advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any problem mixing backups on Time Machine external?
Posted by: dmag
Date: August 08, 2013 06:45PM
Hi,

Since I'm still having issues with my Firewire 800 backups, I'm looking at putting them into USB enclosures and copying the contents over to a new 2TB USB external just purchased.

The FW hub isn't working (yeah, could be the cables or drives, but those are longshots) but the USB is.

I just did a Time Machine backup on that external overnight and, of course, it did hourly backups which filled the drive. Question..can I combine the two?

Would it be okay to delete the three earliest TM backups to make room for what's on the other drives (about 750gb)? Or would that mess with Time Machine in some way?

Sorry if that seems to be a strange question, but I've never played with TM before and don't want to have to do an initial backup scan over again...so I'm asking.

Thanks for any help.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any problem mixing backups on Time Machine external?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 08, 2013 07:07PM
Question..can I combine the two?

A single TM drive can be used for multiple Macs. TM will keep track of each machine. But I don't know if multiple Macs is what you mean here.

Would it be okay to delete the three earliest TM backups

It will be OK if you use the Time Machine's interface. It will end in despair if you try to delete a TM backup via the Finder.
Re: Any problem mixing backups on Time Machine external?
Posted by: dmag
Date: August 08, 2013 07:51PM
deckeda
Question..can I combine the two?

It will be OK if you use the Time Machine's interface. It will end in despair if you try to delete a TM backup via the Finder.

Thanks. I got Apple support on the line and we couldn't delete any of the backups through the TM interface. Thus, the next step would be to erase and partition the 2TB drive, making one for TM and one for the data I need to transfer from the other drives.

Then, yank the drives out of the FW enclosure, put them into USB enclosures, and copy them over.

I appreciate the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018