advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for a cheap TV-suggestions?
Posted by: Mrs. M A V I C
Date: January 21, 2014 08:37PM
I'm looking for a cheap TV for my Mom. She said preferably under 30 inches but I'm thinking a 32 would be fine. I think she'd like to spend as little as possible. I have found a few 32 in. for around $160 or so. Since she doesn't need the fanciest or best quality one, are the "off brands" ok? Some I have never heard of such as Sceptre and Seiki. Similar brands that are more trusted such as Panasonic and Samsung are on the pricier side for the same size. I don't think those would be worth the extra for her.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for a cheap TV-suggestions?
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 21, 2014 08:50PM
I wouldn't buy a made-in-China offbrand; odds are it'll be dead within a fairly short time, and then you'll end up buying another TV anyways.

You should be able to find a 32" brand name for around $250 tops nowadays
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 21, 2014 08:58PM
I have two 32" 720p Sceptre TVs I purchased from Walmart at different times. They have been fine. An external set of speakers is needed to improve the sound quality, but the picture and features are certainly acceptable.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 21, 2014 09:08PM
Check out floor models from places like Target.

Our 32" Vizio is excellent - was the last one, and a demo unit. I was able to get it 30% off the sale price, or about half off.

I waited to get it because it has excellent speakers (for a relatively low-end, flat screen monitor TV).
Posted by: ~Dan
Date: January 21, 2014 09:51PM
I received a 32" Vizio Smart TV for Father's Day that has been wonderful … the picture is very good, but the big surprise has been the excellent sound from the built-in speakers.

I also use it for a display monitor on occasion … smooth as silk.

My boys told me that they paid just over $200.00 for it.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: January 21, 2014 10:04PM
Vizio
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 22, 2014 06:54AM
Get a model that has a minimum of 120 Hz refresh rate. Window shop at Best Buy, choose three or four brands and models that look good, then shop on-line.

Put it on M A V I C's credit card. Remember, nothing is too good for your mother so spend, spend, spend.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 22, 2014 07:09AM
Speedy's advice is spot-on, especially if M A V I C and your mom get along. In fact, he'd only accept a nice one for her.

Seriously though, if it takes $100 more to get a decent one, do it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 22, 2014 07:16AM
Check Sears:

[dealmac.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 22, 2014 08:17AM
Toshiba and LG models typically have the best built-in speakers and should be great (no external speakers needed), in my personal and professional experience. Many other models, especially if they are really 'thin' just have the enough-to-get-you-by tinny-sounding speakers.

Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: January 22, 2014 08:36AM
I've got to go with Vizio as well. I paid $150 for the 24" LED on sale at Target. It's just a TV, nothing great.
It consumes ~24 watts while on, while off, the consumption is in the noise level of a Kill-A-Watt.
It replaced a ~2002AD Sharp 25" that was rather thirsty: ~125 watts.
At ~4 hours a day, it will pay for itself in around eight years; at that point I'll probably want to buy a new one anyway.

I get good life out of TVs; this is the fourth one that I've bought in the last 30 years.
If I really care about what's on, or I have a decent DVD, I fire up a projector.

Oh, it's 1080P, and looks great fed off of the Mini or Air.

Eustace
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 22, 2014 09:29AM
I have been looking at 32" for our bedroom for some time and have narrowed it down to this westinghouse. Under $200, tons of great reviews and its very thin with a small bezel. (last 2 things are more important to me since Im going to hang it in a small space.) Just an added bonus that it has great reviews.

its pretty basic, but it sounds like thats all you need: [www.newegg.com]

FWIW, superbowl weeekend might have some deals...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Z
Date: January 22, 2014 09:46AM
These guys recommend this (and keep their recommendations up to date).

