advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's the quickest way to put a (perfectly legitimate home-made vacation) movie on someone else's iPad's HD?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: September 03, 2013 07:16PM
On Labor day weekend my wife and I went with my 81-year-old father in law and mother-in-law on a trip to the Olympic Peninsula. We took video footage and snapshots. I edited them into a little travelogue video, uploaded to YouTube. They love it.

Besides being able to view it on YouTube, with their friends back home in Japan, my father-in-law also wants a copy of the movie on his iPad. Physically on the iPad. It's only 75mb. They're talking about things like, burn it to a DVD, then (a list of too many steps and bad ideas, understandable, and natural that he'd simply want the movie ON his iPad. Not network-dependent.

You'd think this should be easy. Dropbox won't do it. (it lets you view the video via its stored location on the internet) Anything I've tried is involves a network.

What's the best, low-hassle way to do this?

Can I just plug it into my computer, set iTunes to manage music and video manually, and simply add the video to his library?

Or is there some other unofficial shortcut I'm not remembering?

I know it must be possible to do this, I just can't immediately think of it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's the quickest way to put a (perfectly legitimate home-made vacation) movie on someone else's iPad's HD?
Posted by: clay
Date: September 03, 2013 07:21PM
yes, you can drop it into itunes and make sure the video is selected for sync. It will need to be in the right format in order to play on the iPad.

dropbox app also works....just mark the video as a "favorite" in the ipad app and it will be available even without a network connection via the app.

there are a bunch of other ways to do this as well, and I'm sure others will chime in.
Re: What's the quickest way to put a (perfectly legitimate home-made vacation) movie on someone else's iPad's HD?
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 03, 2013 07:27PM
Dropbox all the way so long as the file is under 2GB.
Date: September 03, 2013 07:38PM
I think I'll try the iTunes solution. The video is in the right format. I wondered if that would work.

I'm remembering Apple's "paired" thing, from earlier in the iPod era, and how messy things get. Most of it due to policies that were instituted to discourage (or at least not promote) ease-of-content-transfer, content-duplication, an invitation to motion picture or music piracy. Otherwise, this should be a lot easier.

Or, perhaps it is easy, and I'm just out of practice.

The host iPad -- my father-in-law's iPad -- won't have Dropbox installed on it. So we have to rule that out. Or any U.S. software, or any special addition to facilitate the transfer. The solution can't depend on him having a software app or anything not already on the iPad. It's a unique situation, him and his iPad being thoroughly Japanese.

It's funny little barrier. My involvement, to make this transfer happen, requires that I temporarily change the OS/language from Japanese to U.S. English. Then change it back again when the mission is complete.

He uses the iPad as a YouTube and photo viewing device. And reads a little news on the web. Doesn't use email, or any other apps, really. At 81, I'm impressed he uses it at all. He loves it. But he's never personally been required to manage anything on it, his daughter in Japan does that (software updates, WiFi passwords, etc.) and when he's staying with us in the U.S., we do a few things. No access to iTunes Japan while he's geo-located here. So we strive to keep things as simples as possible.

He wants to have the video physically on the iPad, in case he wants to show friends when he gets home and an internet connection is unavailable or inconvenient.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 03, 2013 07:44PM
The new VLC app puts a web admin tool on the iPad. You access it from your Mac and upload the file and watch it in VLC.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: September 03, 2013 07:58PM
ztirffritz
The new VLC app puts a web admin tool on the iPad. You access it from your Mac and upload the file and watch it in VLC.

We're talking about my father-in-law's Japanese iPad. He's 81 years old. Admin tool? VLC?

We're not able to--nor do we want to--download a software app, or admin tool, or any viewing solution, that guys like you and me would easily want to do. This has to be native Apple, native iPad. This has to be viewable directly in native-Apple iPad's main menu, in the video library.

If it were me, and my iPad? i'd be open to all kinds of things that involve software.

As it is, we're not looking for a special tool to view the video. I'm only interested in putting it permanently in his iPad's library.

He just needs it on his hard drive (he won't know what a 'hard drive' is, much less "VLC" or "Dropbox") he needs it appear on his magical iPad screen when he's not on a network, viewable in the the most conventional way.
Date: September 03, 2013 08:29PM
clay
yes, you can drop it into itunes and make sure the video is selected for sync. It will need to be in the right format in order to play on the iPad.

dropbox app also works....just mark the video as a "favorite" in the ipad app and it will be available even without a network connection via the app.

there are a bunch of other ways to do this as well, and I'm sure others will chime in.

It won't expect to be paired with my computer? I'm hoping that I can select manually manage music and videos, and no official partnership is required.

When my wife (who can read Japanese, and can operate the systems preferences control panel for the moment it takes to flip the language temporarily ) gets home, I'll have her bring his iPad to my mac.

If this works, I'll be happy, and can add more content to his iPad.

A few other videos, for example. I'm fairly sure he has plenty of storage space, since he mainly uses it for watching YouTube. If he has some things in storage, too, it'll enhance his iPad experience. Though, he can't read English, so that limits what I can add, and how it'll look once in his library. I have at least one or two Japanese movies, he can ignore the subtitles, and enjoy them in Japanese.
Date: September 03, 2013 09:14PM
If this works, I'll be happy, and can add more content to his iPad.

Yeah, it totally works. I had an outdated idea about Apple's barriers.

Once I got his iPad in English, I just synced that one movie. Easy peasy.

Should I load him up with some pr0n?
Posted by: MEG
Date: September 04, 2013 08:28AM
There's also bump

[bu.mp]
Date: September 04, 2013 11:06AM
bump would involve downloading software onto my computer, and his iPad. His iPad isn't authorized to access U.S. app store, it's geo-fenced to Japan. Downloading and installing an app is not an option. In case I didn't mention it, it's not an option. Did I mention, downloading and installing an app is not an option? Perhaps not. Note: downloading and installing an app is not an option. Why do I even try to explain LOL-- I give up. No one reads the actual content, just the headline.

Anyway, the problem already solved.

I transferred it via usb cable directly from my Mac's iTunes Library to his iPad's movie Library. Worked like a charm. I had assumed Apple didn't make it that easy. In ten seconds, it was transferred.

This will be useful when we want to load him up with more of our vacation movies.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 04, 2013 07:20PM
Bump is an iOS app that you put on two iOS devices, and when you're on the same WiFi network, you 'bump' them together to share files.

---
Posted by: MEG
Date: September 04, 2013 11:33PM
Since you were looking for apps that you can download... grinning smiley

Sorry, missed that part buried in the 4th paragraph of the 4th posting of the thread. tongue sticking out smiley

But for the record (and for those that are able to install an app on you device), Bump does transfer files between a computer and your iPhone/iPad too (I use it for that all the time). You do not need an app for computer (you just go to the website). You do have to install an app on the device.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020