advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[bikes] 15-ish year old bike tube holds air. Continue to use or replace?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 10, 2013 09:55AM
"Continue" might not be the right word; the bike hasn't been used in over a decade except for one trip around the block. So the tube has been largely deflated. But it seems happy to hold 70-80psi, max is 85psi for this 26x1.4 tube/tire.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [bikes] 15-ish year old bike tube holds air. Continue to use or replace?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 10, 2013 10:01AM
Bonus question:

The clear plastic disc between the cassette and hub has one broken attachment nub and so the disc flops around.

Cut it out and live with some extra grease and dirt collecting on the spokes and hub, or deal with the noise of if flopping around?
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: August 10, 2013 10:26AM
Replace the tube, it will fail in a non-repairable way the farthest from your start point.
I think a bonus feature of the plastic disk is to reduce chain/spoke interference, mostly with old non-indexed shifters. I can see where the chain and spokes meeting could be a bad thing.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2013 10:30AM
you can snap off the dork disc. its not needed if your bike stays reasonably well adjusted.

you can ride that tube as long as you bring a spare with you. (and can replace it in the field)

Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 10, 2013 11:03AM
I have a normal thickness tube on the front wheel of my commuter bike, and an extra thick one on the rear wheel. They're both a couple of years old at most.

The front tube loses air much more quickly than the rear wheel.

I pump them up to 55 lbs/in^2.

If after a given amount of time the rear wheel has lost 5 pounds of pressure, the front wheel will have lost 10-15 pounds of pressure.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 10, 2013 11:25AM
freeradical
I have a normal thickness tube on the front wheel of my commuter bike, and an extra thick one on the rear wheel. They're both a couple of years old at most.

If after a given amount of time the rear wheel has lost 5 pounds of pressure, the front wheel will have lost 10-15 pounds of pressure.

Same tires? I've found a lot of variation over the years in how well tires of different designs/materials hold air.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: August 10, 2013 11:25AM
mattkime
you can snap off the dork disc. its not needed if your bike stays reasonably well adjusted.

you can ride that tube as long as you bring a spare with you. (and can replace it in the field)

agree smiley

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 10, 2013 01:08PM
As matt said, ride as long as you have a spare. I've got 15 year old tubes on my bike, and they still work... though the bike has been ridden every year.

deckeda
The clear plastic disc between the cassette and hub has one broken attachment nub and so the disc flops around.

Cut it out and live with some extra grease and dirt collecting on the spokes and hub, or deal with the noise of if flopping around?

There shouldn't be any grease back there. If the pie plate is collecting grease and dirt, you've got other issues. The reason for that thing is that in case the chain slips off the top gear and into the spokes, it doesn't mess up the spokes. As matt said, if your bike is reasonably well adjusted, it's not an issue. That would mean your hub isn't lose, the cassette isn't lose and your derailleurs are adjusted properly.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 10, 2013 05:57PM
Black
freeradical

Same tires? I've found a lot of variation over the years in how well tires of different designs/materials hold air.

Yeah, they're both the same kevlar tire.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 11, 2013 09:27PM
I have my sister's old bike from 1965. Original tires and tubes. It requires air a couple of times a season.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018