Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Article: New iPhones Fail to Impress Markets, Analysts
Posted by: Black
Date: September 11, 2013 09:07PM
[news.yahoo.com]

"The pricing on the iPhone 5C is simply not low enough to adequately address the significant global growth opportunity that we believe exists with unsubsidized prepaid customers that have not yet bought a smartphone," Piecyk said in a note to clients.

"We believe Apple is foregoing a valuable and relatively easy way to return to earnings growth. The real question is whether Apple plans to ever go after these markets or rather just remain a high-end phone maker."

Fred Wilson of the venture capital firm Union Square Ventures, which invests in tech firms, said on his blog that Apple failed to understand that around the world. most customers do not get carrier subsidies.

"The C in 5C does not mean 'cheap' as I had hoped," he wrote." It means clueless, as in clueless about how the vast majority of new smartphone users are paying for their phones."

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Article: New iPhones Fail to Impress Markets, Analysts
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 11, 2013 09:17PM
Imagine my surprise.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 11, 2013 09:22PM
Seems to be a popular topic today fr some reason.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 11, 2013 09:36PM
Is this a "DOOMED!!!" or a "BELEAGUERED!!!" post?
Posted by: Black
Date: September 11, 2013 09:44PM
Lux Interior

Dunno. I didn't know that Apple no longer had "earnings growth" prior to reading this.
Is it true?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: September 11, 2013 10:15PM
I heard a local tech reporter said he got rid of his iPhone to get a Galaxy S3. There's nothing much new and/or amazing compared to a bunch of other phones out there, he says.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 11, 2013 10:30PM
DP
I heard a local tech reporter said he got rid of his iPhone to get a Galaxy S3. There's nothing much new and/or amazing compared to a bunch of other phones out there, he says.

Yes, Samsung definitely beat Apple to the punch with a high-end LTE phone with the S3.

I think tech reporters have ADD with regard to products - if they aren't trying something new every few weeks, then they don't know what to do. Apple doesn't offer new products fast enough.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: September 11, 2013 10:57PM
Black
Lux Interior

Dunno. I didn't know that Apple no longer had "earnings growth" prior to reading this.
Is it true?

iPad, Mac, and iPod sales are down. iPhone loosing market share. So yes, earnings growth couldn't have been great. Growth means increased earning right, not merely continued profitability?

Apple is still a big time player, mind you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 11:13PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 12, 2013 11:35AM
Pundits said the same thing about the Galaxy S4 and yet people still seem to be buying it.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 12, 2013 12:44PM
Black

Fred Wilson of the venture capital firm Union Square Ventures, which invests in tech firms...

I first read that as "vulture capital firm". Probably more fitting.

And yes, "growth" and "profitability" are two different things. If Apple makes $100 Billion in profit one year, and $99 Billion in profit the next year, their stock will plunge because they didn't "grow".
Posted by: decay
Date: September 12, 2013 01:22PM
this sums it up nicely.

[www.tuaw.com]

Why are people chiding Apple because the iPhone 5c "isn't cheap" and "won't benefit emerging markets"? Did Apple ever say, "The iPhone 5c will be inexpensive and is meant for lower-income customers in emerging markets"? No. Did bloggers and analysts invent this motivation and business plan WEEKS before the press event? Yes. So now they're berating Apple for not adhering to a business plan it never adopted. Awesome.

---
Posted by: silvarios
Date: September 12, 2013 01:49PM
decay
this sums it up nicely.

[www.tuaw.com]

Why are people chiding Apple because the iPhone 5c "isn't cheap" and "won't benefit emerging markets"? Did Apple ever say, "The iPhone 5c will be inexpensive and is meant for lower-income customers in emerging markets"? No. Did bloggers and analysts invent this motivation and business plan WEEKS before the press event? Yes. So now they're berating Apple for not adhering to a business plan it never adopted. Awesome.

Nah, doesn't sum it up nicely at all. Conveniently ignores that's how the stock market works and Apple happily plays the game. In fact, all the Apple investors who masquerade as impartial observers, happily allow for these variances when the stock is going up, but cry bloody murder whenever there is a drop.

The expectation, you know, with decreasing market share in every category of product, is for Apple to work hard to not get relegated into a niche company. Apple released cheaper iPods as time went on and even has a cheaper iPad in the mini. Although, for the price, the mini is kind of overpriced as well), but in a vacuum, the mini is in fact a cheaper iPad. Apple can't compete in phones with a cheaper product? You think an iPhone 4 was worth $450 just before the announcement? Is a 4S now worth $450?

I also think product design is becoming a little problem for Apple. Their newest routers look just like other competitors products. The iPad mini resembles the Samsung Note enough, I thought the first releases photos were a joke/spoof. The new iPhone 5C strongly resembles Nokia's Asha 501 and some models of Lumia. Even the colors are similar on the 5C to Nokia's phones. I'm not sold on iOS 7 either, but I would need to see it in person first, before I can render any substantial judgement one way or the other.

The sky isn't falling, but if I were an Apple fan, as I used to be, I would want more from the company. As a consumer, as a technology enthusiast, I just think Apple hasn't pushed their technological advantages to the fullest extent. There has been a lot of legal wrangling and a lot of arm twisting of carriers to be on the hook for huge, non refundable iPhone orders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 01:54PM by silvarios.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 325
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018