advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has Amazon jumped the shark?
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: November 18, 2013 02:49PM
It seems like the "Prime" 2-day shipping has turned into 4-5 days, on top of the non-prime minimum $ free shipping increase..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has Amazon jumped the shark?
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 18, 2013 03:06PM
In the past month, two of my Amazon 2-day delivery Prime orders have taken 3 business days to arrive. I ordered both around noon. Definitely within business hours. No apology or reason for delay. No eMail update. It just arrived a day late like it was normal. I should've returned it on their dime (late delivery: reason) to teach them a lesson and then re-ordered it to cut into their profit margin.
Posted by: clay
Date: November 18, 2013 03:12PM
you can email them to complain and they should credit you a few bucks to make up for the delay.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 18, 2013 03:17PM
I was having the opposite problem with Newegg and had to stop using them. I was ordering items with supersaver shipping and they were showing up the next day when I was expecting at least two days. They were getting stolen because they were sitting for a day. I was not getting notification that they had been shipped, just a delivery notice when I was out of town and not due back until the next day.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 18, 2013 03:17PM
Probably why they made a deal with the USPS to deliver over the weekends for no extra cost. Probably at capacity with the weekend taking off private delivery industry.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: November 18, 2013 03:30PM
Haven't experience any delays, but I'm a couple months out from my last delivery.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 18, 2013 03:39PM
I've never had particularly good shipping from Amazon, especially around Christmas. If I order from them, (and I try not to) around Christmastime, I generally give them an extra week or so to avoid presents coming after the 25th.

Amazon is a good place to compare products and see reviews from previous buyers. Then I can often pick up the product I choose locally for nearly the same price.

Karma is a b*tch.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 18, 2013 03:44PM
The USPS probably has the most extensive delivery network in the US, but it isn't used anywhere near to capacity. If the USPS could load up on Amazon business just to fill trucks and planes it would probably help them quite a bit. Then again, being a quasi-government operation they might be actually losing boatloads of money on every item they handle. In which case, they're just losing more boatloads of money.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: August West
Date: November 18, 2013 03:51PM
I often use Amazon without any serious complaint. The few times things were a day late, they gave me a 10 dollar credit. The one time I was relying on them and reallyI made a stink, they overnighted the product that was stuck in someone else's shipping warehouse, then sent me a return sticker to send the extra one back after it arrived a day or two late.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 18, 2013 03:53PM
The only thing that's ticked me off recently is I'm finding a number of items are now "Add On" items ONLY... you can't order them separately, only "Add On" if your order is over $25.
So I can't actually BUY a 1lb block of bread yeast without buying $25 worth of "other stuff" that's not considered "Add On" first.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 18, 2013 03:54PM
August West
The few times things were a day late, they gave me a 10 dollar credit.
I'm guessing this wasn't a $10 order. Roughly what percentage cost of the order did they refund?
Date: November 18, 2013 03:57PM
ztirffritz
The USPS probably has the most extensive delivery network in the US, but it isn't used anywhere near to capacity. If the USPS could load up on Amazon business just to fill trucks and planes it would probably help them quite a bit. Then again, being a quasi-government operation they might be actually losing boatloads of money on every item they handle. In which case, they're just losing more boatloads of money.

USPS made $623 million operating profit in Fiscal Year 2013 as of 9/30/13. Remember Congress is forcing them to make a $5.6 billion dollar payment which they term an operating expense. A forced loan to the treasury. This is what's hanging around the Post Office's neck. They didn't make the payment, which is termed a liability. But the USPS knows what it's doing otherwise. Hopefully Congress will let them make deals like this one with Amazon because package delivery is only going to increase as time moves forward.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: November 18, 2013 04:00PM
Been ordering from Amazon for over 16 years and have had about a 99% rate of on time delivery. A lot may have to do with local delivery. And the few orders that have been late have gotten credited a few dollars for the delay. If anything, orders tend to arrive in one day instead of two and I live in the boonies.

