advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do you think of the site "Nextdoor"
Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 21, 2014 08:28PM
Is it safe? Is there a way for outsiders to "stalk".
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do you think of the site "Nextdoor"
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 21, 2014 08:37PM
My neighborhood has been using it. Reading through their policies I felt safe in setting it up. Since I'm the one who defined the neighborhood I don't see how anyone can stalk. The one who sets it up is also an admin. But everyone can see who joined and if they really belong. You can "turn on" the ability to see other neighborhoods. That's the only thing I'd be careful with. Then again, that also gives you an opportunity to see crime kind of stuff nearby. Anytime you post you do get to select who gets to see the post.

If no one has referred you I wouldn't mind doing so. They give gift certificates to Amazon to both the referrer and the referred.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 21, 2014 09:21PM
We use it quite a bit in Ventura. It's not easy to sign up if you don't actually live in the neighborhood -- you'd have to have the cooperation of somebody in the neighborhood. They validate your address by sending an actual postcard to your home and then you type the code into the web form. And, the outside world can't peek in.

The Ventura PD does a great job posting maps of home burglaries & thefts from vehicles every week, plus anything else that generates a press release. I wish more people would use it. If people actually knew their neighbors, it would prevent so many of our problems.
Date: January 21, 2014 09:25PM
I joined it already, but was having second thoughts. Sorry Pam I did not know about the invites
Posted by: what4
Date: January 21, 2014 09:32PM
Use it, too. Seems good.
Date: January 21, 2014 09:58PM
Seems to be a lot more breaking and entering crimes. Nextdoor folks are trying to get up their own neighborhood watch.

Gaining access by 2nd story decks with no outside staircase. Most disturbing part is while people are at home, with neighbors within earshot of burglar alarms going off, and they do nothing. Police are taking more than 30 minutes to respond. My close neighborhood runs across county line, and neither county responds. All police seem to be hanging out in the bad areas just a mile or two away.

No members in the 2 condo complexes in my immediate hood. I am the first in my complex of 55.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: January 21, 2014 10:32PM
I set up my neighborhood about a year and a half ago and it's been a great success for us. Lost dogs, free stuff, crime alerts, where's the snow plow? -- all sorts of things find a home there.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 21, 2014 11:48PM
We joined ours a while ago, six months maybe? I'm so bad with time! Anyhow, I'm glad we joined for any number of reasons, including free stuff and stuff for sale and staying abreast of crimes in the neighborhood and things like discussing the best delivery places and such.

Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 22, 2014 08:12AM
I'm the founder of my neighborhood, which it encompasses just under 5,000 households.

Several other neighborhoods have started around us since I started ours, because of the feedback and word of mouth of those outside of our neighborhood. It's been great.

It is a great tool once people start participating in it. As said above, mainly for crime, pets, for sale/wanted, block parties, and various events.

Once it gets going it starts to take on a life of its own, as there are many people that 'do nothing' all day and this is just like Facebook for them, but on a local level, and they love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 08:12AM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 22, 2014 09:43AM
Looks interesting, but the only way to find out if anyone else in my hood has signed up is to actually sign up myself? Theres no way to check to see if there are others in my hood are signed up?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 22, 2014 10:02AM
I just checked it out, tried to join and did, but whew, it's not designed for defining neighborhood with iPad! I had lines going six ways from Sunday! Browser finally crashed, guess it was overloaded. Seems no body in my area is on it, and I don't know anyone here except to greet. I'll see if I can get it to work...

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 22, 2014 07:26PM
GuyGene
I just checked it out, tried to join and did, but whew, it's not designed for defining neighborhood with iPad! I had lines going six ways from Sunday! Browser finally crashed, guess it was overloaded. Seems no body in my area is on it, and I don't know anyone here except to greet. I'll see if I can get it to work...

You can send out free postcards, via the site, to your neighbors. In the beginning, they alot you 100 a month - after your site grows, that'll dwindle down to 5 per month (but others can also use up to 5 per month).

Just click on the invite by postcards and just select homes randomly in your defined neighborhood. It'll build quick and through word-of-mouth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020