Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Slingbox 350 $20 off to $119, opinions please
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 23, 2013 10:09AM
[slickdeals.net]

I have a DirecTV Genie DVR but it will not allow me to watch programs I want when I am on the road. I am hoping this Slingbox can allow that. IT isn't HDMI but composite so does it have to deal with any encryption issues? The SD forum seems unsure about that. The DTV Genie DVR has composite out ports.

I appreciate any opinions anyone may have about this 350 unt or something similar that works for them. Thanks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Slingbox 350 $20 off to $119, opinions please
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 23, 2013 10:22AM
Component and composite, right? Should work if your premium TV box has the proper outputs.
Posted by: jims
Date: December 23, 2013 10:45AM
Don't know about the Slingbox 350, but I have the sling box pro and D TV HR34 DVR. It works well. I am in San Francisco watching the football games from my DVR in Arkansas. Have had a few dropouts and had to quit the app and restart. The great thing about this is you can watch your recorded shows that D TV won't let you do from their app.

jims
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 23, 2013 11:34AM
ZERO issues. Get it if you want it.

I've had an original Slingbox since Day 1 (it still works with current DirecTV receivers and the Slingmedia app, despite what the requirements say - I have that one now on a secondary bedroom receiver as a backup for me), and I'm still rocking a Solo unit, because it streams in HD; again, despite the claims that it won't. I've had the original PocketPC/Windows Mobile app when it was first released, and then the iPhone/iPod app, and then the iPad app. Great stuff.

The newer units though have much better compression (H.264) and the playback utilizes much less bandwidth and looks terrific. I've toyed with getting a 350 myself, but just haven't pulled the trigger.

You can connect your receiver to the TV with the HDMI cable, as normal, and also plug in the component/etc. cables into the output on the back of the receiver - it will all work simultaneously.

You will have access to ALL functions of your receiver, including DVR (as said above). Enjoy!

Posted by: dewdude
Date: February 01, 2014 06:19PM
onthedownlow
I'm still rocking a Solo unit, because it streams in HD; again, despite the claims that it won't.

I normally don't register for random forums I find through Google to correct a statement; but despite your claims, Slingbox Solo does not send out a HD stream in any form. It is capable of receiving a 1080i signal through component on the cable/satellite box; but it is only capable of streaming a standard def signal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 06:20PM by dewdude.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 149
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018