advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another bad Target iPad trade in experience
Posted by: JJ
Date: November 10, 2013 02:04AM
I want to say right off the bat that I don't know why people are saying this promotion is somehow tied to the number of gift cards on hand. The Target stores are creating the cards as people trade in their iPads (this is directed by their own store trade in process) . It is not as if they have a limited number of BLANK cards on hand they have many. They load the trade-in amount to a blank gift card at he time of the trade-in.

Here was my experience:

Brought in a fully functional iPad (1st gen 64GB WIFI + 3G). The Target employee said sure I can help you with that. He looks the iPad over finishes the RESET process I had started on the way to the store and types in the iPad's serial/model number information into his computer.

His computer asks him to answer a few questions about the iPad and initially his answers result in the computer telling him the iPad is worth the MINIMUM (read the Target website, it clearly states they will give you a MINIMUM of $200).

He then notes a slightly bent area near the iPad speaker and tells me that he can only give me $45 dollars because the iPad isn't in pristine condition. I said no thank you and took my iPad back.

I told my wife I was going to check Target's website because I was sure it said that the trade-in must power on and have no LCD defects. My iPad definitely met those criteria.

I double checked Target's website and I was right. I return to the employee.

The Target mobile employee says he can show me the questions his computer asks and also proceeds to tell me that if he takes my iPad in less than pristine condition then the amount he gives me in trade will be charged back to his store. I ask him if I should contact Target Corporate to figure this out and he volunteers to give me his district manager's phone number. I say no thanks, I am going to contact the corporate office.

I tell him I do not disbelieve what he is saying to me about the prompted questions his computer is asking but that this is a special promotion and my iPad meets the criteria.

He shows me the screen with the questions and it does mention something about bent or damaged. I look at the TITLE of the question and it clearly is asking about the condition of the LCD, not any other part of the iPad. There is only one other question which is does the iPad power on and do the buttons work. Of course in my case the answer is yes.

At this point I point out that the two main criteria are met and then the Target employee cops an attitude, but then barks "give me your iPad I am going to give you the trade in". He then says "give me your license" to which I reply, "my driver's license"? He says yes "please" and starts to realize that he has not treated me properly.

Finally he asks if I want to buy a new iPad and I say not today. He swipes a gift card and loads $200 to it. He asks me to sign a paper and says that I can not get my iPad back after I sign. I sign and he gives me a receipt in case I lose the gift card.

I'd be willing to bet he turned away many trade-ins using these tactics. I know his name and the store he works at so I do plan to send Target a complaint.

JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 02:14AM by JJ.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another bad Target iPad trade in experience
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 10, 2013 03:58AM
Finally he asks if I want to buy a new iPad and I say not today. He swipes a gift card and loads $200 to it. He asks me to sign a paper and says that I can not get my iPad back after I sign. I sign and he gives me a receipt in case I lose the gift card.

but unlike the other thread, you did get your $200 card. you got a rude employee, or one in a bad mood that day, who knows. the fact is that you managed the situation very well and you got what you wanted.
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 10, 2013 05:04AM

I'd be willing to bet he turned away many trade-ins using these tactics. I know his name and the store he works at so I do plan to send Target a complaint.

Good for you. I'm glad it went better than my experience.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 10, 2013 06:36AM
Target must be employing too many unemployed educators with doctorates.

I helped cut down dead oak trees and cut and split them into firewood yesterday. Got almost three cords done that went to three different houses. ( 3 guys, 3 houses)
despite a sore back and elbow I'm headed out to try to get another 2 or 3 cords done today.
As I drive by Target on the way home and if my arm is not too sore, I'll point a middle finger their way for ya.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 10, 2013 07:17AM
Wow what's happened to Target, they're starting to sound more and more like Walmart.

Grateful11
Posted by: Black
Date: November 10, 2013 08:12AM
Frankly I'm surprised the employee knew how to process the iPad and especially how to work it.
I'd expect something like this to go more like p1872's experience below, where nobody had a clue and nobody would bother to find out.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 10, 2013 08:41AM
Still wondering what Target is going to do with all these old ipads...
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 10, 2013 09:08AM
As I explained in the other thread, Target employees are NOT handling the iPad trade-ins - these are independent contractors.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: November 10, 2013 10:37AM
Traded in an iPhone 4 with a bad home button and digitizer last night toward a 5S. Several people traded in iPads while I was there, took at most 3-5 minutes. Regular Target employees were doing the trade ins, not contractors- I asked. Regular gift cards like they have in stacks by the front registers, no "special" cards were issued.
The trade ins will be sold through NextWorth, they had 8 boxes of traded iPads ready to ship out from just Saturday, and they had sold over 300 new ones Friday and Saturday. Sorry some of you got attitudes while you were there, my experience was quick and efficient.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 10, 2013 12:17PM
Mine was a quick and painless experience as well. I just had to wait in line about 15 minutes or more, both Target Mobile people were helping customers with new iPhone 5S, and it sounds like they were trade-ins as well. My guy started powering it on, then realized that I had reset it to like-new status and didn't want to wait for the tablet to boot, so he looked at the serial number on the back, typed it into the computer, showed me the regular trade-in price ($75 for a 64GB 1st gen) changed the amount on the computer, had me sign a form and gave me a gift card. That was it. While standing in line, another person came up behind me who also had an iPad to trade.

