12PM
macphanatic
I just got an Echo. Well worth the investment. No real issue with vibration. Echo has a great way of replacing the line. Cut a length, insert it thru the feed holes until it's centered. Then wind the line in. No taking the spool out and wrapping the line, etc. Plus the Echo uses 0.95 to 1.2 line. The 0.95 is what the pro's typically use. I got the line with the square profile as it supposedly lasts longer and cuts better.

Shindaiwa developed that head and Echo got it when they acquired the company. They say it's the absolute
easiest to load head on the market. It's the Speed Feed head:

[www.speedfeedhead.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 09, 2013 12:57AM
Loved my weed eater brand trimmer I got at wally world about 5 years back. Only thing I had to replace was the fuel lines and the bulb after two years. That was an easy fix. Ended up giving it to bro in law after about three years. Bought a MTD from HD or Lowes and I hate the trim head. Looking to get a replacement since I have had the current model for two years, its starting to not start on the first few pulls. Its ok, but the weed eater brand although cheaper worked better. Stick with straight shaft, they are easier on the back.

My neighbor had a corded model (so did my grand father ) and that thing had no power. After about 6 months with it, he gave up and hired a gardener.

I personally don't like going battery powered on yard tools.
Posted by: DRR
Date: July 09, 2013 09:29PM
I will never go back to corded. Too much hassle for me.

I have a lot that's a little under half an acre. I also use the ryobi system for garden tools (18v). Gas is probably overkill for me and probably you as well. I'd reccommend a battery system.

I also use the 18v hedge trimmers. Fine for my 7-10 hedges and shrubs. To do the whole yard I need 2-3 batteries which is not a problem.

The leaf blower they make is very light duty. It's fine for blowing grass clippings off your driveway but you won't be able to blow many leaves from a surface like grass. If you need a serious leaf blower get a gas one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 259
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018