advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Small hot tub
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 10, 2013 06:08PM
Every winter I swear I'm going to buy a hot tub. I get so cold in the winter and this is a great way to warm-up. I think it is good for my back also. So Costco has a tub that seems reasonably priced. It is also physically small which would suit my very small backyard. I'd like to get opinions from hot tub owners. I have no idea if this is a good brand or not. Perhaps there are better alternatives? Thanks for any help.
[t.costco.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 06:08PM by davemchine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Small hot tub
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: August 10, 2013 06:53PM
Stewart Brand wrote a how-to article on building a personal hot tub out of marine plywood. It was probably in an old issue of "The Co-Evolution Quarterly" or "The Whole Earth Review".

If I was thinking of a one- or two-person hot tub, I would consider using his design. IIRC, build the floor large enough to sit with legs stretched out in front. Build the ends with slopes so two bathers could lean back facing each other, and make it deep enough to submerge the shoulders.

Todd's homemade keyboard
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 10, 2013 07:49PM
When I redid my bathrooms, I had a American Standard Whirlpool tub installed. One of the best things I did although, I wouldn't go with or recommend American Standard now. I had been considering a Thermospa but, they had more than a few dissatisfied customers with many complaints of leaks. Since I was going to be installing indoors, reports of leaks disqualified Thermospa immediately. When I'm home, the whirlpool gets used three or four times a week. Its amazing how just relaxing in hot water can revive and restore you! With a whirlpool, it gets filled with fresh water each time I use it so, I don't have to be concerned with water testing / treating. Google the brand and company you're considering. If Amazon sell that brand, check the reviews. I know Costco is good about backing the products they sell. This is a major purchase though; one you should get many years of use out of so, serious due diligence is in order.

Before you bring a unit home, make sure you'll be ready for it. Will you need a concrete pad? Does it just plug into a 15Amp circuit or, will you need an electrician to run a new heavy duty service? Security; how will you protect it from the neighbors and neighborhood kids? How will the water be heated (and maintained at a useful temperature)? Have you spoken with your insurance agent?

Good luck. Once you get your spa, USE IT! I'm amazed at how many people pay to have a spa installed and then, don't make the time (15 ~ 60 minutes) to use and enjoy it. Keep us posted!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 10, 2013 07:54PM
I've actually been looking at these:

[www.lifesmartproducts.com]

[www.samsclub.com]

or as much as I despise WalMart or SamsClub for that matter, this one:

[www.walmart.com]

which I believe is this one:
[www.lifesmartproducts.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 10, 2013 08:03PM
I agree with testcase.

I've done a fair amount of traveling over the past year and there's nothing like 30 minutes in a whirlpool
when you have a bad back and leg. Where ever we travel to I make sure there's either a whirlpool in the
room or an outdoor hot tub.

Grateful11
Posted by: jims
Date: August 10, 2013 08:33PM
I have had a hot tub since 1986. We went with a Hot Springs brand by Watkins. They also make a cheaper one branded as tiger river. I would recommend not buying one of the cheap discount store or lumber yard spas. I have a friend who bought one at Lowes and has had problems getting repairs. We use it almost every day, winter or summer. Don't think we could do without it as we both have back or joint problems.

jims
Posted by: abevilac
Date: August 10, 2013 11:50PM
I too have a hot springs spa for the past 12 yrs and its only had one part breakdown over its life. I don't know about other brands but hot springs was my builders rec, so we went with it. Small is not a problem - it's cheaper to run. My husband no longer likes to soak anyway.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 11, 2013 01:05AM
Wait a second. You're not going to let the attractive large-breasted women in the front door but you're going to get a hot tub. There's something here that doesn't add up! Paul F will surely second this opinion.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 11, 2013 02:48AM
agree smiley
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 11, 2013 02:53AM
Hot tub time machine here I come.
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 11, 2013 03:11AM
You have cheap electrical rates so this won't be too expensive to operate. Otherwise I'd recommend a gas heater ... faster and less expensive to heat that amount of water.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 11, 2013 04:29AM
Don't overlook Craigslist - especially if you are in a retirement area. There are some really good deals on used tubs since they do not hold value at all.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 11, 2013 07:11AM
Ombligo
Don't overlook Craigslist

Yea, we gave our hot tub away for free on Craigslist. Of course, it hadn't been used in years and it was a you haul it deal.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: August 11, 2013 08:51AM
Whatever you buy, get one with good insulation and an insulated cover. There was a hot tub set in the floor of a spa room in our current home when we moved here in 1999. It had no insulation and no cover so needless to say we only heated it when we wanted to use it. Unfortunately it took several hours to heat so it saw little use.

After a while we bought a "real" hot tub, a Jacuzzi J-355 350 gallon, 7 foot square one. And what a nice one it is. The hot tub room is located on a deck off the master bedroom overlooking the Guadalupe River valley and above our pool two deck levels below. Since it would weigh 3500 pounds or so, I had to build a platform to support it. Due to the trees and rugged terrain the hot tub had to be brought through the house, out onto the deck, and then into the hot tub room. Empty, it weighs 800 or so pounds so it was a major effort for the delivery crew. Here are some shots of the preparation and the final result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2013 09:23AM by mjgkramer.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 11, 2013 10:14AM
We also owned a Hot Springs for 10+ years in our old house. It was quite reliable given frequent use.

The Costco one suggested by the original poster is manufactured by Watkins, which makes Hot Springs tubs. A lot of the components look identical to Hot Springs current models.

This model looks pretty attractive and may just fit in a small protected deck space at our newer house. Hmmm...Mrs Markintosh caught me looking at this post. There goes my summer job paycheck....

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: August 11, 2013 10:46PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018