The employee was telling me that normally they do 1-2 trades a week, but this week, especially after it became well-known, they were doing about 50-60 trade-ins per day. He did say that stores were running out of the gift cards, so evidently they are different than the regular ones, I guess maybe they have them made up ahead of time. He said that on his way into work he had to stop by a different Target and pick up a bunch of gift cards for the store that we were at.

I had called my co-worker before I entered the store, I was a bit worried and I wanted to see how his trade went. He said the same thing, 10 minutes and they were out of the store. His wife had called earlier and had Target reserve the 32 GB Air, they went in, he gave in his and walked out with a brand new Air. Smooth as silk. Neither one of us had to hand in our 30 pin cables or power adapters.

I think the quality of the trade-in experience is related to the employee in question, but maybe their supervisor as well. For my coworker and I, two different stores, similar positive experiences.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 10, 2013 12:34PM
The Trade in cards are NOT the same as normal gift cards and some stores did run out. However, some stores may have substituted normal gift cards when they ran out. But they had no obligation to do so.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: November 10, 2013 01:39PM
Our experience went OK (i.e., we got the $200 gift card for our first-gen 16GB WiFi iPad), though the process was a bit stressful for some people in line. The woman two places ahead of us didn't know the security code needed to unlock something on her iPad, and the guy handling the trade ins (who didn't appear to be a Target employee, he was wearing a black shirt) tried to explain why he couldn't process the trade-in because of that. The woman was a little...well, sketchy...and she got angry and said, "You don't have to be mean to me!" and threw (literally) her iPad in her shopping basket and left. The guy seemed pretty burned out and when I asked he had been busy, he said he had been doing these trade-ins all week, often without even a short rest break. I sympathized with him, he seemed a nice enough guy, just under a lot of stress.

BTW, we got just a regular Target gift card.

Date: November 10, 2013 03:37PM
The Target Mobile employees wear black shirts. I think that they are the only ones who can sell and activate phones and handle trade-ins. As far as I know, they are still Target employees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 03:38PM by Sam3.
Date: November 10, 2013 04:30PM
Forrest
As I explained in the other thread, Target employees are NOT handling the iPad trade-ins - these are independent contractors.

This assertion does not seem to have popular support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 04:31PM by Black.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 10, 2013 04:42PM
But they do wear Black shirts.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: November 10, 2013 05:11PM
Sam3
The Target Mobile employees wear black shirts. I think that they are the only ones who can sell and activate phones and handle trade-ins. As far as I know, they are still Target employees.

Ah, good to know, I stand corrected.

My experience...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 10, 2013 06:09PM
First, I'm thankful to space-time for the post and alert to finding Target stores near me that would process the trade-in. Without that, I had resigned to pass on a great deal.

Target Mobile employees wear black shirts and are not Target employees. The TMEs at the two Target's I visited told me so, and that their hours of operation were different than those of Target proper. Also, the both had their own setup for processing trade-ins. When I asked about iPad availability, I was referred to the Red Shirts, which did not instill hope.

I do recall that there was a lower tier of Apple Black Shirts who worked a space within-- Computerland? Or some now defunct big box computer store and they weren't store employees either.

Both TMEs told me about the "supplies limited" disclaimer in the ad, and the limitation of cards and about many stores being sold out.

I don't know what a "regular" Targét gift card looks like, but mine reads "Electronics Trade-In Card" implying some sort of condition and/or limitation.

I don't know about over or under educated, but the TMEs at both stores were well versed in Apple kit. My pristine Gen 1 iPad was quickly examined, and data entered into their terminal. I mentioned that I might trade-in my Gen 3 and was told "You know, it's just a flat $200 for any qualifying iPad" and suggested the 3 might get more somewhere else.

The TME at the second store started at 1130hrs, as did the one at the first store, and hadn't had a break as of 1500hrs when I got there. At the time I was the only person waiting and they said they needed to lock up a stack of trade-ins, get some keys, and take a break. I said "no problem, I've got plenty of time". When they passed by the Electronics check-outjust a few minutes later, there were five or six people with me, He looked for a second and resigned to opening up again. I would have not made eye contact, kept moving, and taken a break.

These are just two data points, but they were basically identical.

If there were any miscommunication, I'd guess it was the fault of corporate far more so than any/most TMEs. The ad noted three criteria for acceptance but apparently the software wanted more. The ad implied more than $200 for some iPads, but in fact seemed limited to $200.

And that woman who couldn't unlock the iPad sounds sketchy to me. I believe one of the criteria was having the Fine My iPad feature unlocked, if in iOS7. If that were the case, I would have happily (but professionally, of course) denied the trade.

I am very fortunate to have been able to participate, no muss no fuss, as I'm usually a dollar short and a day late. Even with space-time's help, I almost missed out, my own doing. It's too bad that some people missed out. Typically I'm one of those, but I try hard not to kill the messenger.

That usually generates muss and fuss.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 10, 2013 06:28PM
Thanks for correcting the info regarding the TME's. I know that they had different hours.
Re: My experience...
Date: November 10, 2013 08:10PM
RAMd®d

I do recall that there was a lower tier of Apple Black Shirts who worked a space within-- Computerland? Or some now defunct big box computer store and they weren't store employees either..

CompUSA?
Or... what's the other one...oh yeah, Circuit City.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 08:10PM by Black.
Re: My experience...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 10, 2013 08:21PM
CompUSA!

I could *not* remember the name, but remember the store well.

It's nee TigerDirect.

[www.tigerdirect.com]

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020