[m.thewirecutter.com]
Date: January 22, 2014 09:48AM
jdc
...westinghouse...

barf smiley

Unless they've seriously increased their longevity, I'd stay away from them. From previous threads, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only forum denizen who has experienced short-lived Westinghouse TVs
Posted by: h linamen
Date: January 22, 2014 10:05AM
SDGuy
jdc
...westinghouse...

barf smiley

Unless they've seriously increased their longevity, I'd stay away from them. From previous threads, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only forum denizen who has experienced short-lived Westinghouse TVs

I too would stay away from Westinghouse. Had a 19" go bad in just a couple years. Junk.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 22, 2014 10:09AM
SDGuy
jdc
...westinghouse...

barf smiley

Yeah, I had the same reaction. But everyone likes to flaunt reviews as gospel -- and the thing has great reviews. And my needs are specific... I want thin. Nothing else in 32" even comes close.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 22, 2014 10:26AM
$279 for a 39" Philips on woot today.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 22, 2014 11:36AM
Check out Best Buy clearance deals. You can see some (but not all) local inventory at B B's website.
Posted by: Mrs. M A V I C
Date: January 22, 2014 12:49PM
OK. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have found 2 I am going back and forth on.

This RCA from Sears has a built in DVD player which I know she would like.

And this Philips on Woot has Net TV so I could set her up with Netflix on there if she got wireless internet.

She spends a lot on DVDs to watch on her laptop so the DVD player might be good. But I would almost rather get her set up on Netflix and so the TV that has that capability might be better.

Thoughts?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 22, 2014 02:02PM
Mrs Mavic,

Do NOT by an RCA tv. I repeat. DO NOT BUY AN RCA TV. They are garbage! I bought a 24" model and the sound quality was so bad that I donated it to my office which delegated it for use with its video surveillance system. It's on a file cabinet right next to me. Here are some other issues with it:

The tuner sucks.

The TV slants slightly forward and down on the base.

The HDMI ports are poorly placed. As a result, standard HDMI cables don't go into them well.

Feels cheap. Because it was cheap.

Horrible aesthetics. Not really an issue for me but could be one for you.

Despite all that, the picture quality is decent. But, that in itself doesn't outweigh the other issues with the TV. Not by a longshot.

I repeat once more. DO NOT BUY AN RCA FLAT PANEL TV OF ANY KIND!

Robert
Date: January 22, 2014 04:22PM
LG 32LN530B (32" LED backlit) for $229, brand new, free shipping or free store pickup at WallyWorld.

LG's product page
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 22, 2014 04:26PM
wow, Robert hates RCA TVs even more than he hates Brother Printers, LOL
Posted by: particleman
Date: January 22, 2014 05:27PM
Also buying a TV with built-in DVD player is another failure point. It is also just DVD and not Blu-Ray.

The RCA also only has one HDMI port. Two port would be better for hooking up both a cable/satellite tuner and DVD player.

I too like Vizio. You can trim a few bucks off of the price on a model if you forgo built-in internet capabilities. Although, it is very nice to fire up just the TV and watch something on Netflix. Every Vizio I have had, three and counting, had a good set of speakers.

I have the 39" Vizio model of the one reviewed in Z's post. I like it quite a bit. It also has an ethernet port in lieu of access to a wireless network. Great picture. Good sound although mainly I use the surround system.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 22, 2014 10:36PM
I would definitely get an RCA. No question.

Just kidding. I would stay away from the old American brands like Zenith, RCA, Magnavox, Westinghouse, etc. And, the Japanese or Korean sounding names you've never heard of. I've been hearing lots of good things about Vizio.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 23, 2014 11:50AM
Space,

LOL! Seriously, though. I have issues with the design of the RCA TV. But, I have to give credit where it's due. It's performed admirably as a monitor for our video surveillance system. We use it as a TV occasionally. Kind of annoying since with rabbit ears we only only get a handful of channels and all but one or two of them are in Spanish. I may end up throwing a cheap Roku onto it as a means of making the TV more useful. But, then there are the sound quality and HDMI port problems...

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 11:50AM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020