Athens, OH
Posted by: silvarios
Date: November 18, 2013 04:01PM
pdq
I've never had particularly good shipping from Amazon, especially around Christmas. If I order from them, (and I try not to) around Christmastime, I generally give them an extra week or so to avoid presents coming after the 25th.

Amazon is a good place to compare products and see reviews from previous buyers. Then I can often pick up the product I choose locally for nearly the same price.

Karma is a b*tch.

I had one day shipping for a TV to arrive on Christmas eve. Cost me $4. Granted, one day shipping costs have increased since then, but it was ridiculously underpriced for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 04:08PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 18, 2013 04:10PM
Yeah, I frequently get my package a day later than promised. Right now I'm in the middle of an issue with them. I need a gewgaw by Wednesday morning at the latest. I ordered it last Thursday morning, and with 2-day shipping it was supposed to arrive Saturday. It didn't, hadn't even left the warehouse. So I chatted with them & they got it shipped and swear it will be here Tuesday night. We'll see.

I had a second issue to discuss with them. On Saturday, I got a box that had been crushed and opened. The FedEx guy wanted me to open it up and see if anything was damaged or missing. Damaged, not really. Missing, I couldn't tell, because there was no packing slip. That makes it hard to know if anything is missing. The Amazon rep I chatted with told me they're not always including packing slips these days. That really bothers me. I expressed that. I always check the packing slip.

Between the two things, they gave me $10 credit for my troubles. Nice, and unexpected.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 18, 2013 04:26PM
Like Filliam H. Muffman, I ordered a printer from Newegg last week with their free shipping option, expecting it to arrive this week sometime (there was no rush). To my surprise, it arrived the very next day. I'm not complaining, though; I was delighted.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 18, 2013 04:31PM
archipirata
Been ordering from Amazon for over 16 years and have had about a 99% rate of on time delivery. A lot may have to do with local delivery. And the few orders that have been late have gotten credited a few dollars for the delay. If anything, orders tend to arrive in one day instead of two and I live in the boonies.

This.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 18, 2013 04:33PM
silvarios

I had one day shipping for a TV to arrive on Christmas eve. Cost me $4. Granted, one day shipping costs have increased since then, but it was ridiculously underpriced for years.

And I've had a number of orders placed well before their recommended cutoff date for pre-Christmas delivery that didn't make it. Given the experiences described above, I guess I should have complained, and I might have gotten a $10 credit to entice me to order from them again.

But I didn't. And I don't trust them to deliver at any particular time any more. Don't get me wrong- I've ordered tons of stuff from them in the past, and I continue to order from them occasionally (although most of the latest orders have been from Amazon-affiliated vendors and not Amazon itself), but these days I actively try to avoid it. I'm not sure it's a good thing for one giant online retailer to sell at a near-loss and drive everyone else (on-line or otherwise) out of business.
Posted by: weapon
Date: November 18, 2013 05:19PM
Oops.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 05:21PM by weapon.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 18, 2013 05:21PM
Been ordering from Amazon for over 16 years and have had about a 99% rate of on time delivery.

This has been my experience.

I order *frequently* from them with great results.

The 1% includes an iMac that arrived in a beat up, broken box with the OEM retail box intact, got my $35 shipping reversed (didn't have Prime at the time); on two occasions Amazon sent my items by Priority Mail instead of UPS to my shipping address (I want First Class and Priority to go to my POB).

The Add-On program is disappointing but I can't get upset. Why should I expect Amazon to operate at a loss forever?

Hopefully Congress will let them make deals like this one with Amazon

What deal are you referring to?

Occasionally the USPS delivers an Amazon-proper package to me, but most of it goes through UPS and FedEx, who, with no little irony, hand it off the USPS for the Last Mile thing. They'd go broke if they had to deliver to potentially every house in the US. And that's without the pre-funding payments required of the USPS.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: weapon
Date: November 18, 2013 05:22PM
Paul F.
The only thing that's ticked me off recently is I'm finding a number of items are now "Add On" items ONLY... you can't order them separately, only "Add On" if your order is over $25.
So I can't actually BUY a 1lb block of bread yeast without buying $25 worth of "other stuff" that's not considered "Add On" first.

