advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.58 ( +0.01 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1Password4: buy from Apple or from AgileBits?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 09, 2013 04:00PM
I have a question about buying 1Password directly from developer (Dave Teare, AgileBits) vs from Apple (Mac App Store)

If one bought 1Password 3 from Agilebits earlier that 2013, they could get a 50% discount to upgrade to v4. So let's do the math: the original price was $40, and now one would have to pay $20 for the upgrade. total is $60!

If one bought 1Password 3 from Mac App store regardless of time, the upgrade from MacApp store is free. the price was $40 and Agile Bits got only 70% of that, or about $28. Oh, and one could also get those iTunes cards for 20% off, so in effect one would pay only $32.

So now I wonder why would one buy 1Password4 upgrade for $20 from Agile bits at this time? it seems to make more sense to buy from Apple since future upgrades should be free? Should I spend $20 and buy from Agile bits to get v4, or $32 at Apple ($40 -20% off) and hope the next version will be free?

if one would start fresh, there is no question that it is better to buy from Apple directly.

EDIT: forgot to mention: if I buy from Apple I believe I can run it on both my MBP and my wife's MBP, whereas if I buy from Agile I would technically need 2 licenses or a family pack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 04:01PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1Password4: buy from Apple or from AgileBits?
Posted by: silvarios
Date: October 09, 2013 04:15PM
I wouldn't buy anything on the Mac app store that had an option to buy from the developer directly. Updates get held up by Apple, apps have change (read: crippled) to meet new changing standards, and since there is no upgrade path, I would guess developers will start charging upgrade prices in the Mac app store by offering new content as in app purchases. Just a guess.

Cheap software is to make Apple's obscene hardware markups seem palatable. It doesn't help developers, and while it seems like it should help consumers, the rise of freemium apps that turn out to be expensive on iOS shows otherwise.
Date: October 09, 2013 05:45PM
well, Dave Teare seems more positive about Mac App store. here is a part from his email:

Dave Teare
We've been blown away by the response. Shortly after being added to the Mac App Store, Apple featured 1Password and made it their Editor's Choice. And then the unthinkable happened: we tamed the Mountain Lion to become the top grossing app in the entire App Store!

It was a truly fantastic launch day and we couldn't have done it without our awesome customers.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 09, 2013 06:23PM
Popular developers like the App Store because they're willing to trade profit percentage for revenue. In other words, Apple does a more effective job of promotion and the results are turned into dollars for devs.

But as buyers our considerations are somewhat different. For some titles, you'll get faster development response (i.e. updates/bugfixes) if you bought it from the dev, as silvarios said. And for a password app that could potentially be a HUGE issue if some OS or browser update borks 1Password for a while, which has happened before.

Should I ... buy from Agile bits ... and hope the next version will be free?

I think you know it won't be free. Because today's upgrade isn't free. Updates via the App Store are free and that's a really nice bonus, as if the ability to use it on any Mac that shares the same AppleID.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: October 09, 2013 06:25PM
Buying it from the App Store also allows it to be synced using iCloud.

That being said, I plan on buying my upgrade once again from the developer.
Date: October 09, 2013 06:34PM
deckeda

Should I ... buy from Agile bits ... and hope the next version will be free?

I think you know it won't be free. Because today's upgrade isn't free. Updates via the App Store are free and that's a really nice bonus, as if the ability to use it on any Mac that shares the same AppleID.

please do not change the meaning of what I wrote

Should I spend $20 and buy from Agile bits to get v4, or $32 at Apple ($40 -20% off) and hope the next version will be free?

I was wondering if I buy now V4 from Mac App store, if V5 would be free at Mac App store.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 09, 2013 06:37PM
My mistake, I thought all updates to apps bought through the App Store were/would be free.

They have an upgrade provision now? Or, they don't but you anticipate they will?

