advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Factory restore? Further adventures with iPhone 3G
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 30, 2013 10:39PM
Can an iPhone (3G in this case) which has been unlocked by a third party (and perhaps jailbroken in the process) be returned to original factory configuration, or is it doomed to be a chimera for the rest of its useful life?

Background

Two years ago, before Apple or AT&T would unlock an iPhone, we passed our son our old, out of contract AT&T iPhone 3G for use in the UK. This meant he had to have it unlocked by a third party (in the UK) so that it could be used with one of the UK carriers.

The process was easy, and the iPhone worked flawlessly while in the UK. Now that 3G has been swapped for our old iPhone 4 which is now also out of contract, and was officially unlocked by AT&T.

But the 3G still has some life in it, and we're wondering if Apple or AT&T can bring it back to its original factory settings if we take it in?

(I've tested the online hacks which do get the phone running, but seem to leave it as a collection of Apple and non-Apple code which I don't believe we could take into AT&T and have them add it to our service contract.)

Previous thread:
iPhone as phone only?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Factory restore? Further adventures with iPhone 3G
Posted by: JJ
Date: September 30, 2013 11:11PM
If I am not missing anything you should be able to do a standard restore through iTunes.

Since the phone was originally on AT&T is will work just fine on that network after a restore.

To test this you can try it out with an AT&T pay as you go SIM or simply take the phone to an AT&T store.

JJ
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 30, 2013 11:24PM
No standard restore possible; get error 1015. This seems to be the predominant problem trying to restore a third party unlocked/jailbroken iPhone.
There are techniques around this, but they're all third party hacks themselves, which leave the iPhone still non-standard.
Date: September 30, 2013 11:42PM
Have you tried this fix?

[www.youtube.com]

You can find all of the firmware files at iClarified also.

JJ
Date: October 01, 2013 12:01AM
It seems like the hack used to unlock it was a baseband downgrade which Apple detects when you try to restore.

Using the method I linked in the youtube video or any method that restores the baseband and software should get you to a point where you can then restore using iTunes.

Let me know if you have any luck. If not I would be happy to have a go at it free of charge.

JJ
Posted by: silvarios
Date: October 01, 2013 03:22AM
Why not leave the firmware as is and then pop in an AT&T SIM? AT&T should never need to touch the phone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DP , jdc , raz , sekker , sydric
Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020