advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Feeling old
Posted by: yeoman
Date: August 25, 2013 07:07PM
So I'm watching TV and up comes this ad for mens' suits. The young skinny male model has stubble on face and head, no tie and mismatched colors. Jeez, feeling old.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 07:28PM by yeoman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Feeling old
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 25, 2013 07:18PM
Yeh, tell me about it. I see some outfits (female) I would love to wear but too old and would be ridiculous. At times I would like to be younger but most of the time I'm quite happy with my semi conservative dressing. I don't dress like an 81 yr old. That I refuse to do since I don't look like a granny
Posted by: yeoman
Date: August 25, 2013 07:19PM
So what did you wear in PNG? And did you use that spray to ward off those pesky mossies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 07:21PM by yeoman.
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: August 25, 2013 07:25PM
"You're only as old as the women you feel."- Marx

Eustace
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 25, 2013 07:40PM
eustacetilley

Eustace

What sage smarties we have on this forum!smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 25, 2013 07:41PM
The stubble look has been around since the 1980's, when it used to be the signature of 'Eurotrash'.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 25, 2013 07:50PM
Steve G.
The stubble look has been around since the 1980's, when it used to be the signature of 'Eurotrash'.

…and, apparently, Miami cops:

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 25, 2013 08:21PM
eustacetilley

Eustace

That would be Groucho. Karl never said anything so profound.

Modern variant:

"You're as Young as the Woman You Feel" — Billy Joe Shaver
[www.allmusic.com]

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 25, 2013 08:26PM
In my youth, the TV commercials called for men to be very well shaven or the beautiful young lassies would not like it when she stroked your face. I asked my dad once how you got the beautiful young lassie to stroke your face in the first place. He did not know the answer to that. (I did NOT ask when mother was around!)

Repeat story on CBS Sunday Morning today told of a class at Notre Dame called "A nation of slobs" in which the professor talks about the loss of dressing up in our culture.
[www.cbsnews.com]
Date: August 25, 2013 08:41PM
mrlynn
eustacetilley

Eustace

That would be Groucho. Karl never said anything so profound.

/Mr Lynn

Yes, you got it. When once asked a politically loaded question, Godard famously quipped:
"Je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho."

Eustace
Posted by: digby
Date: August 25, 2013 08:45PM
Wait, so some prof gets to rail about how "dadburn kids these days don't even own a decent pair of wing tips!" ... and gets PAID to do that?

Hey, fellow Olde Fartes! Fashions change, values change. Get over it!

Just because back when I was younger (the 50s) the kids with t-shirts and sneakers were the "JD's" (Juvenile Delinquents), doesn't mean everyone wearing a T and Chucks is a "lowlife".
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 25, 2013 09:31PM
A quote from the Notre Dame article:

Jared Clemmensen said dressing sloppily is an intentional "I don't care" statement. "I see people in the dining hall, and they're wearing pajama bottoms. I'm like, 'Are you really wearing those? Like, are you trying to make a statement?'

"The worst," added Terhaar, "is when they have makeup on. 'Oh, you put makeup on, but you couldn't change out of your pajamas?' Yeah, I don't believe you."

This hypocrisy is evident in the unshaven look, too. It takes work to maintain a perpetual three-day stubble, which makes the "I'm too macho to care about my appearance" guys look like complete idiots to me.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 25, 2013 10:30PM
Even John T. Molloy updated the bible on how to dress for success...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 26, 2013 01:41AM
Don C
Repeat story on CBS Sunday Morning today told of a class at Notre Dame called "A nation of slobs" in which the professor talks about the loss of dressing up in our culture.
[www.cbsnews.com]

Good. "Come as you are" works for me.
Date: August 26, 2013 01:42AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
This hypocrisy is evident in the unshaven look, too. It takes work to maintain a perpetual three-day stubble, which makes the "I'm too macho to care about my appearance" guys look like complete idiots to me.

It does? Wouldn't an electric shaver for about thirty seconds works to trim down the thicker scruff, but still retain enough hair to be fair from a full shave?

I think men with ties and dress shirts on 90 degree days with high humidity look like people not important enough to set their own reasonable dress code, but that's just me. Dress codes are for safety and practicality. Wear what makes you happy, you know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 02:15AM by silvarios.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 26, 2013 01:48AM
One of the real advantages to getting out of the "rat race" is the realization that there is no one left to please. The artifice falls away so you can revert to your basic nature.

