advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RYF!! Georgia Tech Masters Comp Sci degree for $6600. Save $38,400!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 21, 2013 11:36AM
It's a MOOC (massive open online course) and apparently the first online credited degree offered by a major institution.

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RYF!! Georgia Tech Masters Comp Sci degree for $6600. Save $38,400!
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 21, 2013 12:09PM
Great deal. It's hard for me to believe it's $45,000 for a Georgia resident though.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 21, 2013 12:10PM
so you can now....SCI Another Day.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 21, 2013 12:55PM
vision63
Great deal. It's hard for me to believe it's $45,000 for a Georgia resident though.

If you have the grades, and graduated from a Georgia high school, HOPE will pay for a good chunk of the tuition. HOPE isn't as good as it used to be, but it still pays for a lot.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 21, 2013 12:59PM
rgG
vision63

If you have the grades, and graduated from a Georgia high school, HOPE will pay for a good chunk of the tuition. HOPE isn't as good as it used to be, but it still pays for a lot.

That's good to know. Those 5 years of college were some of the greatest days of my life.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 21, 2013 03:40PM
vision63

yes, a two year graduate program including living expenses would cost a state resident that much, at least.
However by not including living expenses with the cost of the online program they're not really comparing apples and apples. The online tuition is only a tad less than the cost of on-campus tuition, I'm surprised it's as high as it is, actually. What a potential cash cow for schools if this works out.

These are annual estimates for undergrads, tuition is higher for grad programs.

[www.finaid.gatech.edu]
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 21, 2013 04:01PM
So, this is a graduate program, well then, HOPE would not operate as it is only for undergraduate degrees. I didn't read the link, or apparently the thread heading very well, before posting, sorry.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 04:02PM by rgG.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 21, 2013 05:30PM
Could be the first balance and popping of the college bubble.

I'm sending my son off to a Big Ten college, paying at least five times the cost I paid.

And I arguably received a better product with lower student to teacher ratios than 2013 colleges.

Five times more, lower value - definition of an economic bubble.

The only great thing is that he truly understands and took as many AP lasses as he could in high school and is starting as a mid-sophomore.

I expect to have to support him for some kind of grad school, but he's really hoping to be done in three years with his bachelors.

By then, there could be a ton of under $10k masters programs from top school for him to pursue.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 21, 2013 08:58PM
My wife's grad school was 100% paid because shw was a TA. She also received a substantial untaxed 'stipend'.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 22, 2013 01:16PM
sekker
Could be the first balance and popping of the college bubble.

I'm sending my son off to a Big Ten college, paying at least five times the cost I paid.

And I arguably received a better product with lower student to teacher ratios than 2013 colleges.

Five times more, lower value - definition of an economic bubble.

The only great thing is that he truly understands and took as many AP lasses as he could in high school and is starting as a mid-sophomore.

I expect to have to support him for some kind of grad school, but he's really hoping to be done in three years with his bachelors.

By then, there could be a ton of under $10k masters programs from top school for him to pursue.

That's wonderful about your son going to college sekker. Congratulations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020