advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you think Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic cream could lead to super bugs?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 21, 2014 08:39PM
I didn't find a definite answer on the net.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you think Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic cream could lead to super bugs?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 21, 2014 08:41PM
If you spread it all over everything, then eventually yes I think it could happen.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 21, 2014 08:43PM
No, but it will mean the stuff won't work anymore. Now if they feed it to livestock then maybe.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 08:44PM by Speedy.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 21, 2014 08:46PM
no
Date: January 21, 2014 08:53PM
To clarify, I mean within the patient, not in the population in general.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: January 21, 2014 09:06PM
Dennis S

Are you eating a lot of it lately?
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 21, 2014 09:06PM
Dennis S

No.

But we have not been spending ANY $$ in finding new antibiotics. Once bugs have evolved resistnace to the current stock, then we're going to see deaths that have been largely absent in the 20th century.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: January 21, 2014 09:09PM
Not much of a chance of that happening because there would have to be three simultaneous mutations.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 21, 2014 09:11PM
JEBB
Not much of a chance of that happening because there would have to be three simultaneous mutations.

Most antibiotic resistance genes are gain of function events. Would just need parallel gene transfer from a benign triple resistant bacteria into a pathogen.

Might happen, but would be very rare.
Date: January 21, 2014 09:16PM
sekker
JEBB

Most antibiotic resistance genes are gain of function events. Would just need parallel gene transfer from a benign triple resistant bacteria into a pathogen.

Might happen, but would be very rare.

...And probably localized to a tiny area of skin.

If you've got flesh eating bacteria ravaging your body after using Neo, you can be sure that the flesh eating bacteria was there before the Neo.

(Actually, most of us are crawling with flesh eating bacteria.)
Posted by: davester
Date: January 21, 2014 10:02PM
JEBB

No, that's not correct. First off, you have no idea whether it would take one, three, or a hundred mutations to produce bugs resistant to those antibiotics. In addition, if use of the antibiotics in combination is common, then evolutionary pressure will favor the bugs that are resistant to all of them. Out of the countless numbers of mutations that occur over a few bacterial generations, it will not take long to select for those resistant to all three.

The key to continued antibiotic efficacy is sparing uses of antibiotics only when needed. It's the only way to reduce the velocity of bacterial evolution. Unfortunately, this society has embraced antibacterial everything as the accepted method of "clean" (e.g. antibacterial soaps and other cleaners) and many doctors inappropriately give out antibiotics like candy for virus infections, so many of our kitchen and bathroom spaces will soon be populated by superbugs and formerly easily controlled bacterial infections will soon become impossible to fight.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 21, 2014 10:29PM
In addition to what Davester said (that makes twice we agree in two days!), in some countries (e.g. India, though maybe it has changed since I was there in the late '60s) antibiotics are freely available from pharmacies without prescriptions.

BTW, there have been articles recently claiming that 'antibacterial' soaps are no more effective than plain soap and water, and not nearly as good as plain rubbing alcohol.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 21, 2014 10:41PM
Dennis S

Yes, the patient could develop superbugs. Once antibiotics are stopped, the superbugs are usually completely overwhelmed by more benign bacteria.

Edit: best to use an antiseptic, not an antibiotic, whenever possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 11:01PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 21, 2014 10:43PM
Most of what davester said. Depending on the application, it could work well for a current infection that was not a superbug. The problem is that it could kill off beneficial strains that are sitting there keeping the superbugs in check, allowing them to take hold and start destroying massive tracts of flesh. smiley-shocked003

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: January 21, 2014 10:59PM
mrlynn
plain rubbing alcohol.

As long as it is 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol) and not denatured ethanol. 2-propanol does not exist naturally so bugs aren't used to surviving exposure to it like they can with ethanol. But both kill quite well by rapidly desiccating bacteria.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 21, 2014 11:09PM
The problem is one of not using enough of an antibiotic, or not using it long enough.

If a doctor tells you: "TAKE THESE PILLS FOR 10 DAYS", he does not mean 5, 7, or however many days you feel like taking them, he means 10 DAYS.

It also means that you need to take your pills at the proper time interval to make sure that the concentration of antibiotics is high enough to kill the baddies off. If the concentration gets too low, guess what? The bacteria that survive will be the ones that have at least some resistance to the antibiotic.
Date: January 21, 2014 11:47PM
freeradical
The problem is one of not using enough of an antibiotic, or not using it long enough.

That's what got me to wondering about this. Usually when I use triple antibiotics, it's only for a couple days since it usually fixes the boo boo I put it on.
Date: January 21, 2014 11:55PM
Dennis S
freeradical

That's what got me to wondering about this. Usually when I use triple antibiotics, it's only for a couple days since it usually fixes the boo boo I put it on.

The primary goal of using a topical antibiotic is to prevent nasties from getting into your blood and making you ill through the break in your skin. A couple of days is usually enough for it to do that job, assuming that the nasties that got in from the original puncture didn't already do you in.

There's also the "promotes" healing aspect which supposedly shortens the time that it takes for a wound to close up and minimize scarring, primarily through keeping the site moist. There's been a bit of a change in the winds about that in recent years. Many types of wounds may heal better when "dry."
Date: January 22, 2014 06:08AM
Dennis S
freeradical

Topical is quite different than oral which is more different than IV which is a bit different than IP. As Chak says, don't use a topical for more than a day or so for a wound. Once the wound is sealing, quit the topical and cover it with a band-aid. Feel free to use an antiseptic thereafter. If the wound doesn't get better quickly, see a doctor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 06:09AM by Speedy.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 22, 2014 08:00AM
yes.....I do think so....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: haikuman
Date: January 24, 2014 06:00AM
When people do not take care of there wound and scratches aggressively it can lead to problems.

Living in Hawaii for almost 28 years I am able to share my personal and practical experiences.
Clean your wounds with Betadine and Peroxide. Apply Neosporin as needed to potentially infected/affected areas.

Do not stop cleaning your wounds with Peroxide or Betadine until you have seen some relief.

Wounds that are kept clean and dry will heal . . . duh ~!~

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020