advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.94 ( +5.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Clearwire bought by Sprint. Is that trouble for Freedompop?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 14, 2013 01:38PM
I just heard that Sprint has acquired Clearwire, provider of the 4G Wimax network that Freedompop uses.

Has anybody heard, or have insight on, how this will or will not affect Freedompop's service or even ability to continue operations, in the future?

Edit: Okay, just found this from a December of 2012 article,

"According to FreedomPop CEO Stephen Stokols, however, FreedomPop should be just fine. He says that Sprint plans to keep both its and Clearwire’s WiMax networks running through 2015, offering FreedomPop plenty of time to switch its hardware over to LTE. This was apparently the plan all along, as Stokols says that FreedomPop is currently in “beta” and was planning on moving to LTE once it had proven that the freemium model could work.

If anything, FreedomPop will be in a better place once Clearwire is absorbed into Sprint. Stokols says that the deal “is actually something [FreedomPop has] been counting on,” as it reduces some economic and technological anxieties stemming from Clearwire’s rocky future and having to support both Sprint and Clearwire’s networks."

So, assuming no last minute contractual problems or the like, it sounds like Freedompop should be okay, at least in the short term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2013 01:44PM by Blankity Blank.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Clearwire bought by Sprint. Is that trouble for Freedompop?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 14, 2013 01:42PM
FreedomPop shows they are partnered with SPRINT--but use the Clear4G. More worrisome news might be that SoftBank has bought a majority of SPRINT

[en.wikipedia.org]

FreedomPop's high speed wireless internet service runs on Clearwire's 4G WiMax network. The service will expand to include Sprint's 4G LTE network in 2013.
[www.freedompop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2013 01:44PM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 14, 2013 01:44PM
Freedompop was already transitioning to Sprint.

FreedomPop's high speed wireless internet service runs on Clearwire's 4G WiMax network. The service will expand to include Sprint's 4G LTE network in 2013.

[www.freedompop.com]
Date: July 14, 2013 01:46PM
Thanks.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 14, 2013 04:36PM
GGD
Freedompop was already transitioning to Sprint.

[www.freedompop.com]

and Clearwire has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Sprint for quite some time! [en.wikipedia.org]
One big happy family so to speak thumbsup smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
No son, a time a town or even a country is really lost is when the people who live in it get careless and stop paying attention to how it's being run... - Lucas McCain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2013 04:37PM by MrNoBody.
Date: July 14, 2013 08:28PM
MrNoBody
and Clearwire has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Sprint for quite some time! [en.wikipedia.org]
One big happy family so to speak thumbsup smiley
Apparently not wholly owned. c|net 07/08/13.

"Sprint has jumped through the last hoop in its effort to buy the remaining stake in Clearwire.

On Monday, Clearwire shareholders approved a deal in which Sprint, which owns about 50 percent of the company, would buy the remaining shares of Clearwire for $5 a share. The companies said the deal is expected to close on Tuesday."
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 15, 2013 02:51AM
As noted, Sprint has owned a majority share for a while. And yes, Sprint just finished gobbling up the rest of the Clearwire shares. I'm excited about the whole thing, including the SoftBank purchase of Sprint.

As a Clear Internet customer, I'd love to keep my unlimited home and mobile Internet connection with a slightly faster speed (courtesy of LTE). I used to get 8 down and about 1 up pretty regularly. My mom is using my home modem at her place and she has seen speeds as high as 14 down and 2 up. Not completely awful given the $60/month price for two services.

On the flp side, I wouldn't be surprised to see my service eventually reach EOL. Which would make me sad when the only alternative is Comcast.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 15, 2013 06:52AM
Ken Sp.
FreedomPop shows they are partnered with SPRINT--but use the Clear4G. More worrisome news might be that SoftBank has bought a majority of SPRINT

Seems like good news to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login