Another way to look at this (and it's a SANE way, in my opinion) is that these kinds of apps are inexpensive to buy and inexpensive to update regardless of how you do it, and that $20 or $30 (or whatever) you spend today will long be forgotten in 12-16 months if and when you might have to do it again.
Date: October 09, 2013 07:20PM
IronMac

interesting. the version bought from Agile does not support iCloud syncing?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 09, 2013 07:20PM
Space,

I ordered my upgrade directly from Agile Bits. One of the reasons is because of the regular updates to 1Password. AgileBits is one of the most active developers I've seen in all my years of computing and we're talking 30+ years. They really put a tremendous amount of time and effort into their software. The only benefits I see from getting it via the App store are marginally easier installation and updates on the machines I have affiliated with my Apple ID and iCloud syncing. And, neither is important to me.

I don't care about iCloud syncing. It's not reliable enough for something as critical as my 1Password data. Case in point: there was another icloud outage yesterday. Instead, I sync via Dropbox. The licensing from Apple is handy for people who only need the Mac version. I have multiple macs and a windows box. For me, it is just as convenient to get 1Password (and updates) from AgileBits itself as it is to get them via the App store. As Deck pointed out, for a password program, fast support and updates are imperative.

Other members of my family use 1Password as well. So, for me, two family packs was the appropriate purchase. One Mac only family pack and one Mac and Windows family pack. This covers me as well as my entire family. I was able to get both for just a bit more than the cost of a single Mac and Windows family pack since I'd already bought 1Password as a single Mac user and as a family pack Mac and Windows user. Now I am a family pack Mac and family pack Mac and Windows user.

Speaking of licensing... AgileBits is actually very generous when it comes to their licensing. I believe the 1Password license allows a single user to install and use 1Password on all of their machines on a given platform. Meaning, If you have two macs, you purchase the license for _you_ to use 1Password on both Macs. If you have a Mac and a Windows box, you purchase a license for the Mac and a license for the Windows box. But, once you have said license, you can use it on two Macs or two Windows machines as long as they are your machines and nobody else uses your copy of 1Password.

That is how it came across to me on the license info page in the user guide for 1Password3 from Agile Bits:

[help.agilebits.com]

And directly from the general information license page from AgileBits:

[agilebits.com]

AgileBits doesn't have a dedicated license info page in the user guide to 1Password 4. Instead, you're directed to the general license page. I think it's reasonable to say the same licensing system is in place for 1Password4 but I can't be 100% sure. That and my overall interpretation could be incorrect as well.

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 09, 2013 07:35PM
I'll buy direct from AgileBits for the same reason why i'd buy direct from any smaller mfg - so they get more money.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 09, 2013 07:43PM
Matt,

One of my reasons, too. Aside from everything I said in my other post. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 09, 2013 08:42PM
mattkime
I'll buy direct from AgileBits for the same reason why i'd buy direct from any smaller mfg - so they get more money.

+1000. As I mentioned here earlier this week, until now I have received for free EVERY upgrade released for 1Password since I purchased it in 2008. I've gotten every penny's worth out of that purchase. Dave and company deserve to receive the higher amount from me for this major upgrade.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: October 09, 2013 08:50PM
got the upgrade free since I purchased only a few months ago.

Asheville, NC Area
Date: October 09, 2013 08:58PM
space-time
it seems to make more sense to buy from Apple since future upgrades should be free? Should I spend $20 and buy from Agile bits to get v4, or $32 at Apple ($40 -20% off) and hope the next version will be free?

if one would start fresh, there is no question that it is better to buy from Apple directly.

EDIT: forgot to mention: if I buy from Apple I believe I can run it on both my MBP and my wife's MBP, whereas if I buy from Agile I would technically need 2 licenses or a family pack.

Exactly! Plus, upgrades are automatic and dead simple through the App Store.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: October 09, 2013 09:04PM
space-time
IronMac

interesting. the version bought from Agile does not support iCloud syncing?

"To use iCloud syncing you should purchase on the Mac App Store, but ultimately the choice is a personal preference."

[learn.agilebits.com]
Date: October 09, 2013 09:10PM
mattkime

They get more money by marketing their software through the App Store.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login