Assuming you aren't a politician, this is a good thing.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 26, 2013 05:12AM
While I don't dress to the nines with coat and tie everyday, I also refuse to wear jeans or a collarless shirt to school (work) even on casual days. I had one day where we were told to wear a special t-shirt and hated it.

I believe that a decent wardrobe helps send a message that I care and also models a professional appearance to students.

Personally I wish the politicos would institute a standard dress code for students and faculty. Simple khaki's and a polo would be fine (maybe dress and shorts as alternatives) - teachers one color polo, students another. I spend way too much time policing dress code violations. Workplaces across the land have some type of dress code, many have uniforms. Time to get the kiddies to understand that they can't always express themselves.

But then I recall when flying was a coat and tie affair instead of slum day.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: DP
Date: August 26, 2013 07:58AM
I was going to mention Miami Vice... But what goes around, comes around! This is me in 4th grade (I think) and look at the shirt and hair style-just like the styles the 20-something models wear today... Way ahead of my time!

Posted by: decay
Date: August 26, 2013 08:12AM
when I see someone in a suit, I go on "high bullsh*t alert."

---
Date: August 26, 2013 10:37AM
decay
when I see someone in a suit, I go on "high bullsh*t alert."

This, very much this.

My father wore bespoke suits. By bespoke, I mean the whole tradition- the measurements taken at home, the long discussions about fabric and care, and then the long wait before the boxes arrived, once cleared through customs.
Those boxes... they not only had the suits, they also had ties, and handkerchiefs, and one little box always contained a cultured selection of cufflinks and tie clips.
My father went through this ceremony roughly every two years, for more than three decades. He could bullsh*t with the best of the bullsh*ters, and yet, they never caught on to what he really thought of them. He made quite the figure in Admiralty court, with his suits, and his meticulous notes and references.

When he retired, all those suits went to St. Anthony's. After decades of kidding me about my hair, and my beard, and my careless style of dress, he grew his hair out, and sported quite the fastidious goatee, and he took to wearing the most atrocious clothing; his favorite outfit to wear when going sailing with me was a faded pink and gray tracksuit.
My father taught me, through example, that clothes make the man. Especially when those judging the man are themselves so thoroughly superficial and ignorant.

Eustace
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 26, 2013 12:12PM
There is a point and a purpose to a uniform. Uniformity can be beneficial. Police officers, utility workers, restaurant workers etc. It helps when the guy at your door is wearing a representative uniform.

In my opinion, in today's society, as opposed to previous eras, a suit is worn by someone attempting to manipulate the public into believing in what they're presenting whether it is real or make believe.
Date: August 26, 2013 12:30PM
Ombligo
Personally I wish the politicos would institute a standard dress code for students and faculty. Simple khaki's and a polo would be fine (maybe dress and shorts as alternatives) - teachers one color polo, students another. I spend way too much time policing dress code violations. Workplaces across the land have some type of dress code, many have uniforms. Time to get the kiddies to understand that they can't always express themselves.

Okay, that meets your needs, so you should where what makes you feel comfortable.

I'm against dress codes in general. Of course, safety is paramount, so dress codes related to safety go without saying. I also understand practicality. All Target team members wearing a name tag and red shirt is really helpful when I want to identify an employee of Target.

Otherwise, who cares what people wear? When did we all morph into the NFL? You know, the league where unsafe hits are often the same monetary fine as dress code violations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 12:34PM by silvarios.
Date: August 26, 2013 12:33PM
vision63
There is a point and a purpose to a uniform. Uniformity can be beneficial. Police officers, utility workers, restaurant workers etc. It helps when the guy at your door is wearing a representative uniform.

I feel that. Uniforms are for safety or practicality, not for "imposing the will of management over the peons".
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 26, 2013 02:04PM
Looking old, yeoman! old fogey smileysmiley12 In case it's not obvious, I'm reverse channeling the movie Trading Places.

As for stubble, I was amazed when I first saw something like this in a store: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 26, 2013 03:47PM
In case you haven't noticed how clownish the entire crowd is, try this: The New Yorker Goofs on Brooklyn Hipsters

I've been building a list of the nicks for a while. Top ones include:
Flatbush Ave Five-Day
Bushwick Brushworks
Park Slope Stubble
Fort Greene Follicle Farm
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 26, 2013 03:53PM
I wear whatever my wife tells me to. Includes my beard.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020