When this happens, I just order a criterion bluray for $50. Then return it. Free shipping and PITA for them.

Where as I used to shop for everything at Amazon, now I shop for it online and head to local retailer for a price match. Thanks Amazon.
Date: November 18, 2013 05:23PM
Oh sorry. Here's a link to the Amazon/USPS deal. [seattletimes.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 18, 2013 05:25PM
I live in the boonies of Arkansas and have never had a problem with Amazon.

You would think that the USPS is talking with Amazon and others to work out a high-tech win-win way of using up the USPS's capacity and help the internet stores compete with the dreaded Wal-Mart.

Most consumer items have to be trucked eventually - either to the Wal-Mart store on pallets or to your mailbox or door. Maybe the day will come when we have Super Mail Boxes - say a 3X3X3 foot concrete box with a lock that can be electronically opened by the mail man and with a touch-pad code by the homeowner. Who knows, maybe the Post Office would give away the boxes to get a leg up on UPS and Fedex. Maybe they could have an app (if they don't already) to notify you when you have mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 06:07PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 18, 2013 05:37PM
weapon
Paul F.

When this happens, I just order a criterion bluray for $50. Then return it. Free shipping and PITA for them.

Where as I used to shop for everything at Amazon, now I shop for it online and head to local retailer for a price match. Thanks Amazon.

What reason do you put for the return? I think they make you pay if you say "no longer wanted/needed"
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: November 18, 2013 07:19PM
Twice Amazon has missed two days on our Prime account ... Both times called and received $5 credits. Rarely have an issue and often things come in a single day.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 18, 2013 07:47PM
I have not had that problem.

nor am i a fan of "jumped the shark"

Posted by: August West
Date: November 18, 2013 08:14PM

I'm guessing this wasn't a $10 order. Roughly what percentage cost of the order did they refund?

33 Dollars and some odd cents. IIRC. Was an RS232 to USB adapter. Don't remember the other, but it was under $50.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: John B.
Date: November 18, 2013 09:20PM
I was on an out-of-town site visit this weekend and needed to replace a component I couldn't source locally. Ordered mid-day on Friday for Saturday delivery, and sure enough, the FedEx guy was there just before 11am with my replacement part. No Prime account, not my usual delivery address, no problem.

For what it's worth, I tried really hard to "shop local." Nothing even close available within driving distance. (This was for a network-controllable power strip needed in a major metro in Florida.)
Posted by: Black
Date: November 18, 2013 10:16PM
I opted for regular ground on my mower and I think it came in 2 days.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: November 18, 2013 11:34PM
pdq

No no no.
You're supposed to browse local ^H^H^H Big Box stores, then buy from Amazon, making Best Buy the unofficial Amazon showroom.
You're doing it wrong.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 19, 2013 02:29AM
Thanks vis.

I can't wait to see how it affects delivery for me.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Felix
Date: November 19, 2013 09:02AM
Seacrest
No no no.
You're supposed to browse local ^H^H^H Big Box stores, then buy from Amazon, making Best Buy the unofficial Amazon showroom.
You're doing it wrong.

Another way to save money is to stiff your servers at bars and restaurants.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: November 19, 2013 02:53PM
Ordered a new gps chip by two day for a last minute trip (with two days to spare). Item arrived five days after I had left. Emailed amazon to ask if I would be able to return item when I got back. They said ok but on my return three weeks later, said they had made a mistake and would not take back. Grrrr.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 19, 2013 05:18PM
Just ordered 12 bags of coffee from Amz Warehouse Sunday (11/17)
morning w/ regular free shipping.
It arrived this afternoon burnout smiley

Newegg w/ Shop Runner usually takes 3 business days for an
order placed Thur-Sun.; 2 days for an order place M-W.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018