Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.94 ( +5.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Word Labels...How to Alphabetize?
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: September 05, 2006 03:57PM
Client gave me a set of labels to edit and print in Word. Can't find out how to alphabetize them. They came all mixed up.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Word Labels...How to Alphabetize?
Posted by: Frank Pardue
Date: September 05, 2006 04:16PM
I am not aware of any way to do that in Word, but if you have Excel you can export the labels as a tab delimited file from Word, import the tab file in Excel, sort it as required, then save the sorted file and reopened it in Word.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: September 05, 2006 04:57PM
Thanks much.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 05, 2006 05:41PM
Frank Pardue
I am not aware of any way to do that in Word, but if you have Excel you can export the labels as a tab delimited file from Word, import the tab file in Excel, sort it as required, then save the sorted file and reopened it in Word.

I have Word X, and I keep checking the Help files in both Word and Excel so I can figure this out. It's been years and still no joy. What's the trick?! smiling smiley

I have a table created in Word, and I go through the routine of saving the document as a tab delimited file. I put the new doc on my desktop, and then I go through the routine in Excel to open it (choosing Text file, etc.), but the text file is always grayed out. I figure I'm missing something really simple, but I just can't figure out what that might be.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 05, 2006 08:08PM
a. try just copying the cells when you're in Word and pasting them into Excel

b. make sure the Excel Open... dialog box is seeing All files, not just "readable" files.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 05, 2006 08:53PM
I hope the OP is having more luck than me. sad smiley Thanks for trying; I guess I'm just too dumb to do this. I don't need my stuff alphabetized that bad anyway!
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 05, 2006 09:22PM
As Frank said:

WORD: select All (CMD-A)
copy (CMD-C)

EXCEL: paste all (CMD-V)
depending on how the word text is entered, you might need to break out first and last names using the Tool TEXT TO COLUMNS (ask if you need to do this)
sort
Copy all
WORD: paste
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login