advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Brother HL-2170W Error light flashing
Posted by: LyleH
Date: September 11, 2013 12:29PM
In mid-job I turned off my Brother HL-2170W laser printer. When I turned it back on I get only the Red Error light blinking - blue power button does not stay on. Forgot how to get into CUPS - and I can't find a menu I once saw that would let me reset the printer. 2009 iMac and Mountain Lion 10.8.4. Thanks - LyleH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Brother HL-2170W Error light flashing
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 11, 2013 12:35PM
Lyle,

Since you turned it off mid-job, is it possible there is a paper jam that you need to resolve?

Robert
Date: September 11, 2013 01:02PM
Robert M
Lyle,

Since you turned it off mid-job, is it possible there is a paper jam that you need to resolve?

Robert
Nope, no sheets stuck in the machine. Good guess, though!! LyleH
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 11, 2013 01:14PM
[welcome.solutions.brother.com]

Some cover someplace is open. I usually have to open / close the front cover on my HL2270DW sometimes to get it to stop freaking out.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 11, 2013 01:42PM
You sure it isn't this?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 01:46PM by Will Collier.
Re: Brother HL-2170W Error light flashing-Problem solved
Date: September 11, 2013 03:32PM
LyleH
Robert M
Lyle,

Robert
Nope, no sheets stuck in the machine. Good guess, though!! LyleH
Thanks Robert M, you were correct. And thanks to Cbelt3, too. It was very hard to see, but I did have a paper jammed in it that I had to get by going into the back of the printer and lowering the panel that let me get into the fuser area. Had to use my manual to see how to open up the fuser area so I could see the paper. Luckily, a slow but steady pull got the paper out without tearing in half.

Next time I'll use the "Cancel Printing" feature. Printing a couple of extra copies is better than the time-consuming mess I got myself into. LyleH
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 11, 2013 03:43PM
Yep, turning off printers mid printing is the worst thing you could do.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: Brother HL-2170W Error light flashing-Problem solved
Posted by: silvarios
Date: September 11, 2013 04:02PM
LyleH
Thanks Robert M, you were correct. And thanks to Cbelt3, too. It was very hard to see, but I did have a paper jammed in it that I had to get by going into the back of the printer and lowering the panel that let me get into the fuser area. Had to use my manual to see how to open up the fuser area so I could see the paper. Luckily, a slow but steady pull got the paper out without tearing in half.

Next time I'll use the "Cancel Printing" feature. Printing a couple of extra copies is better than the time-consuming mess I got myself into. LyleH

Yep, happened to a client of mine. Couldn't see paper jam at first, but I fished it out the same way.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 11, 2013 04:13PM
C(-)ris
Yep, turning off printers mid printing is the worst thing you could do.

I think there's worse.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: September 11, 2013 04:54PM
Lyle,

Been there with other machines. Sometimes you've looked everywhere and the paper is stuck so deep in the machine that you missed it. Glad you found the problem. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 11, 2013 05:01PM
Robert M
Lyle,

Been there with other machines. Sometimes you've looked everywhere and the paper is stuck so deep in the machine that you missed it. Glad you found the problem. smiling smiley

Robert

The worst are when someone else "unjammed" it by tearing out the paper and you need to find the small pieces that are still in there and then figure out how to grab onto them.

I always try to get the sheet out in one piece, and it if does come out in multiple pieces I reassemble them to make sure that there's no missing pieces.
Date: September 11, 2013 06:23PM
GGD,

Tell me about it. I've had to use tweezers to get that last little bit. Very annoying. Especially when it's stuck in a part of the printer that is near impossible to reach. I had to replace a machine because someone tore a sheet of paper while trying to unjam it and we could never remove that last bit. The repair shop wanted to charge is a _ridiculous_ amount of money to fix the printer. So much that it was more cost effective to replace it.

'course, after replacing it, I decided to dismantle the printer just to see if I could find the culprit. I found it. It was a teensy piece of paper smaller than my fingernail deep in the printer. Just large enough for it to stop the printer dead. I put the printer back together again and it worked fine for several more years. That I had some parts leftover after rebuilding it didn't seem to matter. So, you can rebuild a machine and not use all of the parts and have it work but a teensy piece of paper will shut it down entirely. Go figure.

Robert
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 11, 2013 06:58PM
Robert M
I've had to use tweezers to get that last little bit. Very annoying. Especially when it's stuck in a part of the printer that is near impossible to reach... The repair shop wanted to charge is a _ridiculous_ amount of money to fix the printer.

I've dealt with dozens of printers with such jams and haven't had to pass it on to a repairman since the 20th century.

The little chunk of paper is always stuck in a roller or in a corner adjacent to a roller.

I have found that I only have to access the edge of the appropriate roller or the sprocket(s) for the roller and then with a few minutes' effort can always get the chunk of paper out by manipulating the roller/sprocket to advance or reverse the roller and spit the paper out via simple friction.
Date: September 12, 2013 09:25AM
Chak,

That's how it usually works when a teensy piece of paper is the source of the problem. Not in that case. Biggest pain in the butt!

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015