advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ebay has changed my listings to make me accept Int'l sales (without telling me) - argh!! Is this happening to you too?
Posted by: hal
Date: September 05, 2013 01:45PM
Here is a previous conversation about ebay unsticking settings that used to be set as default once you made an initial selection.
[forums.macresource.com]

I found that my setting to repel international buyers ("Have a primary address in countries that I don't ship to") was not being saved and had to be initiated with every listing

Today, I wake up to see that I sold a hard drive to some one with an Aussie ebay account, but the shipping goes to an ebay reshipping facility in KY, USA.

I wondered how that slipped through so I checked the setting on that listing. The prohibition against int'l buyers wasn't checked. Odd... so I checked other listings and found that EVERY ONE of my current 23 listings had the same settings. Somehow the settings that I checked when I listed the items had changed.

I'm gonna call later and see if I can get some answers (won't really expect any, but I have to try.) And I'll check tomorrow and see if they've been rest again.

So check your current listings and see if any of yours have changed.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ebay has changed my listings to make me accept Int'l sales (without telling me) - argh!! Is this happening to you too?
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 05, 2013 01:54PM
And here in the UK they have brought in final value fees that include the shipping costs. I sell a lot abroad and now those higher shipping costs have just risen 10%.

Paul

Re: Ebay has changed my listings to make me accept Int'l sales (without telling me) - argh!! Is this happening to you too?
Date: September 05, 2013 02:04PM
They did that here too a while back. Not that big of a deal for US sellers selling within the US, but I can certainly see that as a problem for you...
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 05, 2013 02:09PM
hal
Here is a previous conversation about ebay unsticking settings that used to be set as default once you made an initial selection.
[forums.macresource.com]

I found that my setting to repel international buyers ("Have a primary address in countries that I don't ship to") was not being saved and had to be initiated with every listing

Today, I wake up to see that I sold a hard drive to some one with an Aussie ebay account, but the shipping goes to an ebay reshipping facility in KY, USA.

I wondered how that slipped through so I checked the setting on that listing. The prohibition against int'l buyers wasn't checked. Odd... so I checked other listings and found that EVERY ONE of my current 23 listings had the same settings. Somehow the settings that I checked when I listed the items had changed.

I'm gonna call later and see if I can get some answers (won't really expect any, but I have to try.) And I'll check tomorrow and see if they've been rest again.

So check your current listings and see if any of yours have changed.

eBay recently sent me a notice of updated TOS that was headed Global Shipping. Because of the heading, I actually read the whole thing, which said that a click-through would enroll me in the Global Shipping Program. There was an option to decline the enrollment by declining to click-through.

Perhaps you automatically clicked through such a notice without realizing that it was not a run-of-the-mill notice of a TOS update, but an actual enrollment solicitation. I believe the notice also said that the Global Shipping Program could be turned off if one has enrolled and wishes to dis-enroll.

I declined to enroll because I do not like the terms of the Global Shipping Program. I do sell to select foreign countries and this program would discourage my foreign customers because of the significantly increased expense.

It is worth reading the documentation of the program to see if you really do not want it. One feature of the program is some protection against many of the reasons why people dislike foreign sales. eBay takes on the responsibility of foreign delivery, and delivery to the domestic reshipper counts as delivery as far as seller protection is concerned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 02:18PM by Janit.
Date: September 05, 2013 02:42PM
You may be right - I declined that thing so many times, but it just kept coming. Perhaps did I opt in somehow.

It is worth reading the documentation of the program to see if you really do not want it. One feature of the program is some protection against many of the reasons why people dislike foreign sales. eBay takes on the responsibility of foreign delivery, and delivery to the domestic reshipper counts as delivery as far as seller protection is concerned.

But ebay does not accept the feedback from the transaction - I do. And in my initial ebay research, I found that when good sellers got negs, it were often due to int'l sales where slow shipping and/or customs fees were not anticipated by the buyer. And returns would be expensive - the seller would be blamed for that too.

No thanks, things are going just fine they way they are...
Date: September 05, 2013 02:45PM
AH!

I found it. I had somehow opted in... here are instructions for opting out:

GOD I hate those f'ers
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2013 02:55PM
ebay - fixing things that weren't broken

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 05, 2013 03:21PM
This sounds like an opportunity for someone to develop a competitor to ebay.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 05, 2013 03:29PM
Thanks, I just went down some of my settings.

Noticed this -

First eBay Sale: 11/20/2001

---
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 05, 2013 03:30PM
mattkime

Yes, and thereby breaking them for real.
Date: September 05, 2013 03:37PM
Janit
mattkime

Yes, and thereby breaking them for real.

No kidding!! I now read every word of their quarterly newsletters telling us all the wonderful things that they do for me. It used to be something safely ignored, but now, that's where they warn people of future changes.

I'm dreading the day that they disallow HTML listings in favor of their canned descriptions. That will be the end of my great run.

macphanatic
This sounds like an opportunity for someone to develop a competitor to ebay.

only if you have a few $billion to spare getting it off the ground.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU GOOGLE!!

Ebay: if you build it, they will come... if you destroy it, they will leave

don't forget!
Posted by: h linamen
Date: September 05, 2013 05:52PM
I am so glad you brought this to our attention. I just checked and find in shipping preferences I am "opted In" and never was in the past. Just this morning I got a legalese email from eBay and clicked accept without reading the lengthy jargon. Bad mistake. Now I tried to opt out and got a message that I opted in less than 24 hours ago and must wait 24 hours to opt out. These guys are idiot. I have been considering abandoning eBay and this just might push me over the edge. The final value fees just keep going up-up-up....10% to eBay to sell a camera. Greedy robbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 05:53PM by h linamen.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: September 05, 2013 07:42PM
I thought the Global Shipping Program was a good deal for me. I don't normally ship overseas and this increases my exposure somewhat.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 05, 2013 11:09PM
Also change your Paypal setting to accept only US account. Post that you only ship to US addresses in your listings in bold after you adjust your settings in ebay.

Posted by: Billiken
Date: September 06, 2013 12:56AM
I recently wanted to bid on something on ebay.de (Germany), and I saw the the seller didn't accept PayPal. I looked at other Germany listings, and many didn't accept PayPal.

I thought this was an e-Bay requirement?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 06, 2013 01:01AM
Billiken
I recently wanted to bid on something on ebay.de (Germany), and I saw the the seller didn't accept PayPal. I looked at other Germany listings, and many didn't accept PayPal.

I thought this was an e-Bay requirement?

Different country so the law might be different on the payment monopoly.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 06, 2013 01:44PM
pRICE cUBE
Post that you only ship to US addresses in your listings in bold after you adjust your settings in ebay.

I'm not a frequent ebayer but a while ago I had a problem. My listing was set to ship only to the U.S. and it also said that in the text of the listing. But at the time I didn't realize I had to specifically block non-U.S. bidders. I ended up having an @#$%&hat from Australia win the bid. When I pointed out the U.S.-only shipping he started coming up with ways to handle the shipping himself and it turned into a gigantic hassle.

Date: September 06, 2013 03:21PM
Yes, simply stating that you don't want to sell overseas does not stop people from buying anyway. And if they win, you are required to ship to them else face a likely neg.

So i don't bother to tell people they can't bid - if they are blocked, they CAN'T bid and I find that the less negative sounding crap in my description , the better...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018