advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My uncle decided he wants a Mac for his consulting work. Which one?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 19, 2013 09:29PM
He is consulting at home for his old company and has a Dell w/ Vista expanded to 7 (I think) he is sick of. He is behind the times technically because he always IT to handle things. He said he wants a Mac.

His files are very important and they are all in Word except about 25% are PDFs.

He has plenty of money but is frugal, so would like to keep it under $600. He doesn't need a laptop. I was going to recommend a $509 refurb Mini bought with his AMEX card to get a 2-year-warranty without paying for an extended Apple warranty.

But, he fell in love with the looks of the Mac Pro. I wonder how a used one from $500-600 would be. The drawbacks I can see of the 1,1 are it will only hold 500 GB hard drives. However, if I read right, the ram for them is much cheaper than for the later ones.

So, his needs are reliability, easy backup, and iTunes and youtube while he is working at home.

I can keep him afloat with minor things in a tower (HDDs, RAM, etc.), but not in a Mini.

Any ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My uncle decided he wants a Mac for his consulting work. Which one?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 19, 2013 09:51PM
He sounds like a difficult man. He might not "need" a laptop but an mba would be awfully nice. I think the mini is a good idea. better than buying outdated tech. (even if its pretty fast)

Posted by: sekker
Date: November 19, 2013 09:55PM
I'd get him a mini and an external TM hard drive, if he's not willing to consider a laptop.

My FIL went from a desktop to a laptop, and he loves the ability to work in his comfy chair...
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 19, 2013 10:06PM
Id just tell him straight up that $600 isnt enough.

How much storage does he need?

A mini would be a great option. RAM is silly stupid to install. (although new minis are due soon)

However -- I agree with the MBPr option. But thats $1500 (although BB has some BF sales)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 19, 2013 10:15PM
jdc
However -- I agree with the MBPr option. But thats $1500 (although BB has some BF sales)

I think the 13" MBP at around $1000 is still a great buy. Very easy to upgrade to an SSD down the line, too.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 19, 2013 10:16PM
steer him toward something new/apple refurb. if he's without an IT dept then he'll want somewhere to take the machine if it has problems.

Date: November 19, 2013 10:51PM
jdc
How much storage does he need?

Not a lot for Word and PDFs. But he does need lots of redundant backup redundancy.
Date: November 19, 2013 11:07PM
sekker
I think the 13" MBP at around $1000 is still a great buy. Very easy to upgrade to an SSD down the line, too.

I have a hard time with it. Older chip, slower HD 4000 graphics and lower resolution. I get that its easy to drop in a SSD and even bump the ram -- and for many people thats great.

But for the non power users -- like Dennis' dad and my wife -- the MBPr is better for the long run

BB is going to have the base 2.4 i5, 4GB ram, 128 GB PCIe unit for $1099 on BF -- which is where it should be all the time -- which would should last for years. Add a pocket 1T USB 3 drive or even a 64 GB SD card for more storage.

----

Posted by: TheToddler
Date: November 20, 2013 02:32AM
$600?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 20, 2013 06:40AM
But, he fell in love with the looks of the Mac Pro. I wonder how a used one from $500-600 would be. The drawbacks I can see of the 1,1 are it will only hold 500 GB hard drives. However, if I read right, the ram for them is much cheaper than for the later ones.

This information doesn't sound right. A G5 can use drives much larger than 500 GB, hard to believe that a 1st gen Mac Pro can't do that. And the RAM for the first gen machine was far more expensive than RAM for later models, the last time I looked.

You can probably find a 1,1 Mac Pro on eBay that already has a decent amount of RAM installed. But I think he'd be better off spending a bit more for a 2009 model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 06:40AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 20, 2013 07:08AM
Don't know where you came up with the 500GB drive limitation in a Mac Pro 1,1. I've got 4 drives in mine that are 2 to 4 TB each. The only limitation that I'm aware of is that the 1,1 doesn't seem to like 4TB boot drives - I kept getting corruption errors.

That said, I wouldn't buy a 1,1. It's stuck at 10.7 and is getting long in the tooth.

For what he plans on using a computer for, I would go with a mini. Add an external or two for Time Machine and be done. Once Apple releases a new Mini, I may upgrade to one to retire my Mac Pro 1,1. Even the current version Mini blows my Pro away in most categories. I'll just have to find a decent 4 bay JBOD enclosure and an external blu-ray drive and I will be set.
Posted by: clay
Date: November 20, 2013 08:14AM
yup, agree with everyone hereā€¦the mini is the way to go for your uncle. That MP is attractive, but you'll get a lot more bang for his buck (and lower power bills) from a recent mini. I went from a MP 1,1 to a 2011 mini, and I haven't regretted the move for one minute. Put up to 2 drives internally in the mini, and that's more than enough for most folks. Plus, you still have decent external expansion options for other backup drives, peripherals, etc.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 20, 2013 08:32AM
If your uncle's budget is limited to $600, I would not recommend he switch to a Mac. Just buying a Mac version of MS Office will set him back another couple of hundred or so. And he'll have to spend time learning his way around a new OS.

I got a Dell Vostro for my wife for $500, running Win 7 from the Dell Outlet store. That line has been discontinued, but there are plenty of Optiplexes, etc. with modern processors for short money. And you can add drives to the towers, too.

A friend switched from an aging PC to a Mini a few years ago; he took the intro course at the Apple Store, but I'm still getting frustrated emails asking how to do simple things. Not everyone is as clueless as my friend, but switching has its hazards, and at least your uncle knows his way around Win7 (which I still don't; took me long enough to learn XP).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: November 20, 2013 08:55AM
mrlynn
If your uncle's budget is limited to $600, I would not recommend he switch to a Mac. Just buying a Mac version of MS Office will set him back another couple of hundred or so. And he'll have to spend time learning his way around a new OS.

I got a Dell Vostro for my wife for $500, running Win 7 from the Dell Outlet store. That line has been discontinued, but there are plenty of Optiplexes, etc. with modern processors for short money. And you can add drives to the towers, too.

A friend switched from an aging PC to a Mini a few years ago; he took the intro course at the Apple Store, but I'm still getting frustrated emails asking how to do simple things. Not everyone is as clueless as my friend, but switching has its hazards, and at least your uncle knows his way around Win7 (which I still don't; took me long enough to learn XP).

/Mr Lynn

Actually, the $600 number came from me suggesting he get a new PC or PC laptop for about that amount. He said he was fed up with Windows and wanted a Mac. I told him there was a sizable premium for Macs, but he might get a refurb Mini or used one for that amount. Even if he decided to spring for a new Air or MacBook, I would be reluctant to steer him into spending that much money for a something none of us are sure he would like or take to.

I'm seeing him again Thursday and we'll hash it out some more.
Date: November 20, 2013 10:33AM
Telling him theres a premium is on the right track. Whenever I get the mac question, its the first thing I mention. "Its not cheap, figure $1200 for a basic laptop..." and if they are still interested then go from there.

Great thing about getting that brand new MBPr at BB for $1099? You could probably sell it for the same price in 2 months if he hated it. =)

As for Office -- theres always OpenOffice (free) which works great. MS Office 2010 Home/Student Version is under $100.

----

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 21, 2013 05:23AM
Take him shopping at the Apple Store (B&M version.) Let him pick his own. For his use, the display is far more important than the computer. He could get by with a G5 tower for Word and PDFs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018