advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Firewire 800 ports or drives not working — ideas?
Posted by: dmag
Date: August 08, 2013 01:08AM
Hi,

The evil forces are after me.

1. I'm seeing a world globe flash at startup, which Apple support said could be a dad drive coming on.

2. My backup drives now can't be seen. There are two of them, both with Firewire 800 connections — and today, neither light up when plugged into the 800 ports.

I've swapped wires and still nothing.

I'm grabbing a new external drive tonight and doing an emergency backup, just in case, but do you think it could be an issue with the FW 800 port not powering them?

I can't imagine both drives going down at the same time.

Would this be fixed with just a simple power reset or is it more than that?

BTW, the USB ports are fine.

Fishing for ideas here. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 01:10AM by dmag.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Firewire 800 ports or drives not working — ideas?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 08, 2013 01:53AM
I would suggesting attaching one drive at a time and using a new firewire cable. If both drives work then try swapping around the cables to find a potential bad cable. Those two factors should allow you to determine if a single drive is bad or if a cable is bad.

If nothing works try a thunderbolt to firewire adapter (cheap). If it works that way but not via the normal firewire cable then you know you have a port issue. My money is on a bad cable but I will be watching to see what you determine.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 08, 2013 03:02AM
What mac? Any storms in the last [whatever period of time this problem has existed]?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: August 08, 2013 04:02AM
Black
What mac? Any storms in the last [whatever period of time this problem has existed]?

Macbook Pro.

No, no storms.

I was outside the U.S. for a few days and that's when it started.

As a matter of fact, the power adapter died (it was going for a while) and I had it replaced. All went smoothly. The tech went into the repair section and ran his diagnostics...then, when I got back to the hotel, I saw the flashing globe for the first time.

Hmmm...I just remembered that little tidbit.

Wonder if he did anything that might have triggered a problem, or if it's just coincidental.

Thanks.
Date: August 08, 2013 04:04AM
davemchine
I would suggesting attaching one drive at a time and using a new firewire cable. If both drives work then try swapping around the cables to find a potential bad cable. Those two factors should allow you to determine if a single drive is bad or if a cable is bad.

If nothing works try a thunderbolt to firewire adapter (cheap). If it works that way but not via the normal firewire cable then you know you have a port issue. My money is on a bad cable but I will be watching to see what you determine.

As soon as I get the backup done, I'll start playing with the cords and see how it turns out. Thanks.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 08, 2013 06:44AM
1. I'm seeing a world globe flash at startup
2. My backup drives now can't be seen.

Disconnect the drives from the MBP.

Reboot.

Zap PRAM three times. (Hold down Command+Option+P+R until you hear 4 chimes.)

After reboot, make sure to select your boot drive in the Startup Disk options in the System Pref's.

Then try reconnecting your external HDs.

the power adapter died

'Could have caused surges or brownouts before it went, which could have damaged your HD and messed up your FW ports.

Make sure to verify each of your drives with the Disk Utility and run SMART Utility to get the self-reporting hardware-status of your boot drive.
[www.volitans-software.com]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 08, 2013 08:51AM
I had a lightning strike in my neighbor's backyard last week; one of the results was that the FW800 and Ethernet ports on my MacBook Pro are no longer functioning. Apple Store confirmed; only fix for me is a board replacement, which will have to wait until I get a new MBP (eventually, when Haswell MBPs make it out); then I'll get it fixed. (Can't do w/o my work Mac for any length of time).

The surge was likely in the cable line, which fried the cable modem, passed through my brand-new Airport Extreme, and hit my MBP via attached ethernet cable (dangit). But who knows.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 08, 2013 09:10AM
The world globe startup- isn't that the Mac trying to net boot?

In addition to disconnecting the drives, if you haven't done so already, I'd try leaving the the Mac off for awhile. Maybe a power reset.

I'm just WAGing here as when my MDD would on rare occasion drop its FW ports, disconnecting the drives and turning it off for ten minutes got the ports back.

Again, this all may be way off base, but I doubt it will hurt anything.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018