advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
5D Mark II Camera Kit. Glass advice.
Posted by: weapon
Date: July 17, 2013 01:22PM
We are getting a Canon 5D Mark II ($2700). Looking to get lenses that will allow us to capture a variety of scenarios from action to Studio product. Can you give me some pros and cons of the lenses and what else you would advise? We will be also shooing video with the camera.

My suggested lenses were:
70-200 f2.8
8-15 f4
50mm 1.2

These are others:
Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Wide Angle ($449 Amazon)
Canon EF 35mm f/2 ($289 Amazon)
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 ($399 Amazon)

Side note: Where can I find the best prices for these out5side of amazon or B&H?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 01:53PM by weapon.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 5D Mark II Camera Kit. Glass advice.
Posted by: Dik2
Date: July 17, 2013 01:37PM
I suggest Service Photo in Baltimore, who might just beat B&H a bit. Put your money into:
5DMkIII
70-200 2.8 IS L II
24-70 2.8 L
16-35 2.8 L
2.8 with today's high ISO capabilities is fast enough.
Bokeh plugin does a good job of faking the look of super fast glass,

If you want to add a super sharp macro for studio product, the Tamron 90 is a steal.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 17, 2013 01:42PM
A 5D II for $2700? I assume you're buying a kit with the 24-105 f/4L. You might consider buying the body only (though no Authorized retailers seem to sell the body only anymore) and the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC.

The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is my favorite lens, and also the only one I own of the ones you've listed.

I assume you're aware the 8-15mm is a fisheye?

Canon lens prices seem pretty consistent, unless you buy used or grey market (from sketchy retailers). Grey market lenses from decent retailers aren't that much of a deal.

The Canon refurb store is also a great place to get deals when they have a 15, 20, 25% off sale, but the good lenses always go fast (and I mean lightening fast). I was really lucky to score my 70-200 from the refurb store when I did. And Canon refurbs now have a 1 year warranty to match new products (used to be 90 days).
Date: July 17, 2013 01:56PM
Yeah it is coming in a kit. I am looking for body only but have not found it yet.

8-15mm is a fisheye. I want to try to add something new stylistically for some of our product/environmental photos.
Posted by: MEG
Date: July 17, 2013 02:01PM
If primes are your thing add the 85mm f1.8 (or 85mm f1.2) to your list. The 70-200 f2.8 IS is my fav lens (though I have the older non- II version).

And do you mean 5D MkIII? $2700 for a Mk II body seems a bit much (I know it's used but thought they are going for <1500 on Craigslist).

Edit - Ahh, kit. I do like the 24-105 also, it's my "everyday lens".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 02:04PM by MEG.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 17, 2013 02:44PM
As a 5D Mark 2 owner you will find it a challenge to keep up with action staying in focus. I would suggest the 5D Mark 3 or 1D Mark 4. This will especially be the case with shallow aperture lenses you wish to shoot with. Your margin for error in tracking is tougher with a 5D2.

A 70-200mm 2.8 IS costs less and performs quite well. Not sure of the Mark 2 version is $500-700 better in the eye of the beholder.

You may save some money over a Canon 50mm 1.2 with a Sigma 50mm 1.4.

Fisheye wide angles are not going to have huge differences between them other than cost. You might want to look into third party brands since autofocus doesn't need to be super fast on those.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 17, 2013 03:55PM
If you're really talking about an obsolete 5D Mark II (2), not a 5D Mark III, then I would suggest a 6D instead. The 6D is also full frame and has improved noise and AF over the 5DII. There are still a couple very specific features which are better on the 5DII, but for most everything the 6D is just a better (and newer) camera.

The 50/1.2 is a nice lens but unless you know exactly why you want an f/1.2 lens, I think your money would be better spent on the f/1.4 or even the el cheapo f/1.8 version.

I have a 24-105L and love it but if you can get the body alone, I think the new 24-70/2.8L II is better, although for the additional expense it better be.

The other possible problem I see with your selection of lenses is you don't have a rectilinear wide angle (wider than 24mm).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 03:56PM by AllGold.
Date: July 17, 2013 06:26PM
Good point about the rectilinear wide angle. What would you suggest?

Trying to build a nice quiver of glass for all occasions.

Also contemplating the step up to body only mark III.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 17, 2013 07:55PM
I'm not really up on the 3rd party lenses (Tamron, Tokina, Sigma) as I mostly stick to Canon so I'll let others make suggestions there.

The Canon 16-35/2.8L II is a good option but the much less expensive 17-40/4L is almost as good. The 17-40 isn't quite as sharp in the corners on a full frame sensor. If you're using a crop sensor (which the 5D is not) I don't think you'd notice any difference--other than the obvious 1-stop difference in maximum aperture and slightly different focal length.

Posted by: DRR
Date: July 17, 2013 09:55PM
I think you need to give more specifics than "from action to studio" to get any sort of meaningful recommendation.

I can however recommend against a fisheye for product photography.
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 17, 2013 11:01PM
I've got the 24-105L, plus a couple others. I use it for my walk-around lens. I've been very happy with it. I thought about the 24-70, which they say is a little sharper, but I went for the extra versatility. I think its plenty sharp, and works great especially with a body that'll shoot cleanly in the higher ISO ranges.

You might consider the macro EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM for $600 (not sure if its compatible with your body, but someone here will probably know) , the L version if you can blow the extra moola. It's a lot of fun shooting tiny things and it doubles nicely as a portrait lens.

My favorite lens is my 100-400mm L. I use it mostly for birds and wildlife but I've captured some nice candid shots from a distance that I like. It's gone up quite a bit in price since I got mine (for under $1200). I've used it a lot and its held up great in the field.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 11:04PM by Wags.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020