advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
While my car is being repaired, driving a Dodge Charger
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 02, 2013 07:58PM
My Buick Lucerne was rear ended last week and I dropped it off at the dealer today. The other guys insurance has been more than nice and my rental car was waiting when I got there.

It was a Dodger Charger with 7000 miles on it. I think it is a base model, moderately optioned. Engine wise, it has the 3.6 V6 mated with the 5 speed tranny.

I'm still torn on the looks outside. Sometimes I like it, and sometimes it seems Dodge missed the mark.

Impressions:

--the good---

-the car itself is very rigid. No squeaks, rattles, and it takes bumps like they aren't there.
-the ride is sporty, but not harsh
-the V6 is spirited and the 5 speed shifts smoothly and fast. Plus you have the option to shift yourself by moving the shifter left or right
-the car is very quiet
-the fit and finish is great on the sheet metal
-the interior parts are mostly soft touch and the fit is top rate

--the not so hot---

-the interior is all black. The seats, the doors, the carpet, the dash. The black is only broken up by some fake silver mesh/metal around speedometer display. I truly hate monochromatic interiors. It needs to be broken up by color. The black interior really takes away from the quality of the car. The quality is there, but the black seems low rent to me.
-for a big car, the trunk is tiny.

If I were in the market, I'd buy an Impala or Taurus over the Dodge, but if I get a heck of a deal on one, it wouldn't be an awful car. It is just that all black interior is a deal killer.

Anyway, I'll have a little bit of fun driving it while my Lucerne gets fixed.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 08:02PM by Grumpyguy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: While my car is being repaired, driving a Dodge Charger
Posted by: jims
Date: October 02, 2013 08:44PM
We bought a new Charger in 2008 and still love it. It has the 5,7 Hemi engine. Have not had any trouble out of it and are approaching 70,000 miles. It has been a great road car. If I were car shopping now I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

jims
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 02, 2013 09:03PM
I'd probably go with a Challenger if I went Dodge. Either way, I'm liking it flat black.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: billb
Date: October 02, 2013 09:13PM
We rented that exact same model/color in Oregon last Spring when we were there . It was a substitute as the Hyundai we were supposed to get had a flat tire and that was what they had left.
Pretty much the same impression.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 02, 2013 09:18PM
I was looking at the Dodge website and it seems you can get contrasting seats and door inserts. That would help immensely.

Bryan
Posted by: raz
Date: October 02, 2013 09:35PM
We rented one last month. At my height, I found the visibility poor. But, the worst part was the hunt for the gas door release.

It's on the driver's door, under the arm rest.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 02, 2013 11:27PM
I've rented a Chrysler 200 a couple of times and was very impressed (I think it's based on the same platform as the Charger?). I wouldn't buy one, don't trust Dodge quality, but it is an awfully nice car for long trips on the highway.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 02, 2013 11:38PM
I think of the Dodge Challenger as the Official Car of the D O U C H E. You don't have to.

I really really like the Buick Lucerne. It looks exactly what somebody from 1960 would have thought what an American car should look like about 2010. Its long and graceful. My parents almost bought one before they test drove and enjoyed the Ford 500.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 03, 2013 03:23AM
You don't have to.

Don't worry, I don't.

I like the Challenger and the Charger.

I expect rentals to have basic non-descript interiors. What are Dodge interiors like these days? Way back when, they were pretty cheap, like Chevy interiors. I know somebody who bought a 2009 Yukon and I thought the interior was really cheap looking, despite the various goodies.

I'd probably get a Taurus before a Dodge because the interiors are really nicely done. The Impala doesn't impress me at all, at least up to but not including the rebadged Holden. That may be an improvement.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: October 03, 2013 08:46AM
I had to drive a Charger when my car was being repaired three years ago. I hated it. Huge and lumbering, total gas guzzler, rear visibility poor, and where the hell is the headlight switch! I couldn't wait to turn that thing in. Definitely a guy car.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 03, 2013 11:37AM
Grumpyguy
-the interior is all black. The seats, the doors, the carpet, the dash. The black is only broken up by some fake silver mesh/metal around speedometer display. I truly hate monochromatic interiors. It needs to be broken up by color. The black interior really takes away from the quality of the car. The quality is there, but the black seems low rent to me.
I've noticed Dodge rental cars tend to have the monochromatic black interior, usually with seats covered in a cloth that reminds me strongly of wetsuit material. I assume the all-black interior helps hide any liquid stains that the wetsuit cloth doesn't repel. I'll take a monochromatic black interior over a monochromatic epoxy grey interior any day, though.

Grumpyguy
-for a big car, the trunk is tiny.
I noticed the same thing about a Chrysler 300 (same chassis) I rented a while back.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 03, 2013 02:08PM
Man they really captured and duplicated how those old Mopars were boat-like and had seemingly three inches of ground clearance under them.

I'll never buy an American car again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018