advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how do I transfer data from a 3GS & a touch to a 4S?
Posted by: mlfrank
Date: August 25, 2013 06:58PM
Combining gizmos here - I would like to pour a 16gig iphone 3GS and a 32gig touch into a 64gig iphone 4S. True, most of the room on the two is taken up by mp3s which is a no-brainer for moving, but there are notes & a few other info programs that have data I would rather not have to retype.

Any suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how do I transfer data from a 3GS & a touch to a 4S?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 25, 2013 07:18PM
Have all 3 synced to the same iTunes library. Then pick and choose what you want put on each.

If they have been synced with different libraries you'll need to first transfer content from the one iTunes library to the new "master" library that will eventually fill the 4S.
Posted by: MEG
Date: August 25, 2013 11:24PM
You'll need another program to copy the app's data from a third device to the new one. First make a backup of each (the 3GS and the touch) using iTunes. When you get the new 4S, use one of the backups (say the 32GB touch) as the source to restore it from. Install any additional apps you want on the 4S (any apps from the 3GS that aren't on the touch). Then use an app like iExplorer or PhoneView to connect to the 4S. You'll then have to copy the data files from the backup of the third device stored on your computer (e.g., from the 3GS) to the proper location on the 4S. Voila!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 26, 2013 05:58AM
MEG
...Then use an app like iExplorer or PhoneView to connect to the 4S. You'll then have to copy the data files from the backup of the third device stored on your computer (e.g., from the 3GS) to the proper location on the 4S. Voila!

Why is this last step needed? In case there's data from BOTH the 3GS and touch he wants?
Posted by: MEG
Date: August 26, 2013 07:38AM
deckeda
MEG
...Then use an app like iExplorer or PhoneView to connect to the 4S. You'll then have to copy the data files from the backup of the third device stored on your computer (e.g., from the 3GS) to the proper location on the 4S. Voila!

Why is this last step needed? In case there's data from BOTH the 3GS and touch he wants?

Yup. When I saw the part about not wanting to retype info that that was the case.
Posted by: mlfrank
Date: August 27, 2013 07:33PM
update:
No problem transferring the 3GS - iTunes did it automatically. Now to play with the different ideas on moving the touch's info.......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020